Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 Brownells Rockcastle Pro Am 3 Gun Championship

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got an email from Linda that said the updated rules are posted. Does anyone know what has been changed? I've shot open the last 2 years, but am going to go tac optics this year.

I don't see any rifle magazine capacity limits like previous years.

I got an email from Linda that said the updated rules are posted. Does anyone know what has been changed? I've shot open the last 2 years, but am going to go tac optics this year.

I don't see any rifle magazine capacity limits like previous years.

I don't remember mag capacity limits in TO. Only liberal matches limit mag capacity.

40 yards is a stretch even for FC buck. I'm gonna guess here, because I haven't patterned it near as much as Kurt and Trapr, but I bet of 9 pellets with an IC choke, it will probably only average about 4-5 pellets on a popper at 40.

Non FC buck? Probably lucky to get 2-3.

40 yards is a stretch even for FC buck. I'm gonna guess here, because I haven't patterned it near as much as Kurt and Trapr, but I bet of 9 pellets with an IC choke, it will probably only average about 4-5 pellets on a popper at 40.

Non FC buck? Probably lucky to get 2-3.

I'd agree I just shot some poppers at 50 yards a few weeks ago. Good thing it only takes one buck to get the luck.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Okay, for folks that have done it... does it take 00 to knock down a popper at 40 yards? I would think so.. especially since there are flying clays on the same stage so you can't use a turkey choke....

I'm betting that is exactly the conundrum this stage seeks to present

It will also depend on how heavy the poppers are set. We shot big poppers at 35yds in the HeMan last year with buckshot. You need to know where your gun patterns or you won't put enough pellets on the popper to take it down. I ran a full choke and shot 9 pellet 00s. We did not have any birdshot targets on that stage though. Set up some 40 yd poppers and check your gun with some #4, #1, 0 and 00 and see what will put enough shot on it to take it down.

Hurley

Am I wrong in my thinking that buffered 3 inch turkey loads will put more total payload on the poppers than 00 buck where more than a couple pellets miss? 00 buck

I have both 12 and 15 pellet 00 buck (fiocchi and winchester), but I was still planning to use buffered 3 inch turkey loads with #6 shot.

Edited by Vespid_Wasp

Read the rules carefully, 9 pellet 00 buck maxi. 00 Buck only in 12 gauge. #6 shot max, if using shot. At Owensboro< Gary has set this up before. FC 8 or 9 pellet 00 will take the poppers down at 40 yds with one shot each.

Am I wrong in my thinking that buffered 3 inch turkey loads will put more total payload on the poppers than 00 buck where more than a couple pellets miss? 00 buck

I have both 12 and 15 pellet 00 buck (fiocchi and winchester), but I was still planning to use buffered 3 inch turkey loads with #6 shot.

I'll get some video this week doing just that.

Do they make Flight Control for 20ga?

What do you all recommend for the 20ga to take down the 40yd poppers?

I don't have a popper to test with but did shoot against a steel gong and with Remington 000 buck you might get 2 pellets on it .

Mike

If Kurt and Trapr are still RM/MD surely they will have the poppers painted for each shooter in their fight for global warming. If there are pellets in the scoring zone it should fall. You're essentially shooting nine 9mm bullets at them all at once.

It's not that hard guys but you do have to aim much like a slug.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser