Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 Brownells Rockcastle Pro Am 3 Gun Championship

Do they make Flight Control for 20ga?

What do you all recommend for the 20ga to take down the 40yd poppers?

I don't have a popper to test with but did shoot against a steel gong and with Remington 000 buck you might get 2 pellets on it .

Mike

You're likely going to want to go down a size and increase pellet count with the highest velocity 20ga load you can find. Maybe they would let you run 3" 20ga high-velocity rounds with acceptable pellet count/size...?

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that would happen if we were the R.Ms, but we are not the R.M.s Won't even be in the U.S. when this one goes. Gonna be doin a little rifle deal in Finland.....can't wait!!!! :)

It's a little cheaper if you explore the discounts. Mine was 95 after.

What discounts? I looked for broke 3-gunner in the drop down menu but it still wasn't there.

The computer probably said "But your Jesse Tischauser.... You have your own sunglasses line...You don't need any stinking discounts" ... :)

Hair care products. It's a line of fabulous hair care products.

Yeah, that would happen if we were the R.Ms, but we are not the R.M.s Won't even be in the U.S. when this one goes. Gonna be doin a little rifle deal in Finland.....can't wait!!!! :)

Sounds interesting Kurt...good luck!

Am I wrong in my thinking that buffered 3 inch turkey loads will put more total payload on the poppers than 00 buck where more than a couple pellets miss? 00 buck

I have both 12 and 15 pellet 00 buck (fiocchi and winchester), but I was still planning to use buffered 3 inch turkey loads with #6 shot.

I'll get some video this week doing just that.

Awesome! Thanks.

I'm leaning towards the #6 turkey loads.

From the rulebook:

4.4.4 Buckshot for 12 gauge must be 00 buck with 9 pellet maximum and 20 gauge must be No. 3 buck with 20 pellet maximum.

Darn it... and I thought I had this figured out earlier today when I picked up a couple of boxes of Federal 12 gauge 3" 00 buck shot with 12 pellets.

I guess I'll just have to trust those poppers are set to go down easy.

I also got some Federal 12 gauge 1 oz low recoil rifled slugs. Never tried them before, but the regular slugs kick like a mule on my Remington 870.

Edited by kc9

From the rulebook:

4.4.4 Buckshot for 12 gauge must be 00 buck with 9 pellet maximum and 20 gauge must be No. 3 buck with 20 pellet maximum.

Darn it... and I thought I had this figured out earlier today when I picked up a couple of boxes of Federal 12 gauge 3" 00 buck shot with 12 pellets.

I guess I'll just have to trust those poppers are set to go down easy.

I also got some Federal 12 gauge 1 oz low recoil rifled slugs. Never tried them before, but the regular slugs kick like a mule on my Remington 870.

If your shooting a pump you need to be running Fiocchi aero slugs or B&P. both are 1145 fps 1oz and are soft as a kitten.

Jesse, thanks for the tip. I'll grab some of those slugs from the vendor area if they have them. I've never shot slugs at a match. I bought some a while back just in case there was a need and the perceived kick on my gun is about 3x more than the Federal 7 1/2 1oz target loads I use for competition. Also, the 2 3/4" buck shot feels like 2x as the target loads. I hate shooting my shotgun and I'll try to avoid using it at the match as much as possible. I suck at loading it too. I'm ready to buy a semi-auto but not before this match.

kc9,

Also make sure that your chosen slug rounds work in whatever caddies you use for carrying shells. The Fiocchi slugs do not fit in my AP custom caddies; they are a touch too long to be able to remove them smoothly.

KC9...like Jesse said...the B&P kick like a baby...almost like cheating. I got turned on to them a few years ago and haven't looked back. I'll have extra if you get in a bind and can't find some. I'm shooting Wed and Thurs...look me up. I'll be wearing a Hear-Pro Team shirt.

From the stage description posted:

"The ~40 yard poppers may be engaged with 00 buck or other shot. The clays and plates must be engaged with <= 6 shot."

What is 'other shot'? Could than mean #4 shot be allowed on these poppers?

I like where your mind is going here, but I'm guessing they will clarify as "other LEGAL shot", so I bet they will tell you that it's 9-pellet 00 Buck OR #6 or smaller shot.

So are 3" magnum #5 shot Turkey loads legal on the poppers?

What if they are #6 shot 3" mag. Turkey loads ?

This would be in a 20ga.

I did not see anything about not using 3" mag. In the rules.

Mike

From the stage description posted:

"The ~40 yard poppers may be engaged with 00 buck or other shot. The clays and plates must be engaged with <= 6 shot."

What is 'other shot'? Could than mean #4 shot be allowed on these poppers?

The reason we are only allowed to shoot small shot in most cases is that the large shot, buckshot and slugs damage targets at close range. Since they are letting us shoot hard hitting 00 buck then 4, 5, 6 shot isn't going to do anything to damage to popper more so than the buck will. With that said the stage design may require buck only to specifically test that skill set and knowledge.

On a similar note, I went out and shot large and small poppers with 5-6 different buck and #6 turkey load combos. Everything took down the poppers. Low recoil flight control buck hits a lot softer than a Prairie Storm or a 2 3/4" or 3" turkey load and it knocks the poppers over with more authority. Regular old low recoil Winchester Ranger 00 buck works fine too. I'll post a video tomorrow. If you can order some low recoil buck do it. Your shoulder will love you for it.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

I emailed Gary about the "... <=6 shot" statement and he said he was going to re-write the stage description to make it more clear.

The intent is to engage the poppers with any shot size (8,6,4,2,00), but no slugs. The remaining plates can only be taken with 6 or smaller shot...ie. 7 or 8 shot.

I emailed Gary about the "... <=6 shot" statement and he said he was going to re-write the stage description to make it more clear.

The intent is to engage the poppers with any shot size (8,6,4,2,00), but no slugs. The remaining plates can only be taken with 6 or smaller shot...ie. 7 or 8 shot.

That's cool... thanks.

But did he say what they are going to use to calibrate them?

That's cool... thanks.

But did he say what they are going to use to calibrate them?

No, but I'm hoping a BB gun :)

Yesterday, I shot poppers at 40 yards with 7 shot and they fell, but teetered a long time before falling, the 00 buck took them down with authority. #2 may work good too.

Any RO who can spare me two box's of flight control buck ?? ( 10 rounds )

im happy to swap for cash or very good English beer, need them for the RO's shoot on the wednesday :cheers:

You gonna be around next weekend? I could leave some behind for you with someone if needed. I don't want any warm engrish beer tho.....a whiskey and coke would work. ;-)