Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reload to shoot or shoot to reload, or reload and don't shoot, or

It's another Friday night where I get lazy and throw out questions that may have been discussed long before I ever found this great forum BE has for us. I was going to do a poll on this question, but polls are boring, besides, I like to hear everyone's take and commentary, so here's the question, and I want the truth...

How many of you enjoy reloading more than shooting? It doesn't have to be a yes or no answer. For example, I like reloading 65% of the time and shooting 35%. Or, an extreme response would be: reloading is a complete waste of time. I stop at the store, buy the ammo and shoot it, and then I let the brass vultures get on their knees and take 'em. I shoot, I want nothing to do with reloading. So where do you stand on this question?

If this has been asked before, I'll delete the thread.

Dog

I reload to shoot and I shoot to reload. I usually only load ammo when I plan on going shooting. I keep a reserve, but not a large one. I load and my guns unload, then I reload etc. We make a good team. :goof:

Although reloading CAN be somewhat relaxing, I reload to shoot.

If I could buy finished ammo for what I spend on components, I could give up reloading as an activity easily.

Ok, now there's a good response. Sounds reloading for you is more of a utility than a hobby. You could take it or leave it. The question is, if you could give up reloading easily, would the alternative use value of your time offset the savings of the reloads? From my point of view it would. The people who claim reloading is less than buying factory ammo may be right, but these days, it's close when you figure the cost of the equipment, dies, etc. But the real issue is time. Bottom line is, what's your time worth? The only thing I know is the older I get, the more it's worth :)

Definitely reload to shoot. I'm not really fond of reloading, especially trimming rifle brass, but just can't afford to buy 1500 rounds every month. Working up loads for all six calibers I roll was interesting and educational in the beginning but the novelty wore off after a year or two.

Edited by Dirty Rod

Definitely reload to shoot. I'm not really fond of reloading, especially trimming rifle brass, but just can't afford to buy 1500 rounds every month. Working up loads for all six calibers I roll was interesting and educational in the beginning but the novelty wore off after a year or two.

There could be a separate thread on the ".223 reloading phenomenon". You're right. Rifle brass prep in general is labor intensive no doubt. But think of all those folks that went out and bought AR's and couldn't get ammo and then decide to try their hand at reloading. I'm all for new people learning to reload, but .223 is challenging to start out with. But like I say, that's a whole other thread for another day.

Dog

Mastiff, the cost of reloading is MUCH less than buying ammo, IFF you already own the reloading equipment,

which most of us do.

You're right, iff you shoot very little and don't own the equip, you have a serious decision to make.

But, NOT if you have the equip. :cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

Shooting is my hobby. Reloading is what I am forced to do to enjoy my hobby. If I hit the lottery and could by Atlanta Arms ammo at my PF by the pallet load, I'm sure the covers would be on the Dillons for a long time.

I wish one of you guys who would rather reload than shoot would move into my neighborhood.

My reloading started with rifles, where I did it for precision. With pistols, although I really began in earnest because of the great ammo shortage and subsequent rise in ammo prices, now I'm reloading 9mm for USPSA competition because I can make up Just The Right load. I have not been able to find just the right load anywhere in stores, although I understand Atlanta Arms comes close at times.

I'm building an inventory of components, but I only keep about few hundred rounds of a given load on hand, leaving myself the latitude to change the load as (hopefully) powder supplies come back and I can try something other than W231.

Chris

Edited by cohland

I like to reload but I love shooting. Honestly, if I won the lottery I would by pallets of components NOT loaded ammo. And I would start shooting lot's of other ammo types. Reloading keeps me in tune with my game and let's face it, if you mostly shoot competition you only shoot a few hours a week typically. I will never reload rifle ammo as it seems a little too bothersome to me since I don't shoot it in any type of competition. I only shoot my AR a few times a year just to make sure it will work when the world finally goes to hell in a hand basket so I just buy a case every year.

I also disagree that reloading costs close to the same as buying ammo. Running the numbers again, I am still reloading a thousand 9MAJOR rounds for about $150 or less. So that's $7.50 a box. How much is the cheap blazer stuff now?

Running the numbers again, I am still reloading a thousand 9MAJOR rounds for about $150 or less. So that's $7.50 a box. How much is the cheap blazer stuff now?

My LGSs have a decent supply of components (not everything you might want but they have some choices) and do a decent job of trying to keep some type of 9mm ammo in stock. When they have Blazer, it has been $17.99 per box for the aluminum case, $19.99 per box for brass for the past 10 months. I was there yesterday and they had Blazer brass for $17.99 but you were limited to 100 rounds.

Running the numbers again, I am still reloading a thousand 9MAJOR rounds for about $150 or less. So that's $7.50 a box. How much is the cheap blazer stuff now?

My LGSs have a decent supply of components (not everything you might want but they have some choices) and do a decent job of trying to keep some type of 9mm ammo in stock. When they have Blazer, it has been $17.99 per box for the aluminum case, $19.99 per box for brass for the past 10 months. I was there yesterday and they had Blazer brass for $17.99 but you were limited to 100 rounds.

I placed a massive order of components with Midsouth months ago and I figured what the heck, if it comes it comes, and the prices were fair, like a brick of ssp at 26.50. Then, I forgot I placed the order. Guess what, I get a call Thursday. "Sir, you're order is here". What order? You back ordered this months ago, do you still want it? I said sure, and now I am poorer. Components are available, even Cabelas which is 2 miles away has a lot more. I try to drive by without stopping.

I am not fond about reloading but do enjoy it just knowing I can shoot more for the same cost. I just dove into it again after a 25 year hiatus. This time I went balls to the wall and spent stupid money on xl650 with three pistol complete conversions to start. Rifles conversion will soon follow.

The choice was easy for me because I can not spend $459/K on ammo and I will not be part of NYS new data base of all ammo purchases.

I'm probably not the norm, but it depends on the caliber. I reload 9mm, .40 S&W, .45ACP and .223 to shoot, which I love to do. I do tinker with loads here and there, but in large part, once I have my load, it is a production thing. Like right now, I have 9mm set up on the 650. I crank out 2-5 hundred a few times a week until my ammo cans are full for the next year. Then I switch calibers and load up that ammo can, etc.

The 10mm, .40 Super, and cartridges for the revolvers, bolt guns and the other caliber ARs, I enjoy working up the load, doing the Chrono work and getting the most out of the particular load/firearm combination. I like to find a load that betters the "everyone recommends" load. The Wildcats are just fun, and while I do shoot them, I enjoy loading for them just as much. I do also enjoy working on new cartridges and load development with no "published" data, but that is not for everyone.

My favorite gun related thing to do is to get a new rifle and new to me cartridge. Tinker with the rifle and reloads to get it shooting as well as I can. After that I kind of get bored with it.

I recently started loading 9mm and it is pretty much a bearable chore for me. I can work for 30-60 minutes a day on my single stage press and meet my needs for ammo. If I could buy ball ammo for the same price I would do it.

I also cast bullets and I'm convinced that a lot of these guys don't even care about shooting. They just like to collect moulds and cast bullets. Nothing at all wrong with that but you hear them talk about having five gallon buckets full of bullets cast that they don't even own a gun for.

Like others, I reload to enable my shooting, primarily. But also like others, if I suddenly became a millionaire, I'd simply upgrade my press and buy reloading components in either larger bulk quantities and continue to reload. I enjoy it, and being rich doesn't mean spending what you don't have to.

I would like to be able to reload enough to have a stockpile of loaded ammo, but I cannot seem to get ahead between the combination of shooting often and having little time for reloading since I have a young family.

I will also confess that I enjoy reloading because my press is out in the garage next to my beer fridge. Scold me if you must.

For those of out there who think you don't save money with a press need to learn some math. When I first started shooting a 45 I said I wouldn't ever reload, then 5000 rounds later I did the math and just about filled my shorts... Then I ate some crow and bought my press.

So I did some more math and it will work for you too. Factory FMJ is somewhere between 35 and 50 cents a round, all depends on the deal you get. Currently I am loading rounds for about 20 cents each... The paper targets don't care that I am punching holes with plated rounds and I am saving between 15 and 30 cents everytime I pull the trigger.

Since I have started reloading I have saved enough to cover the cost of my 650 and all the junk that goes along with it and pay for most of the components that are under it right now. And it really doesn't take up that much of my time, the way I set it up I can pull 150 rounds in about a 1/2 hour and I don't have the electric case feeder either, it's all a manual set up

And what I find interesting is that I enjoy it far more than I thought I would. It's sort of like your own personal slot machine, but instead of quarters you get a bullet everytime you pull the handle. Just another bit of fun with my hobby. Even if I won the lottery I would still reload, just reload more!

While I have now broken even and am starting to save money, the other option is I can now shoot twice as much for the same money I was spending on factory ammo....

While I have now broken even and am starting to save money, the other option is I can now shoot twice as much for the same money I was spending on factory ammo....

Yes. For me I see it as not really saving money but shooting more for the same money. The money I would of spent on more loaded ammo is not saved, it is spent on more components allowing me to shoot more for the same cost. I guess it's the 1/2 a dozen or 6 of the other deal.

Like most guys, I basically reload to shoot. Like Sarge, if I had unlimited funds, I'd maybe just buy it instead of making it. At least, that's how I felt when I started reloading, about a year ago. But once I got into it, I found that it was kinda fun, in and of itself. Now, I enjoy my reloading time: a pleasant, quiet time, alone in my gun room, favorite tunes on the music box, no outside hassles...it's pretty cool. Maybe I wouldn't give it up if I had a million bucks....