Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Bullet Do You Like

Bart Solo

I am about to run out of my supply of 180 grain Berry Bullets that I have been using in my Glock 35, and thought it might be a good idea to look around before ordering more. I don't have any issues with Berry's product but I see a lot of people using Montana Gold. They swear by them. Others seem to like Bayou Bullets. I am looking for target bullets. They will be range fodder. In you experience what is the best all around combination of cost v. performance.

Edited by Bart Solo

I've shot several bullets from Lucky 13 Bullets but they're non-coated lead so you probably don't want to shoot them in your Glock 35. My current favorite for all calibers (.38 special, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP) are the Bayou bullets. As luck would have it I'm going by their shop within the next two weeks and I'm going to stop by and pick up a bunch to bring home with me.

Buy a case of Montana Gold or 6000 Precision Delta if you want jacketed. They are as good as any and better than almost any other. I can't understand NOT buying in bulk. The last two-seven years should have proved to everyone to buy in bulk and maintain a good supply.

I would only use plated if it was an emergency, and even then I would be lot happier to move to cast lead.

To me, plated is what you buy if you have to buy from a local gun store, none of whom stock Montana Gold, Precision Delta, or Zero Bullets and you can't afford Hornady/Speer/Sierra/Rem/Win bullets with their outrageous prices.

Buy Precision Bullets or Bayou Bullets for koted.

For .40, all I shoot are Mastercastbullets.com 155gn L-SWCs and am very happy with them. You may not be, so stick to jacketed or koted.

I've shot MG's, Berrys, Zeros, Everglades jacketed, and Rainier's. Liked them all for Lim out of my 35. Wound up getting a case of Xtreme 180 plated as partial in a trade. Haven't bought from anywhere else in well over a year. Barrel stays unfouled, no flecks of gold in my gun, and my feed ramp stays clean. They are accurate for me, and I've been happy with them.

I shot these so far out of XDM 5.25, STI 2011, and Tanfoglio Stock II:

• Berry's 180gr RN
  • FMP 180 RNFP CMJ's
  • BBI 180gr TC
  • The Blue Bullets 165gr RNFP and 195gr RNFP

The Berry's are just flat out reliable as far as feeding goes. Never had any issues with quality. I would not and will not use the BBI's. I've got some of the Moly coated ones and hate them. They are dirty to handle and within 200 rounds had started to gum up my seating die.

I've shot thousands of the FMP's in both 9mm and 40. They are cheaper than the MG's and IMHO I feel just as good if not better. These are my go to bullets.

The Blue Bullets are new to me and I am still evaluating them. So far I really like them. I think they poly coating is way better than the moly coating. Clean to work with and seem to be very accurate so far. The father and son that run the company are really nice guys and will go out of there way to answer the phone, emails and questions. I'd recommend giving them a look.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying the new BBI 125 gr, like them real well so far. This is the new coating, not the old moly coating. Price is good, rapid shipping (although I'm sure this varies by the volume of orders at any time). Give them a try.