Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many pros carry 2011 style guns for CCW

Alaskapopo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

check out 1911 forums for some info on that, if you're interested. I'm guessing SVIcop will chime in shortly, but I only tried carrying one for a while. I miss it, but for me, plastic or single stack just carried a bit better.

Oh yeah, I compete with a 2011 or M&P, and I carry a 1911 or M&P. I think the grip angle being the same really helps. The safety is no issue if you train to take it off. I swipe every time, so the 1911 comes off and the M&P, well, who cares, I just wiggle my thumb.

Edited by steviesterno

I've been thinking about building a 2011 in .45 ACP for a carry gun--I shoot SS and carry a 1911 now, because I don't shoot polymer gun triggers as well as I do a 1911 trigger now. A 2011 doesn't feel much different than a 1911 in my hands, so I think I could switch back and forth with little issue (my trigger control was more concerning to me, and I felt more comfortable with a 1911-style gun). I do like the idea of carrying more ammo in a similar-feeling and same operating platform, tho--hence the 2011 .45 build.

If you carry a single stack with full or wide grips , a 2011 isn't actually any wider diameter wise. That being said a single stack carries much easier. I carry a g19 right now but i would absolutely love to start carrying an STI 3.0 tactical lite or the 3.0 tactical SS in the near future.

Just curious as to how many pro shooters here carry a smaller 2011 gun as a carry gun to keep the same familiarity with their competition gun. Thanks in advance. Not a tactical topic just curious.

Pat

The problem with that question is there may not be any truly "pro" shooters on here.....

I'm a long, long ways from a pro shooter, but I do carry a 4.5", widebody, 9mm everyday at work. It's only concealed when it's cold enough for a jacket or like today, when I'm driving around with the Lieutenant Governor. I love the pistol, it shoots great, Brandon polished the heck out of it, so the only sharp parts are the corners of the rear sight. But it's heavy. In fact, when fully loaded, it out weighs my old SS 40 by 14 ounces when it was fully loaded........

Edited by SV-COP

Agreed , a better question would be how many 2011 competition shooters carry the same gun for their CCW ? I've been leaning hard to that direction myself, going away from my g19. But who knows, i may just be getting all snobby about shooting a carry gun and not being as pin point accurate with a glock then i would be with a 1911 variant.

I'm far from a pro but when I do carry an automatic, I carry a Springfield EMP. Eventually I would like to have a few more single stacks so that I didn't always have to carry the smallest one.

I prefer to carry a 9mm, but my experience has been that the full-length actions like the 2011 and 1911 have, which are designed for a cartridge as long as a .45 ACP, are not 100% reliable with 9mm and .40 length cartridges. Hilton Yam seems to believe the same and has blogged that 9mm 1911s are not reliable enough for duty use.

If I had $4k+ to find out of SV really could make me a 9mm 19/2011 that would run 100%, I probably would roll the dice and find out because I really do prefer to carry a 9mm and wouldn't mind having a CCO or bobtail Commander sized gun in 9mm that I could feel comfortable with.

All of this would be solved if Springfield would just scale up their EMP to 4.25" and 5", as in my view, it would be the most reliable 9mm/.40 1911 available (and the smaller/shallower grip is a bonus).

I'm far from a pro but when I do carry an automatic, I carry a Springfield EMP. Eventually I would like to have a few more single stacks so that I didn't always have to carry the smallest one.

I prefer to carry a 9mm, but my experience has been that the full-length actions like the 2011 and 1911 have, which are designed for a cartridge as long as a .45 ACP, are not 100% reliable with 9mm and .40 length cartridges. Hilton Yam seems to believe the same and has blogged that 9mm 1911s are not reliable enough for duty use.

If I had $4k+ to find out of SV really could make me a 9mm 19/2011 that would run 100%, I probably would roll the dice and find out because I really do prefer to carry a 9mm and wouldn't mind having a CCO or bobtail Commander sized gun in 9mm that I could feel comfortable with.

All of this would be solved if Springfield would just scale up their EMP to 4.25" and 5", as in my view, it would be the most reliable 9mm/.40 1911 available (and the smaller/shallower grip is a bonus).

I my experience, you certainly can't just "throw together" a 1911 in 40S&W or 9MM and expect it to run 100%. They need to be tuned and the magazines and springs will need regular maintenance. But they can and do run, when built by the right Company with the experience to make it happen. Infinity is one of them....

Hilton Yam while very knowledgeable seemed to have an aversion to all things competition shooting oriented. Also I think he his back to carrying Glocks. Thanks for the responses all. Just wanted to see to settle a debate I was having with someone.

Pat

As reliability goes in 9mm 1911 variants. The mag is more then half the battle. I had a nearly stock STI Trojan in 1911 and it ran flawlessly with Tripp Cobra Mags. Generally the FTFs you get are from nosedives which are all related to the follower and spring. That 9mm was my go to bedside gun for years. I wouldn't hesitate to get an sti carry 9mm any day of the week. Do the due diligence and test it out with your desired loads . The guns themselves really don't make it run more or less reliably ( within reason of course ) Most of the small metal form mags with the hybrid followers are good to go. Any of the new wilson elite or tripp mags are good to go too.

Reliability isn't an issue for a 2011 9mm unless you start fiddling with mag capacity. I've had zero issues with feed reliability from bone stock 126mm mags. If it weren't a full size, I wouldn't hesitate to carry it. As for my STI guardian, I use metform mags without issue. YMMV.

Edited by v1911

I too am far from a pro. I shoot mainly some kind of SS or 2011 style frame. Toss a Glock in everyone in a while.

I carry either a Kahr PM9, Glock G36, or Walther PPK/s. Depending on weather and "where" I am. All three far from the SS/2011.

I look at the game guns just as that - game guns - golf clubs. Tools for a trade, if you will.

I was considering a similar set up on my Glock 17 for work but my concerns are this. After trying a micro red dot on a .22 pistol to test the concept it was very slow to pick up from the holster. I suppose its a learning curve. But if I were going to do it I would have to have a larger Delta Point sized lens at the very least. Other issue is durability. I have heard conflicting reports on how long slide mounted optics last. Lastly for me the red dots advantage is more on distant targets. I am not sure the advantage outweighs the fact its slower up close from the holster and less durable and bulkier plus holster selection is a nightmare at least for patrol duty holsters.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I have an M&P with RMR slide waiting for me at the post office, so I am giving it a try. Any way to get a pic of the rear? Thought the RMR was more wide than an STI slide.

That's a Cheely created RMR mount. I'm talking with SVI about an officer gun, have to see if they can figure out a rear sight arrangement to go ahead on it.

I was considering a similar set up on my Glock 17 for work but my concerns are this. After trying a micro red dot on a .22 pistol to test the concept it was very slow to pick up from the holster. I suppose its a learning curve. But if I were going to do it I would have to have a larger Delta Point sized lens at the very least. Other issue is durability. I have heard conflicting reports on how long slide mounted optics last. Lastly for me the red dots advantage is more on distant targets. I am not sure the advantage outweighs the fact its slower up close from the holster and less durable and bulkier plus holster selection is a nightmare at least for patrol duty holsters.

Pat

There's a good thread on that at PF.

Edited by Haraise