Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DPMS GII .308

Nick Weidhaas

One question I have is, does it use standard LR308 pattern barrels? I'll have to give them a call.

I foresee some co-exprs-iments with this new rifle in the future. Can't wait to hear your usually illuminating results. If it weren't for some recently enforced statutes in my state (registration requirement for new long gun purchases), I'd be more motivated to try this myself. I'll probably just wait to see what the action shooting community can come up with as improvements for this newer platform before I commit.

Am I really that predictable? As a matter of fact, as soon as I got home I started looking for something to sell to get my hands on one. I already have a laundry list of things I want to try. I found the Recon 16" model at CTD for $1400. I'm betting that 16" mid gas rifle, with a long hand guard, JP adjustable gas block, JP captured spring system and my custom brake would be about the flattest running 308 ever. Might be perfect for those close, fast matches.

Looking forward to trying it at RM3G :)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Given the weights, I was thinking the Hunter model would be a good place to start for a less expensive Heavy Metal rifle. But, I was thinking of having my local smith take about 2 inches off the barrel length while also threading for a comp. How much "fire" am I playing with by doing that? I'm assuming that the gas port size would be the constraint and that this barrel is too new for any of us to know if the gas port is large enough to function with 2 inches less barrel length (less dwell time).

I'm more interested in rifle length gas on the Hunter model than the mid-length for the shorter, but heavier, 16" barrel Recon model. But, I don't want to make a mess of having the Hunter barrel shortened while decreasing cycling reliability.

I don't have any 308 rifle in my collection so I don't need to make it "different" from an LRP-07 like one of our fine forum members. :bow:

I appreciate any of your thoughts or recommendations on this. I'm just not sure which of these DPMS models would be the best bones for a HM build. Thank you.

My only complaint with the 308 platform is the weight for a hunting rifle. Love to see a 6.5 CM in the hunter model, if there is a hunter model. Anyone know the weights ?

Tommy Roupe

DPMS has a special G2 (Gii) product web site with the weights. The 20" Hunter model is listed at 7.75lb, if memory serves. The weight, barrel length, rifle-gas system length, and choice of MOE Rifle Stock (which I use on my Open .223 rifle) were what tilted me toward thinking of that model for a Heavy Metal foundation.

Edited by michael1778

Looks like the Hunter model is last to production, I haven't been able to find one anywhere.

Why does it always seem the models that action shooters get interested in are always the last released? I guess we're the red-headed stepchild.

Looks like the Hunter model is last to production, I haven't been able to find one anywhere.

Why does it always seem the models that action shooters get interested in are always the last released? I guess we're the red-headed stepchild.

I find it ironic DPMS touts a new slim and trim .308 variant and then releases all the heavier models first :surprise: gotta love it :wacko:

I have been toying with the idea of adding an AR-10 pattern rifle to my stable. I don't really have any particular niche waiting to be filled by it, but hey, everybody needs a .308, right? I figure if I get one I would shoot at least a little Heavy Metal, which would probably be the main use any .308 I buy would see. Furthermore, my long distance bolt gun is in 6.5 Creedmoor, and I like the idea of having a semi-auto companion to it in the same chambering, so having multiple uppers for said AR-10 would be great..

That said, I was really interested in the Samson and Lancer announcements from SHOT show. Looking at Lancer's setup, especially, since they particularly mentioned 6.5CM uppers, and because I have a great respect for Lancer's AR-15 products in 3-Gun so far, made that setup very tempting.

Then along comes the G2, which, if the new design works as advertised, could make it the best Heavy Metal rifle of the new batch of semi-auto .308s...but with the proprietary barrel extension that would seem to make adding new (different caliber) uppers a little more problematic.

Oh, the choices!!! Has DPMS said anything about supporting other calibers or having other barrel manufacturers be able to make G2 pattern barrels?

I think the pros: compact, light weight and low reciprocating mass, outweight the Cons: proprietary parts, proprietary barrel. In my experience, DPMS makes decent barrels which are more than accurate enough for our game. Their barrels are not overly expensive and they come in a plethera of chamberings. If DPMS sticks with the platform, they will have lots of options within 2yrs.

Sorry, didn't ask about the weight. I was merely interested because of the dual ejector. That said, the dual O-rings under my extractor seem to work just fine and appear to be durable. Too bad there's no way to upgrade an existing LR308 type of rifle with these new features (other than to buy another rifle).

Edited by DEP44