Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What recoil spring are you using in G34?

CPW1265

Classifieds

11,527 posts

Posted Today, 09:22 PM

In a G34 a 13 pound spring is one of the first things most serious shooters do to the gun. Improves the tracking of the gun. Gets on target quicker on follow up shots. A strong spring slams the gun shut with enough force to make the nose dip when the gun locks up. A lighter spring reduces that forward energy and makes the gun more manageable. As for being too light, I have never talked to anybody who had lock up problems with a 13 pound spring in a 34. Now, an 11 pounder is another story. 11's can be shaken out of battery by hand sometimes they are that light and they get finicky when the gun gets dirty. A 34 will certainly come out of battery with an 11,especially if you stay with a stock striker spring. Of course once you start messing with light striker springs you risk light strikes so you would need a lightened and lengthened striker. Even after I went with an aftermarket light trigger and striker w/spring I still did not go lower than a 13 pound recoil spring. And with the 13 I could run the gun almost all year without cleaning it.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^100%

Edited by bowenbuilt

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This week I installed a Glockworx 12 Lb (blue) spring and SS guide rod with plug in my Gen4 G34.

Just home from the range this morning - using factory 115 gr ammo had many FTF and the blue paint turned to "gunk" which was caked all over the inside of the pistol. I did have a 14 lb (red) spring with me, but after seeing the mess from the blue spring I went back to stock for the rest of the morning.

Will try 13 & 15 lb ISMI springs next, not going to use any more painted springs ....................................

:):):)

I tried Wolff and ISMI 13# springs in my G34 with a 129-130 PF using 147 bullets. I preferred the ISMI and a Jager rod for this load. Not knocking Wolff as I use them in other pistols. It's worth trying both if you can as it is probably user preference. But I do know I can shoot faster with a 13# spring.

In a G34 a 13 pound spring is one of the first things most serious shooters do to the gun. Improves the tracking of the gun. Gets on target quicker on follow up shots. A strong spring slams the gun shut with enough force to make the nose dip when the gun locks up. A lighter spring reduces that forward energy and makes the gun more manageable. As for being too light, I have never talked to anybody who had lock up problems with a 13 pound spring in a 34. Now, an 11 pounder is another story. 11's can be shaken out of battery by hand sometimes they are that light and they get finicky when the gun gets dirty. A 34 will certainly come out of battery with an 11,especially if you stay with a stock striker spring. Of course once you start messing with light striker springs you risk light strikes so you would need a lightened and lengthened striker. Even after I went with an aftermarket light trigger and striker w/spring I still did not go lower than a 13 pound recoil spring. And with the 13 I could run the gun almost all year without cleaning it.

Exactly !!!

I also like a 13lb ISMI spring and rod at minor PF.

1) The lighter spring is more reliable in my pistol than stock weight with ~130 PF, heavy bullets, and small charges of fast powder.

2) It feels like the recoil impulse is over sooner and the gun shoots flatter with a neutral grip. This might be subjective, but the sight picture returns more quickly than the more gradual upward track and more pronounced dip as the slide snaps back into battery of a heavier spring.

OK... I already have a stainless guide rod that I have used with my 10mm, so you guys finally talked me into ordering a 13lb spring. Hopefully I'll have it by the time it warms up and is dry later this week.

Not a G34, but I run very similar power factor loads in my G35 and use a 13# recoil spring. I have considered bumping up to a 15# spring though, bc I feel like on slide lock reloads the gun is sluggish to return to battery. It does return every time and it passes the vertical trigger pull test and the return to battery from 1/8" out of battery test, but I would like a bit more confidence in it.

Not a G34, but I run very similar power factor loads in my G35 and use a 13# recoil spring. I have considered bumping up to a 15# spring though, bc I feel like on slide lock reloads the gun is sluggish to return to battery. It does return every time and it passes the vertical trigger pull test and the return to battery from 1/8" out of battery test, but I would like a bit more confidence in it.

I have had a similar problem when combining a 13# spring, dirty gun, and magazine full-loaded. With the 17rd magazine downloaded to 10, I never see it. If I am shooting factory ammunition or hotter reloads, I use a 15lb spring or the factory RSA.

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried a tungsten guide rod and a 13# spring in my glock 34 gen 4......Didn't care for it at all. I think it may have shot a little flatter but it was a sharp recoil. Going back to stock. I like it better.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

G34. Zev stainless guide rod and Blue spring. Had a little issue with the gun coming out of battery with the stock striker and striker spring. Switched to the lightened striker spring and skeletonized striker and have not had any problems since. I shoot 147grn with PF 130.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by FlightMedic376

I've had the 13lb spring in for a couple of weeks. Shoots just fine but I don't know that I can tell a difference. I need to take both springs with me and shoot them back to back.

That said,I did set a personal best the other day with a 1.76 Bill Drill. Never go close to that with the old spring... not sure if the spring really helped though.

I've had the 13lb spring in for a couple of weeks. Shoots just fine but I don't know that I can tell a difference. I need to take both springs with me and shoot them back to back.

That said,I did set a personal best the other day with a 1.76 Bill Drill. Never go close to that with the old spring... not sure if the spring really helped though.

Nah, your mojo was working plus you were holding your mouth right. :surprise:

Trust your timer.

Shoot the gun with the stock spring on the timer. Then a 13 pound spring, on the timer. Disregard any "this feels like that, or this" and look at the numbers.

13 pound spring should win all day long on splits, for aimed shots.

Hmm, I have an ISMI steel guide rod and have been using a 15 lb spring in my G34 for years and liked it. I just installed the same 15 lb spring on a Tungstun guide rod in my son's G17. Now you guys have me wondering what I may gain by going with the 13 lb spring???

We run a Berry 124gr RN with 4.0 gr TiteGroup making about a 135 PF.