DPMS GII .308

Nick Weidhaas

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't abandon ship yet. That's how 'they' win.

If you realistically think the political climate there will change to reverse these measures, then good for you for staying. From three time zones away, my decidedly distant view is that doesn't seem likely.

Meanwhile......

Anyone see that G2 Hunter model for sale yet?

And what about any word from any DPMS sources on other calibers for the G2 like 6.5 Creedmoor? I'm getting an itch to try longer-range rifle out to 900+ yards in a regional precision match series.

Perhaps it is ignorance, but pushing 308 that far sounds very difficult.

Somebody on arfcom got a Hunter. Still trying to wrap my head around the fact that the G2 Hunter is only 0.23lbs lighter than the LR-308 Hunter. The difference in weight between the buttstocks is about 7oz.

I did not know about that comparison. Thank you.

Michael1778 wrote:

...6.5 Creedmoor?...

How does a .260 Remington compare to the 6.5 Creedmoor?

Just me, personally, I have a local source for .308 military once fired brass and pull down bullets (at 11 cents each). Considering this latest panic, I'd rather not stray too far off the beaten trail.

It looks like you can make .260 Remington brass from .308 brass.

The barrel is by far the heaviest part. The weight of the rifle generally comes down to the barrel profile and then the hand guard and which brake you choose. The big advantages to this rifle are better ergonimic options, lower reciprocating mass and the most important... Better reliability on the course of fire. Truthfully, my LRP-07 is already light enough.

Keep the bolt carrier weight down and it will be a game changer. JP has it figured out with LMOS. Trim the barrel and it will be my next hunting rifle. The AR platform is the best route for follow up shots, bar none. I do want to see the Hunter in a 6.5 CM

• 1 month later...

On the G2 Recon, the handguard by itself weights 14oz, and that doesn't include the barrel nut.

Replace with a MI handguard which weights in at 9oz WITH barrel nut, and you should lose at least a half pound, bringing the Recon down to 8lbs.

Now if you put the barrel on a diet, you should be able to lose another 6-8oz, so 7.5 lbs should be possible...

Mick

DPMS was showing these off at Tarheel 3-Gun Challenge this past weekend. I shot the Recon, which is basically the 3-Gun configuration of the rifle. They only had it with a standard flash hider, not a brake, so there was still a decent amount of muzzle rise, but the rifle was surprisingly light and handy. Put on a good brake, and shave some weight at the handguard, and it would indeed be a very nice HM rifle.

I really want to see it in 6.5CM, too, as I want a semi-auto to go with my 6.5 bolt gun!

On the G2 Recon, the handguard by itself weights 14oz, and that doesn't include the barrel nut.

Replace with a MI handguard which weights in at 9oz WITH barrel nut, and you should lose at least a half pound, bringing the Recon down to 8lbs.

Now if you put the barrel on a diet, you should be able to lose another 6-8oz, so 7.5 lbs should be possible...

Mick

If only the MI barrel nut were compatible which I hear it is not.

I won a G2 at Mesa great gun I only shot 3 shots hard to hit the target when the brass hits you in the face!! Oh forgot to say I shoot left handed looking for a brass deflector not much recoil for a 308.

Tony,

Looking at the G2 Recon on the DPMS website, looks like it has a brass deflector on it?

You should be able to tune the gas so it isn't spitting brass into your face, if it has adjustable gas block...

jj