Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Ammo for 3-Gun

mjk0311

I shoot an R&R Saiga with a mid barrel comp. The Remington Premier Nitro Sporting Clays have a reliability for me of 90% I know others shooting the same gun as mine shoot this ammo with 100% reliability. I have found the shell recommended by the guns builder to run 100%, imagine that. My chosen ammo is Winchester Super Sport Sporting Clays, 1 oz of 7.5's at 1350 fps' While what works for me with a comped open gun, it probably won't work for you. My point is to try several different ammo configurations till you find one that works 100% When you do, go out and buy a truckload of them!

What ever your gun will eat for practice.

I usually shoot Remington STS or Nitro Gold for matches. 1 1/8oz 7's @1235 work good for me.

I also keep a couple of boxes of some high base 6's for heavy/ long range steel.

Clean up from one of the stages at the SE3GC a couple of weeks ago indicated I lot of shooters were shooting the Remington STS and Nitro Gold. I was surprised thinking I would have seen an equal amount of AA's. Personally , I am kind of partial to the AA SuperSports. On the more economical end we picked up a lot of Estates and RIO's.

Depending on division, I shoot either a Benelli M1 auto or a Benelli Nova pump. I use Walmart Federal value packs for practice and club matches, they pattern good and have good reliability in the M1 ( I believe I have had two failures in the last 1000 rounds) and have always worked in the pump. For matches that I travel to, I use Winchester AA Super Handicap 7.5 (1 1/8 @ 1250) for 95% of steel targets. For clay targets, I will use Winchester AA Light Target #9s. I use Federal Tactical low recoil slugs and Winchester 00 buck also as stages dictate. I always carry a smaller assortment of high brass #4, #6 and #7.5 for the occasional target that might benefit from them.

Try several different loads and or brands with different chokes, find what works and know where it patterns. Then, like was already mentioned, go buy a bunch of it.

Hurley

Federal bulk packs from wal-mart. 7.5 or 8 shot. Sometimes the federal "target" load, which is the same thing but in individual 25rd boxes, is actually cheaper. Used it in SLP, M2, and 1301 with very few issues.

Built Winchester are not bad. Bulk Remington's are many times deformed and crappy.

If you can find an economy load that works, why pay twice as much for a box if SG shells at a major? I just shoot the same load everywhere I go as long as I am confident in it.

I have an SLP Mark 1, and I shoot 2-3/4 dram, 1-1/8 ounce loads. Typically shoot the Federals from WM, but have also had good luck with Estate. My gun hates the 1600 fps, 1 ounce slugs. I need to find some 1400 fps, 1 oz to try. Managed recoil buckshot is not potent enough to cycle reliably. Hope this helps.

The reason that I use Winchester Super Handicap AAs for big matches is that they pattern better and have a more consistent pattern in my guns than the bulk pack stuff. It just depends on what your particular gun/choke likes. My M1 patterns terrible with Winchester AA Sporting Clay loads (7 1/2s at 1300), does really well with Super Handicap AAs (7 1/2s at 1250). It is funny how 50fps makes such a difference.

Hurley

You're going to need 1 1/8 oz at 1250 fps or better to work the gun. Look for brass caps. You can experiment to see if your gun will run light loads with heavy gas ring; you will get less recoil. Low recoil slugs and mild buckshot are mandatory. Stay away from Winchester cheap ammo with aluminum cap, it's crap.

We shoot Win. AA 1145 fps in our MKA 1919's. Take several pack of 1300 fps for extreme instances. Seems the AA's have some of the best hulls.

Never had the Win Universal bulk work* in any semi, barely work in a pump.

* By WORK, I mean reliably

Edited by toothandnail