Nick Weidhaas

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I spent a little time on the range yesterday with the GII. I used my Redfield 6-18x44mm Battlezone to shoot these groups.

As previously noted, the gun doesn't always lock open on the Gen3 PMAG magazines. This is true with the new 25rd mags too.

This is five rounds loaded with GI brass, Ramshot XTerminator powder and Sierra 125gr Pro Hunter bullets. Fired off the bench at 100 yards.

papu6a3a.jpg

Here is a 200 yard group using Prvi 175gr bulk bullets and 2520 powder.

e8amuny2.jpg

I ran a few rounds through the gun with my suppressor attached. It cycles hard with the can attached. The cases are thrown out front and the dual ejectors leave two distinct swipe marks that aren't there without the suppressor. An extra heavy buffer and/or adjustable gas block is no doubt needed for hard suppressed use.

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk

I just shot the 24 bull at the 3 gun regionals last weekend. I just recently purchased a 3g1 308 in December and was bummed when this new version came out thinking I was missing out on the new hotness. After shooting the gii I can say that you are not missing much. I feel the recoil was the Exact same with the only difference being the bolt return was slightly smoother due to the lower reciprocating mass. The gun is thinner and more ar in feel but the much hyped recoil reduction is slight to me. I have all new JP internals coming for my 3g1 so I will have a comparison of that next weekend. I will caveat this by saying the demo setup was awful. The sand bag and bench they were using were subpar so I didn't feel like I could really get behind the rifle that well. Even so I don't feel it would of changed my opinion much. Bottom line if you are happy with your gen 1 keep it, if you're in the market for a new 308 wait for a few more models to come out. I think a 3G gii would be killer or a hunter with a threaded barrel.

I just shot the 24 bull at the 3 gun regionals last weekend. I just recently purchased a 3g1 308 in December and was bummed when this new version came out thinking I was missing out on the new hotness. After shooting the gii I can say that you are not missing much. I feel the recoil was the Exact same with the only difference being the bolt return was slightly smoother due to the lower reciprocating mass. The gun is thinner and more ar in feel but the much hyped recoil reduction is slight to me. I have all new JP internals coming for my 3g1 so I will have a comparison of that next weekend. I will caveat this by saying the demo setup was awful. The sand bag and bench they were using were subpar so I didn't feel like I could really get behind the rifle that well. Even so I don't feel it would of changed my opinion much. Bottom line if you are happy with your gen 1 keep it, if you're in the market for a new 308 wait for a few more models to come out. I think a 3G gii would be killer or a hunter with a threaded barrel.

Do you think the 24 bull could benefit from adjustable gas?

My guess is that it might be overgassed since it probably uses rifle length gas and has an even longer barrel like how 18" midlengths are supposed to be overgassed

No question it could benefit from an adjustable gas block. I think with the gas toned down it would run much better not to mention it had the crappy A2 stock with the hard plastic butt pad on it. Like I said I would take the Hunter model thread the barrel for a real compensator, throw on an adjustable gas block put a PRS or Sopmod stock on it and I think it would be killer. Again I think it is a great design I just wouldn't ditch my gen 1 for it at this point.

Adding an adjustable gas block and DR brake did wonders for my G2 Recon. Those changes really tame the rifle.

holding a gen 1 and gen 2 side by side, the gen 1 feels like a brick. The gen 2 feels like holding a regular AR15. Night and day difference in feel....

Mick

Adding an adjustable gas block and DR brake did wonders for my G2 Recon. Those changes really tame the rifle.

holding a gen 1 and gen 2 side by side, the gen 1 feels like a brick. The gen 2 feels like holding a regular AR15. Night and day difference in feel....

Mick

Yep. I agree completely regarding the feel of the GII compared to the other 308 AR's I've owned/shot.

What are you using for a gas block? Are you using the factory DPMS gas tube or something else?

Also, do you have a point of contact at Magpul? I wouldn't mind calling to express my concern over the lack of hold open with the new mags.

I have used the SLR SA7 adjustable gas block with the original DPMS gas tube. Initially I tried the set screw version, but sent it back as the rifle would not lock back on an empty mag - I thought the block was leaking gas.

SLR replaced it with a clamp on version. Only later did I find the problem was the Magpul Gen 3 mags!

The rifle functions fine on a setting of 5 on the gas block. With the DR brake, the recoil is straight back, with zero muzzle rise.

I also had the MI SSK rifle length handguard, but found it too skinny for my hands. Super lightweight at 9 oz and cool HG, though.

Took it off to replace with the Samson Evo, of which I have a couple on other AR's.

The Gen 3 mags can be made to work if you round the edge of the follower that sits under the right mag feed lip. Taking a little bit of material off that corner allows the bolt catch actuation tab to come up higher (needs 0.03-0.05").

I've been talking with Justin Beard and Rob Ritter at Magpul, but responses have been slow.

Mick

Mick

Yep. I agree completely regarding the feel of the GII compared to the other 308 AR's I've owned/shot.

What are you using for a gas block? Are you using the factory DPMS gas tube or something else?

Also, do you have a point of contact at Magpul? I wouldn't mind calling to express my concern over the lack of hold open with the new mags.

Edited by MickB

Someone needs to teach him how to mount a scope. The rings are backwards.

Come on now. Everyone knows the gun runs faster with the rings mounted facing towards the shooter.

Never know, it was probably to far forward for him, and he had reverse the rings to get it to where he'd like, I've seen it happen before. At least he didn't put a EO tech facing the wrong direction..

I spoke with DPMS today and asked if they have a date on a 6.5 Creedmoor in the Hunter model. They said that it would be out in 2 months. I will be waiting for it. I also heard a rumor that DPMS will be moving to North Carolina to be with Remington. Anyone else heard anything to verify ?

I ran a mag through the Recon this morning. I ran it with and without my AAC suppressor.

Ammo used was reloads using H4064 and the Hornady 150gr FMJ. I used Remington primers and mixed military brass.

Here's an example of what the rifle will do off the bench at 100 yards. This group was fired with Magpul "iron" sights.

u5yzusum.jpg

Here's the same load but fired with my Redfield 6-18x44mm scope. High but still a nice group.

9utejymy.jpg

The gun really runs hard with the suppressor attached and I had a bolt over base malfunction with my can on. I believe this was based on bolt carrier velocity. One of these days I'll see if I can't get a longer 308 buffer tube so I can play around with heavier buffers but I think ultimately an adjustable gas block will be the best solution for running suppressed.

I spoke with DPMS today and asked if they have a date on a 6.5 Creedmoor in the Hunter model. They said that it would be out in 2 months. I will be waiting for it. I also heard a rumor that DPMS will be moving to North Carolina to be with Remington. Anyone else heard anything to verify ?

I'll join you in that wait. :-) Thanks for the news.

I know we have done some courting of that entire conglomerate to put a new location in NC. I don't remember which lines of business they plan to put here.I remember Remington, but don't know if others were part of the plan.

What's the best adjustable gas block for this rifle? I'd like to put a Syrac on mine if it will fit. Just need to get the barrel shortened and threaded for a brake now. May go with a Surefire brake as most others I've seen look rather bulky. I put a Luth AR stock on it and have been very happy with it so far. Had a couple double feeds at first even with P-Mags. That seems to have worked itself out as the last range outing was trouble free for over 60 rounds. Nice rifle, hope it takes off in the aftermarket

post-21145-0-30748400-1403532138_thumb.j

The DPMS guys demo'ing at Freedom Munitions this week put the 6.5CM uppers as late this year. (There's a chance I was confused and that later date was just for sales of uppers only, with complete rifles coming sooner.) I may go ahead and buy a .308 Recon and then get the Creedmoor (it will be a 24" bull configuration) as an upper when it comes out.

Given the weights, I was thinking the Hunter model would be a good place to start for a less expensive Heavy Metal rifle. But, I was thinking of having my local smith take about 2 inches off the barrel length while also threading for a comp. How much "fire" am I playing with by doing that? I'm assuming that the gas port size would be the constraint and that this barrel is too new for any of us to know if the gas port is large enough to function with 2 inches less barrel length (less dwell time).

I'm more interested in rifle length gas on the Hunter model than the mid-length for the shorter, but heavier, 16" barrel Recon model. But, I don't want to make a mess of having the Hunter barrel shortened while decreasing cycling reliability.

I don't have any 308 rifle in my collection so I don't need to make it "different" from an LRP-07 like one of our fine forum members. :bow:

I appreciate any of your thoughts or recommendations on this. I'm just not sure which of these DPMS models would be the best bones for a HM build. Thank you.

Michael, I agree with you that the Hunter with a couple mods, like cutting to 18" and threading, would be a near ideal setup.

Did you ever learn any more about any negative gas system effects of cutting the barrel to 18"?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a DPMS GEN II .308 bullbarrel. I had a Rockriver two stage match trigger installed and I put a Vortex 6 x 26 x 50mm scope on it. Using Hornandy match brass, IMR powder (42.0 gr.) and Berger 155.5 grain match target bullets I have a 3 shot group of .228 at 100 yards. Still working on the load. Great gun. I will post more tommorrow. Gun has slight recoil and perfect balance.

• 2 months later...

Spoke with Magpul again a couple of weeks ago, and there is still no resolution to the issue.

Basically any modification to the mags requires another full round of testing with other platforms. Problem here is that the Gen 3 bolt actuation tab on the follower is CLEARLY LOWER than the Gen 2 mags, which is the root cause of the issue.

I have dealt with the problem 2 ways. I found some Gen 2 P-mags which function fine.

I also modified the Gen 3 mags to function 100% with the following follower modification;

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=201651

Mick

MickB,

Have you had any luck with Magpul and the Gen3 mags? Has anyone addressed the issue(s)?