Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What 2011 Race Gun for Me?

brennon272

Hello everyone!

I know this is my first post, but ive been patrolling this forum for about two years now, and ive mostly been involved in Single Stack competitive shooting. Ive saved my pennies and am ready to go for the open division as its something ive always wanted to do. Ive got a maximum budget of around 7500$. So i should have a good many options from what ive been seeing. I love the SVI and Limcat guns but a 1+year wait is a bit too long for me. I've been thinking about just purchasing an STI Grandmaster in 9mm and shoot 9 major out of it and then just replace the grips and add accessories as i go, since the GM is readily available. Any input would be greatly appreciated! I already reload so im gtg in that department, however i will need a new holster system, and i am a lefty so any input on what you guys/gals like the most is greatly appreciated!

I wouldn't go for the STI GM. It's too much money and a heavy gun, no true custom features. You'll learn a lot when you first enter open that will allow you to make a more educated decision as to what you want. A reliable used gun may be the better route. Keep saving your pennies in the meantime and buy what suits you when you have facts to support what will suit your shooting style and needs. Good luck in open, be patient and it will come to you.

I've got a maximum budget of 7500$.

I love the SVI and Limcat guns but a 1+year wait is long.

I've been thinking about purchasing an STI Grandmaster in 9mm major

I'd go with (MATTER OF FACT , I DID) go with a TruBor for $2500 or so -= great gun

for the past 7 years.

Makes a great backup gun if you decide to spend $7000, down the road (may not need to): :cheers:

Another big +1 for Akai. Short wait time compared to other top smiths, he uses excellent parts, has an astronomical amount of knowledge and is a super cool dude as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SouthernGunsLLC

I went TruBor while some other guys I know went custom "Bedell".

Theirs are great guns but none of them or me can shoot to the ability of the gun, i.e. custom

I shoot high B class field course scores at my local club and ranked the same with it.

I've been allowed to shoot some of the masters guns and at my skill level I don't do any better with the custom guns, but they sure are nice and as should be slicker!!!!

Starting out a used gun from a local club member may be a good choice or a TruBor to get your feet wet and as said before would make a great back up gun when you take the plunge to custom.

With your budget you might contact Dan Bedell and get a price from him on a custom, by the time its done you'll have figured out open with a used TruBor and still be under budget. Think Bedell's guns are about 4k but call him.

He is well respected and is currently the guy build Max Michelles guns

Good fortune in open

jcc7x7

There is also Matt Cheely if you do stick with a custom build. Last I knew his lead times where reasonable as well, although I must be honest I'm still scraping my pennies together for a 2011 Limited gun of any kind let alone an open gun (as much as I want one).

Matt has a subforum here (CCGunworks) so might be worth taking a look at.

I would say GANs, but he retired.

For the money a Trubore is an excellent choice. In fact, I cracked a slide on my open gun and borrowed a stock Trubore last summer and made Master shooting it! I had to get use to the timing, but It won't hold you back.

After awhile, you might get a new lightened slide fitted, but frankly, it's not necessary, you can go to the top with a stock Trubore.

If I had the money I'd really do some research before I gave a top smith any money. You don't want to talk to the shooters that have nothing bad to say. IMHO you want to search out the shooters that that might not have had the best experience and find out how that was handled by the smith. It takes a little bit of work but it will pay off.

I've seen several guns from top smiths over the years that wouldn't work, had to be sent back, smith didn't pay shipping, shooter waited months for a fix. Finally gets the gun, still doesn't work, and is expected to pay shipping and wait for half a season to get a fix.

If I had to name a couple smiths that I think would be stand up, one is right here in Indiana, but I am not sure if he really wants to smith full time yet. The other is Matt Cheely up in Michigan. I don't have a Cheely gun, but I would feel confident giving Matt my money. Matt is an innovative engineer type and a stand up guy. If something is wrong with his work or a problem arises, I've heard you don't wait around, he makes it right.

Nothing is more crazy than spending big bucks, $4,000 or more, then discovering a hiccup and being told to ship it back. Then waiting for another 2-3 months or longer before you get it back, only to rcv gun that still hiccups and have to pay shipping. I've heard this story over and over, it's frustrating for the shooter and I think unfair.

If a smith builds me a gun I want priority service if it malfunctions. I'd be pissed if I was told I had to wait to get it fixed longer than a couple weeks.

Even though Gary Natale (GANs) is retired, I'll use him as my example of a great smith. Indiana state match is 2 weeks away and my GANs is hiccuping. I can't figure it out so I call Gary. We determine I possibly have a chamber that is out of spec. I order a new barrel and have it sent to him, then mail him my gun. Gary fits my new barrel and blends my slide to it then re blues the gun and sends it back. Total time from shipping it to getting it back was less than a week. GANs is a friggin gun genius and I miss him.

He owned that gun and all his work, kinda like Dillon does their presses. That's the kind of smith you want!

Again, I've heard Matt Cheely is that kind of smith.

Good luck.

Edited by Chris iliff

Yes, Matt Cheely is that kind of builder! He built mine and when I need or want something done to it he gets it back to me ASAP! In my humble opinion you can't get much better than a Cheely.

I emailed Matt Cheely about a month ago, and he said his wait time was around 13 months, so probably too long for the OP, but I'd contact him just to make sure things haven't changed.

I emailed Matt Cheely about a month ago, and he said his wait time was around 13 months, so probably too long for the OP, but I'd contact him just to make sure things haven't changed.

I've been approx. 8 months out for a while now.

I cracked a slide on my open gun and borrowed a stock Trubor! I had to get use to the timing

Chris, all I've shot are the two TruBor's I own - I've never had the privilege of shooting

a "custom" gun.

What was different about the "timing" of the two guns - I've also heard you can't get as light

a trigger pull with a TruBor as with a custom gun.

Any other differences?

Jack

My trubor has an incredibly light trigger thanks to Eddie at Cameron's. You can have almost any weight trigger, just have to find someone that knows what their doing... Akai, and Cheely definitely know what their doing. The ignition kit they use has everything to do with it, which would make a much nicer trigger than the stock parts.

With a $7500 budget. I would pick up 2 different style used open guns. Shoot them both for a whole season and see what style you like better. Then order a custom gun built to your preferred taste and sell one of the used guns

If I was going to pick one new gun to buy right now it would be a fullsize stroked Akai with the new comp and couple of popple holes. It shot better than any of my open guns. I shot very soft and flat and just seemed to hunt down As.

I cracked a slide on my open gun and borrowed a stock Trubor! I had to get use to the timing

Chris, all I've shot are the two TruBor's I own - I've never had the privilege of shootinga "custom" gun.What was different about the "timing" of the two guns - I've also heard you can't get as lighta trigger pull with a TruBor as with a custom gun.Any other differences?Jack

First, you can get the trigger on a stock Trubore down to whatever you want, you just have to know how it's done. I let a good smith handle that, or a buddy I know who is good with triggers. Thank goodness I know people like that.

Second, TIMING, on every gun is a little different. When talking about open guns it can really change depending on slide weight, compensator, recoil spring weight, and a host of other factors. When my good friend CB45 let me use his Trubore the slide was not lightened and for me the gun ran slow. Of course this makes sense as I was coming from a complete custom GANs with all the bells and whistles. But, after several hundred rounds, mostly doing Bill Drills, I started feeling comfortable and went on to make Master with that stock Trubore.

I started with a bone stock Competitor, which is the forerunner to the Trubore. I remember when I was running a plate machine and felt like I was "waiting" on the dot. After some slide lightening and spring changes, the gun was waiting on me so to speak, lol.

As a caveat, I'd like to add, that grip plays a significant role. The better the grip, stronger, harder or vice-like, the faster the sights will steady after a shot. I didn't fully understand this when I first had my slide done.

like the others have said go for the TruBor i started out with one and had it for years and never had a problem with it from the word go,a mate of mine had a custom gun made at double the price and was forever sending it back to get sorted out, I've got a STI grandmaster and love it,one thing i will say is don't get the sti mags I've never had one that worked without the need of some work doing on them to get them to work,