Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case gauge fail! 135 Gr Bayou

Red Ryder

Lately, my load for my G34 has been a 135 Grain Bayou bullets with 4.1 gr of IMR SR7624 loaded to 1.135 +/- 0.002. The load is nice and soft and accurate with a 131 PF. BUT, this load never goes all the way into my EGW case gauge. I have CasePro 'ed all my brass So I know it is in spec. It all feeds well in the G34 and G17. Is it the profile of the bullet that is causing this issue? Does this happen with other case gauges as well?

1st check that you don't have something in the case gauge. Make sure the crimp isn't too little/too much both can leave a bulge. Make sure there isn't a ridge of bullet material holding the round up. Bayou makes both .358 and .355/6 135 grain bullets, Could be a culprit.

All that being said the case gauge will give you the minimum dimensions, as in a match grade chamber. The Glock stock barrel is anything but match grade tight.

Bullet is 0.355. Crimp is 0.377 to 0.378. Nothing in case gauge. No bulges. None of the rounds case gauge. Is anyone else using 135 Gr Bayou bullets that don't case gauge? My MG 124's case gauge fine.

Edited by Red Ryder

I've recently seem this same phenomenon with some 135gr RN Missouri bullets. In my M&P, with the rounds loaded to 1.11-1.14, I had all kinds of feeding issues. The bullet reaches full diameter too close to the nose and gets jammed into the rifling causing feeding problems. Haven't gotten em short enough to correct the problem yet...

Maybe same thing happening for you?

Edited by wgj3

One possibility is a combination of the shape of the nose of the bullet and your oal (as you suspected). I had trouble with one of the egw case gauges that I have checking my 9mm open ammo. The issue was that one of the gauges would take the ammo and one wouldn't (the gun ate the ammo with no problem.) Now I load really long so I started measuring a bit and it turns out one of the gauges had a chamber with a tighter throat than the other.

If you shorten the ammo a bit and it drops in the gauge that's likely your culprit. Or you might also make up some dummy ammo and ink up the bullet with a sharpie and look for rub marks to see if the bullet is rubbing. ( Also use them to make sure the bullets aren't brushing the lands in your barrel.)

Since I was happy with my ammo length I just took a 9mm throating reamer to my gauge so that there was a bit more room for the bullet.

Edited by caspian guy

I loaded a few Bayou 135s last weekend to try out in a couple of guns. I have been using Missouri 124 TC lead set out to 1.155 to feed in my 1911 9mm and just ran the 135 Bayous at the same setting. They looked fine and both my 9mm 1911 and my (Stormlake barrel) converted XDm gobbled them up. I only really shot for function but they look like they are pretty accurate too. I have been getting a little leading in the 1911 with the Missoruis and I hope the Bayous help with that. Also, since I had to set the 124s out to feed I figured I might as well run a 135 at the same length and still be set on top of the powder charge (100% load density).

May not help much, but Bayou 124's (125gr round nose) work fine in my 7-Hole EGW gauge.

Also, my 9mm EGW gauge is bit "tighter" than my Dillon 9mm gauge. I always thought this was because EGW sells their U-die, but the Dillon dies size 99% of my rounds to slide right in (and out) of the EGW gauge. The ones that fit "snug" in the EGW gauge drop right in (and out) of the Dillon gauge. Of course there are always a couple per thousand that just don't work. I suppose if I Case-Pro'ed my brass I would get to 100%, but I get pretty close with just my Dillon dies.

I love my 7-Hole EGW gauge... I can drop test a hundred rounds in bit over a minute. (Much faster than using my barrels)

This may sound silly,funny stupid whatever try putting them in case first not bullet first.You know backards.

You thinking of .40 maybe? If your 9mm goes into your case gauge base first you're doing something wrong.

Yes I was think 40 glock brass just to se if the bulge was gone...My baddddd

Lately, my load for my G34 has been a 135 Grain Bayou bullets with 4.1 gr of IMR SR7624 loaded to 1.135 +/- 0.002. The load is nice and soft and accurate with a 131 PF. BUT, this load never goes all the way into my EGW case gauge. I have CasePro 'ed all my brass So I know it is in spec. It all feeds well in the G34 and G17. Is it the profile of the bullet that is causing this issue? Does this happen with other case gauges as well?

I'm also using 9mm Bayou 135gr bullets with an OAL of 1.135...

I also used an EGW 50 hole case gauge in the beginnig... EGW sizes their case gauges to the minimum SAAMI specifications... That's good because any rounds that pass the check on an EGW case gauge will probably fit in any chamber. Through time, I found out (just like you) that most of the rounds that failed the EGW test would pass my Glock barrel test and shoot without issue.

Later, when I started reloading, I purchased a Dillon case checker with my press. I found that any rounds that passed my Dillon checker would also pass my barrel test and shoot well in my guns. My plan for quite a while was to use the EGW and Dillon gauges together.

Then Ben Stoeger advertised a 100 hole chamber checker that was sized to standard SAAMI specifications. I bought one and found that any ammo that sized correctly in the Ben Stoeger checker would run through my guns... This held true for my Glock 34 and later my CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow. I benefitted from gauging a whole box (100 rounds) of ammo at a time with only one gauge. Another great feature is that the Ben Stoeger gauge checker is sized so you can use an MTM ammo box as a flip tray (think primers) and double-flip your ammo into a 100 round MTM or Dillon ammo box. Very handy.

Almost all of my reloaded 135gr ammo fits flush in the Ben Stoeger case gauge. If a round does not fit, it is usually a split case our something that would cause an issue. The bad news is that they are fairly expensive. $100... It's worth it to me... Here's a link...

http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/category-s/1831.htm

• 3 weeks later...

I am loading 135BB's at 1.135 and find that some will not gauge in a Wilson gauge. I mic'ed the offenders and find that most of the reloads that gauge GOOD are actually 1.133, 1.134 etc, and that those that do not easily gauge GOOD are 1.135, 1.136, etc. Everything that comes out of the Dillon is drop-testing good in the barrel.

There is sometimes 1 or 2 per 1000 that do not gauge GOOD and will not pass the drop test. I attribute this to shot out major pf range pickup brass where I see bulged cases and oversize, flattened rims.

This is all for my wife's M&P which will handle the BB135 out to 1.165ish.

Bottom line - the case gauge is minimum and will not like ammo that your barrel finds perfectly acceptable. You will learn from expereience when the case gauge is REALLY telling you to check this one out.

A tip - try flaring the case a bit more if you are picking up little bits of powdercoating; that will upset the works as sure as lead shaving.

FFM

I load lots of .356 135RN Bear Creeks and have come across same issue in load development.

The 3 things that really helped my consistencies:

1. Center your dies on your toolhead with dummy rounds loaded.

2. Use HOS case lube.

3. Give a generous amount of flare to seat the bullet. (crimp to .377-.378)

Note: I case gauge all my loads with a EGW 7 hole block which is minimum diameter per SAMMI specs, if it fails I try my single round Dillon case gauge which is maximum.

Yes, EGW gauge is very tight.

When I have a problem with cases not gauging (barrel or gauge) I do the following.

Size some cases and see if they drop in. If they do, make some dummy rounds (usually 5 or 6) on those cases with the OAL varying by about 0.010" each one. See if anything sticks and why. Sometimes with some lead projectiles the coating on the nose, which does not get sized will be slightly fatter, just forward of the start of the ogive, enough that it grabs the side of that part of the case gauge that replecates the freebore / leade of the chamber. Remember the case gauge is usually the minimum size it needs to be and may reject a round as being to long when your handgun has more freebore in that part of the chamber.

Slightly off topic, but did you mean SR-7624 or SR-7625? I am about to start loading BBI 135s using SR-7625, the only useful stuff I could find. As the available 9mm data for this powder is skimpy, I am interested in your load. The other loads I have seen for similar bullets are a little lighter powder and longer OALs.

When I have a problem with cases not gauging (barrel or gauge) I do the following.

Size some cases and see if they drop in. If they do, make some dummy rounds (usually 5 or 6) on those cases with the OAL varying by about 0.010" each one. See if anything sticks and why. Sometimes with some lead projectiles the coating on the nose, which does not get sized will be slightly fatter, just forward of the start of the ogive, enough that it grabs the side of that part of the case gauge that replecates the freebore / leade of the chamber. Remember the case gauge is usually the minimum size it needs to be and may reject a round as being to long when your handgun has more freebore in that part of the chamber.

I case Pro my brass so I new it wasn't the brass!

Slightly off topic, but did you mean SR-7624 or SR-7625? I am about to start loading BBI 135s using SR-7625, the only useful stuff I could find. As the available 9mm data for this powder is skimpy, I am interested in your load. The other loads I have seen for similar bullets are a little lighter powder and longer OALs.

135 Grain Bayou bullets with 4.1 gr of IMR SR7625 loaded to 1.135 +/- 0.002. The load is nice and soft and accurate with a 131 PF. Typo fixed. I heard from Chris Hogdon that this powder will be discontinued at the end of 2014, so don't fall in live with it, like I did.

Edited by Red Ryder