Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why are Salomon shoes so popular for shooters?

JPG

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be interesting to see how these knock off Speedcross 3 shoes hold up over time. Usually knock off products look identical to their real counterparts but usually have build or material quality issues.

Realistically the primary feature of the Speedcross 3 shoes is the tread pattern and rubber compound used on the sole. These knock off shoes may be able to mimic the tread pattern, but they may be using a completely different rubber compound. Some people stating that the rubber knobs feel "Stiffer" than the normal shoes is a tell tale sign of a different rubber compound being used.

I would rather spend $100+ on a pair of "Real" shoes and know the quality and consistency of the product I am buying. Verses buying a knock off for half the price and rolling the dice on it being functionally or a quality equivalent of the real thing.

I think that people make a mountain out of a mole hill when it comes to the cost of shoes. Spending $100+ on high quality shoes is a drop in the bucket from an overall shooting expense perspective. Shoes are your "Tires" and yes, we are racing around the range. Do you think that serious motorsports competitors are trying to use cheap knock off tires when racing? NOPE. They use the real thing because they know the value of using the real thing.

If you want to save money in this sport, shoot less rounds in your training sessions and dry fire the drills instead. If you shoot 1000 less rounds by using a live fire / dry fire blend of training that is at least $100 in savings.

Agree. At best these are grey market shoes. Most likely they are counterfeit. Either way, you're probably supporting a criminal enterprise.

It will be interesting to see how these knock off Speedcross 3 shoes hold up over time. Usually knock off products look identical to their real counterparts but usually have build or material quality issues.

Realistically the primary feature of the Speedcross 3 shoes is the tread pattern and rubber compound used on the sole. These knock off shoes may be able to mimic the tread pattern, but they may be using a completely different rubber compound. Some people stating that the rubber knobs feel "Stiffer" than the normal shoes is a tell tale sign of a different rubber compound being used.

I would rather spend $100+ on a pair of "Real" shoes and know the quality and consistency of the product I am buying. Verses buying a knock off for half the price and rolling the dice on it being functionally or a quality equivalent of the real thing.

I think that people make a mountain out of a mole hill when it comes to the cost of shoes. Spending $100+ on high quality shoes is a drop in the bucket from an overall shooting expense perspective. Shoes are your "Tires" and yes, we are racing around the range. Do you think that serious motorsports competitors are trying to use cheap knock off tires when racing? NOPE. They use the real thing because they know the value of using the real thing.

If you want to save money in this sport, shoot less rounds in your training sessions and dry fire the drills instead. If you shoot 1000 less rounds by using a live fire / dry fire blend of training that is at least $100 in savings.

Agree. At best these are grey market shoes. Most likely they are counterfeit. Either way, you're probably supporting a criminal enterprise.

It's either I support the enterprise or Salomon does.... Made in the same place and I paid $20 per pair on my own or $90 if Salomon is the middle man. What's the difference really?

Somewhere, someone in a sweatshop makes these shoes, all that's changed is the purveyor....

Edited by Vanniek71

Only if ceteris paribus...

It's either I support the enterprise or Salomon does.... Made in the same place and I paid $20 per pair on my own or $90 if Salomon is the middle man. What's the difference really?

Somewhere, someone in a sweatshop makes these shoes, all that's changed is the purveyor....

• 3 weeks later...

I just got mine from Aliexpress yesterday and they are definitely not up to the same quality. I ordered more to just see how they are, but the laces broke immediately on pulling them.

Not the same material used for the strings. And the sole is not formed as well as legit Salomons. Not bad for $25 bucks, but I will stick with the brand name ones.

Took a little over a month from the time the order was placed until delivery.

I just got mine from Aliexpress yesterday and they are definitely not up to the same quality. I ordered more to just see how they are, but the laces broke immediately on pulling them.

Not the same material used for the strings. And the sole is not formed as well as legit Salomons. Not bad for $25 bucks, but I will stick with the brand name ones.

Took a little over a month from the time the order was placed until delivery.

I haven't had any of those issues with mine, wonder if it depends on seller?

• 1 month later...

just got mine last week , as it is very comfortable , a lot of glue is visible from the sole, this is my first time buying from aliexpress , those of you who got the same which dealer are you buying from , definitevly i would get another for that price

thanks

Got mine retail minus member discount at REI (Recreational Equipment, Inc.) in California. Lighter and a bit more comfortable than my Merrills. A bit better on the gravel that makes up the range surfaces of most of the local ranges I shoot at.

But I'm having the same problem as with other shoes - rock dust and dirt get into the laces and eyelets, making it hard to snug them down. For the Solomons, it's that sprung lace lock that gets hard to release. For the Merrills, I just change the laces, but what to do for the Solomons?

Any suggestions?

I wore out my last pair of Adidas softball cleats this past weekend with a tread separation ( I would like to believe it was due to my blazing speed but it was due to the mud, water and constant abuse) so I had to get another pair of something before Sunday's match. Went to REI and tried on a pair and was impressed. Bought them ($130) and wore them on Sunday. Nice fit, good traction and watched as 75% of the shooters who are dedicated to the sport also wore the same thing.......................We'll see how long they last but first impressions are good.

So how are all of these knock off SpeedCross 3 shoes working out?

Mine are working out outstanding! No issues thus far. Will be ordering again when these are used up.

Edited by Vanniek71

I have two pairs (one for me and one for my son) of the Ali Salmons. I've had zero problems with them. The quality seems to be up to par with anything I could buy in the US.

My son has almost outgrown his pair and I fully intend on "directly importing" them again. I have to travel to China every other year. I usually buy a cheap suitcase in China bring back "gifts" from China. Never had a problem clearing customs with my "gifts". I'll have to add some Salmon shoes to my "gifts for friends" suitcase next time. Last year when I was in China shoes were going for $5 - $10 a pair. Most of the stuff is pure "crap", but the shoes and luggage are generally top notch. I've learned to stay away from watches, electronics, handbags and clothing that are made in China but the stuff they make in Vietnam and bring into China is generally pretty good quality. You have to watch closely for the "bait and switch" in the Chinese markets. They will show you genuine products and after you negotiate they will run "to the back" to get you "factory fresh" product.

It's funny that the "Made in Vietnam" is sign of quality when buying these types of Chinese goods. I suppose they will start counterfeiting the Vietnam labels before long :)

Edited by razorfish

• 1 month later...

I just got my Ali Speedcrosses. I usually wear a 10-10.5 so I got the 11. I should of got the 11.5. Unfortunately I can't find the wides. For the price you can't go wrong and next month I will probabley get another pair. Mine came relatively quickly too about 3.5 weeks.

I have my Aliexpress Solomon's for three months now and wear them for shooting and occasions daily wear. So far one of the strings broke and ordered a replacement pair from REI. The ones that came with the shoes are different. They are larger diameter and appear to be a different material than the Kevlar replacements from REI. The rest of the shoe seems to be of good quality and waterproof. The only bad thing I noticed is that the molded in cleats wear out quickly. Don't know if that is the case with the ones purchased sate side.

Still I am satisfied since they only cost me $35 delivered.