Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many pros carry 2011 style guns for CCW

Alaskapopo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm far from a pro but when I do carry an automatic, I carry a Springfield EMP. Eventually I would like to have a few more single stacks so that I didn't always have to carry the smallest one.

I prefer to carry a 9mm, but my experience has been that the full-length actions like the 2011 and 1911 have, which are designed for a cartridge as long as a .45 ACP, are not 100% reliable with 9mm and .40 length cartridges. Hilton Yam seems to believe the same and has blogged that 9mm 1911s are not reliable enough for duty use.

If I had $4k+ to find out of SV really could make me a 9mm 19/2011 that would run 100%, I probably would roll the dice and find out because I really do prefer to carry a 9mm and wouldn't mind having a CCO or bobtail Commander sized gun in 9mm that I could feel comfortable with.

All of this would be solved if Springfield would just scale up their EMP to 4.25" and 5", as in my view, it would be the most reliable 9mm/.40 1911 available (and the smaller/shallower grip is a bonus).

Hilton Yam while very knowledgeable seemed to have an aversion to all things competition shooting oriented. Also I think he his back to carrying Glocks. Thanks for the responses all. Just wanted to see to settle a debate I was having with someone.

Pat

Hilton Yam actually owns a 9mm 1911 and loves it, so I don't really think that's an accurate assessment of what he has to say.

Hilton Yam's advice on 1911s for carry or duty use generally falls under the "if you carry it, you'll spend a lot of time maintaining it" tree. Which isn't untrue. A 1911 for carry use isn't like a GLOCK or other piece of Tupperware--you're going to spend a lot more time making sure it'll run than if you just went with Tupperware.

• 4 years later...
36 minutes ago, Avenida said:

Reviving this old thread! 

Awesome pistol

Wondering if the user who posts this is still carrying it.

cheers

Nope.  It weighed like 54 ounces empty.  I had CKARMS build me a doublstack commander last year with an aluminum grip that came in at 37 ounces.  Far better for an everyday carry gun.  

34 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

Nope.  It weighed like 54 ounces empty.  I had CKARMS build me a doublstack commander last year with an aluminum grip that came in at 37 ounces.  Far better for an everyday carry gun.  

wow that's an awesome looking gun right there!  you're talking duty, owb carry, is that right, not concealed or iwb?

Y’all must have a lot of money to blow. God forbid you ever have to use your gun in self defense, you will not be seeing it for a long time, possibly ever. It’ll be gone for atleast a few years. I can afford for them to keep one of my many 500 dollar polymer guns, and I can even afford to replace one if need be. But I could not afford to replace a 6k SVI, or even a 3-4K sti based gun. Id start saving and 2 years later when I could afford to get a new one I’d finally be getting that one back from evidence. No thanks, I’ll stick with my  plastic fantasics. 

19 minutes ago, Jfitz427 said:

Y’all must have a lot of money to blow. God forbid you ever have to use your gun in self defense, you will not be seeing it for a long time, possibly ever. It’ll be gone for atleast a few years. I can afford for them to keep one of my many 500 dollar polymer guns, and I can even afford to replace one if need be. But I could not afford to replace a 6k SVI, or even a 3-4K sti based gun. Id start saving and 2 years later when I could afford to get a new one I’d finally be getting that one back from evidence. No thanks, I’ll stick with my  plastic fantasics. 

This right here is the truth.....as soon as you pull that gun for any purpose, they're going to lock that bad boy up, in the evidence locker.

23 minutes ago, psyops said:

This right here is the truth.....as soon as you pull that gun for any purpose, they're going to lock that bad boy up, in the evidence locker.

saving your life is pennies compared to the cost of any gun, especially if any legal defense is required.

1 hour ago, davsco said:

saving your life is pennies compared to the cost of any gun, especially if any legal defense is required.

You’re right. If my only choice was a $5,000 2011, I wouldn’t think twice about it,  But luckily I have nurmerous other cheaper pistols, that will do the job as good, if not better then the 2011. 

I like shooting my 2011s way better then my glocks. So if I was rich then I might  consider having a top notch smith build me one for carry. But even then idk, the Glock  or m&p, sig, XD etc is just a better tool. 

I carried a single stack Govt Heine 45.  Then a 2011 SV in .45.  The gun with two mags was just too heavy for me.  I went back to a single stack and as I got older it got too heavy!  I ended up carrying a Colt Lt Wt Commander .45 at retirement. 

I did carry a Colt Detective Special on my last day at work!  I started my career with a revolver and ended it with one.

16 hours ago, psyops said:

Good thing I won my DVC Carry in a raffle, best $20 I've ever spent! I carry it and or a G43 depending on the situation. 

I believe you need to carry what you shoot the most and the best.  I shoot 2011/1911's in competition, thus I carry a 1911 for conceal carry and a 2011 for open carry.  I know all the controls on the 1911 platform without thinking, thus in a life threatening incident, I feel confident in my ability to defend myself or my family without having to think about where is the safety or the mag button when under stress!!!  Should not matter what it costs.  We practice for competition" your time to first shot", this has practical application!! Whoever gets the first shot off will usually be the last man standing.

I shoot 2011 guns in competition and carry a P365. I’ve shot it a ton and am fairly comfortable with how it operates and shoots. A while back there was a BUG match and I decided to shoot it on the clock. The thing was amazing and fast and even at distance I got my hits. All that being said I would love to carry a 2011 but won’t based on the aforementioned comments and also because with my work garb I simply couldn’t conceal one well. 

8 hours ago, Posvar said:

I shoot 2011 guns in competition and carry a P365. I’ve shot it a ton and am fairly comfortable with how it operates and shoots. A while back there was a BUG match and I decided to shoot it on the clock. The thing was amazing and fast and even at distance I got my hits. All that being said I would love to carry a 2011 but won’t based on the aforementioned comments and also because with my work garb I simply couldn’t conceal one well. 

I carry a p365 also. I really don’t think there is a better gun out there for Ccw. High capacity, and small package. Up until 2017 you had to pick one. Either concealbility, or capacity, you couldn’t get both. With the 365 you do get both. I was the kind of person that liked to buy new carry  guns 6-8-12 months. When I saw something new that I liked. Ever since the 365 I feel no need. It’s just as good as it gets. Maybe some day I’ll buy a second just to have a backup. But this may be the last carry  I gun I ever buy. 

I couldn’t agree more. Every time I go to the Range I make sure to take the p365 along and shoot it. For me I see no need to carry what you compete with. It’s no different than shooting PCC and then some CO and then SS. Train and get muscle memory and roll with it. 

On 1/21/2019 at 8:12 AM, RangerTrace said:

Yeah they are heavy! any feedback about the SVI? were you happy with it other than the price?

Edited by Avenida

8 hours ago, Avenida said:

Yeah they are heavy! any feedback about the SVI? were you happy with it other than the price?

They build amazing guns.  So do other builders for far less money.  Maybe not as pretty, but just as accurate and reliable.  Thats what shooters need to understand.  I can pay $5500 for a really pretty, accurate and reliable limited gun.  Or I can pay $3700 for a good looking, accurate and reliable limited gun.   Accurate and reliable is what wins matches.....