Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best performance for #recoil spring in glock 34

RussellJohnson

I have done a lot of reloading with 115grain Xtreme plated hp and 115 grain jacketed hp montana gold bullets. Power factor differs on my loads but is between 125 and 140 power factor. I am not worried about weight just what will give me the best performance and accuracy. I have not experimented with recoil springs and was just wondering what advice any of the shooters have experience with and any advice ya'll have. Thanks

Edited by RussellJohnson

Search function still work on the forums??

I'll bet there are 20 threads on glock recoil springs already. And damn near every one of them will tell you a 13 pound spring is the best option. A few run 11's but not many.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you go lighter than 13 lbs you may have to use a reduced power striker spring for the gun to reliably go into battery. And then you may have light strikes. I don't know why some combinations work in some guns and not in others. I was unable to go lighter than 13 lbs with my 34 no matter which striker spring I used.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an 11# spring for G34 I am trying out at the next uspsa match. I use an 11# in my cz so I just decided to try 11 for the G34. It is in but havent tried it out. I was just reading on another forum and they said an 11# spring is only used by "gamers" and is really dangerous if you use a stock striker spring. Anyone ever heard of this? Do I need to get a lighter stricker pin or go up in weight on the recoil spring?

The "dangerous" comment might be relating to the slide not going back into battery fast enough. There is a simple test you can do to see if the springs are working together - the recoil spring (or springs if you are using a combination), the striker spring and the extractor spring. Being sure the firearm is not loaded and no magazine, rack it and pull the trigger in a safe direction. Keep the trigger held back, pull the slide back and slowly let it forward. The slide should easily go to battery ("snap" into battery). If it hesitates going into battery, either the recoil spring can be increased, or the striker spring can be decreased. I calibrate striker springs using a digital food scale (set in ounces) - set the spring on end and compress it using the Glock tool down the center.until the steel rod end of the tool just touches the scale and do it a few times to get a good average. It might not match the manufacturer's number, but you will now have a good reference and can change springs up or down, knowing what you're doing..

• 2 weeks later...