DPMS GII .308

Nick Weidhaas

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was out at the range today with my DPMS G2 it doesn't have an adjustable gas block or a comp and it still very soft shooting. I measured the barrel at the gas block it is .750. Hope to get a gas block and comp soon!! shot a 2" group with cheap ammo!!

May be a dumb question, but does the G2 runs the same SR25/DPMS style mags? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

Edited by Marv Z

May be a dumb question, but does the G2 runs the same SR25/DPMS style mags? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

Has to be since the ammo didn't change. And they'd be fools to break that compatibility.

I'd be stunned if they had some incompatibility. Just an opinion, not a definitive answer.

I don't feel like calling their customer service myself.

Still saving my pennies anyway.....that and hoping for a 6.5 Creedmoor version. :devil:

Yes, the G2 uses the same SR25/DPMS mags, as well as .308 P-Mags.

There are some bolt lock back issues with Gen 3 P-Mags and I am discussing those issues with Magpul right now.

The Gen 2 P-Mags are good to go.

Basically the Gen 3 mags need the bolt catch tab on the follower to be 0.05" higher.

Mick

There are some bolt lock back issues with Gen 3 P-Mags and I am discussing those issues with Magpul right now.

Basically the Gen 3 mags need the bolt catch tab on the follower to be 0.05" higher.

Mick

Thanks for the info. I'm going to get a hunter and mod it. LGS has lots of the gen 2 mags, hate to be stuck with a 4 rounder and no mags available for a new design rifle

Will the Samson rail fit the G2 Recon nut, or the mil-spec type AP4 nut?

UPDATE - it needs the mil-spec style G2 AP4 barrel nut.

Mick

Samson Manufacturing now has the Evo forend available for the GII, 12.37" and 15".

No need to replace the stock barrel nut with this!

Edited by MickB

I'm just a past customer of theirs. Not affiliated in any other way.

The Samson web page for the 15" G2 Evolution says "Will only fit on rifles equipped with the OEM DPMS G2 barrel nut." I don't know if that is helpful to this conversation or not.

(http://www.samson-mfg.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SM&Product_Code=EVO-DPMS-G2-15&Category_Code=AR-15_Rifle_Length_Rails)

Been thinking really hard about buying a 308 AR and I think that this thread just talked me into it. These look pretty sweet. went to cabelas on my lunch today and they had a couple, they feel pretty nice, very light (the hunter model.) Though looking online in confused as to why the 24" bull barrel model is $300 cheaper then the hunter model?

Just got to fondle one at Cabelas. Very nice, light weight, the 20" barrel feels good pointing. Thread for comp, ditch the fugly MOE stock, slap on a optic and be ready to rock. Just need to find one cheaper than the $1499 they want.

Mick

I recently bought a used Recon. The owner sold it because the bolt wouldn't lock open all the time. Turns out he was running the gun exclusively with Gen3 PMAG's. I have used the rifle with the metal factory DPMS magazine as well as a couple Gen2 mags and get lock back 100% with these.

I have just recently bought a half dozen of the new 25rd Magpul mags. These have the same spring and follower as the 20rd mags and are hit and miss with hold open. When they do lock the bolt open the bolt stop is just barely engaging one lug on the bolt.

I have enough Gen2 mags to keep the gun happy but they're all 20rd capacity of course. What I'm hoping for is a replacement follower from Magpul that will address the lock back issue because the new 25rd mags are great. maybe 1.5" longer than a 20rd but 25% more ammo.

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk

Can someone weigh their JP LRP-07 BCG and buffer?

I'd like to compare the weights to the G2 setup.

Mick

I have 13.8 ounces for the bolt and carrier and 3.8 ounces for the stubby buffer. Are those consistent with your measurements?

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk

Just ordered mine from Bud's. $1250 with free shipping. Can't wait to get it. Have a new Luth AR stock on the way as well as a couple Gen 3 mags, one 20 and one 25. If they don't work, I'll try to round up some Gen 2's.