Nick Weidhaas

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

I got tired of waiting for DPMS to bring out the 6.5, so I picked up a Anderson upper and lower with all JP parts and will build my own. Granted, when I get it finished, it will be heavier and more expensive. If it is like everything else I build, I won't get it sighted in before it will be up for sale and I will end up with a DPMS after all.

I'm assuming dpms will be making the 6.5CM with a barrel as big around as a good breeding stud and twice as long. That way I won't be pissed when that's exactly what they do. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised if they do something more sensible.

• 3 months later...

Decided to purchase the GII LW Hunter vs recon with the intention of cutting/threading barrel. After putting 100+ rounds through it I decided to just thread the 20" length to keep the factory crown because it shot so well. Don't regret the decision at all and if I don't like it I can always shorten it, gun shoots smooth and with reduced weight handles fast. I changed out the hand guard with a direct replacement on the factory barrel nut using a Nordic XL, added adj gas block, ACE stock with a fitted Limbsaver pad, AR Gold trigger and topped it off with the new Burris AR-1x optic. I've only shot it in 4 matches and 1/2 doz practice sessions but the thing just runs!!!

Decided to purchase the GII LW Hunter vs recon with the intention of cutting/threading barrel. After putting 100+ rounds through it I decided to just thread the 20" length to keep the factory crown because it shot so well. Don't regret the decision at all and if I don't like it I can always shorten it, gun shoots smooth and with reduced weight handles fast. I changed out the hand guard with a direct replacement on the factory barrel nut using a Nordic XL, added adj gas block, ACE stock with a fitted Limbsaver pad, AR Gold trigger and topped it off with the new Burris AR-1x optic. I've only shot it in 4 matches and 1/2 doz practice sessions but the thing just runs!!!

I love my GII Hunter as well. I threaded my barrel at the factory length as well. I installed a Syrac adjustable gas block. I have mine topped with a Bushy HDMR (3.5x21) with the TREMOR2 reticle. I'm practicing for local DMR matches. Mine has run flawlessly as well. Accuracy out to 700yds has been great. I would share group sizes, but I'm banging metal, not punching holes in paper. My local range goes out to ~1200. I have stayed below 700 so far. Over the next month I'll start to stretch further out.

My next step is to look into getting a GII stripped upper from DPMS and installing a barrel kit from JP in 6.5 Creedmoor. Need to look into whether all of these parts would work together.

• 3 months later...

Working very well. Barrel cut to 18" and threaded w/ Lancer comp installed. Seekins adjustable gas block. Midwest Industries super slim hand guard. Hiperfire trigger. Had bolt done in nickel boron. Luth Ar adjustable stock.

post-5655-0-72315200-1438442089_thumb.jp

Working very well. Barrel cut to 18" and threaded w/ Lancer comp installed. Seekins adjustable gas block. Midwest Industries super slim hand guard. Hiperfire trigger. Had bolt done in nickel boron. Luth Ar adjustable stock.

Did this start out as the 20" Hunter? I wanted to do something similar, but was concerned it might not cycle well if I cut it back to 18".

Yes, it was the 20" Hunter model. It was way over gassed w/o the adjustable gas block. It is quite pleasant to shoot w/ the adj gas block. Very pleased w/ the way it turned out and shoots! Fun rifle, perfect for HM 3 gun.

Yes, it was the 20" Hunter model. It was way over gassed w/o the adjustable gas block. It is quite pleasant to shoot w/ the adj gas block. Very pleased w/ the way it turned out and shoots! Fun rifle, perfect for HM 3 gun.

It looks lovely. I very much like what you have done with that platform!!

Very nice.

Has anybody ever found the receiver set weight for this product line? Saying it's lighter weight is one thing. Having actual measurement data to prove it and by how much is a different thing.

Based on coltlover's measurements of total rifle weight, it must be reasonably significant. Yet, by how much exactly in the receivers?

Thanks.

Edited by michael1778

The snag at this point is that very few of us are actually taking them completely apart to check the weight of the bare receivers.

Very true. Much as I had expected. But, I would think that some intrepid fact-checking soul would have done it once somewhere and posted the result for the world to see. I haven't found it. I was hoping that one of you had found such data.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if everyone is aware, but one of the new BE vendors, KE Arms has GII handguards available for a very competitive price and a discount code in their vendor tent. They have keymod and Mlok options and a number of other options from which you can pick and choose.