Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 Brownells Rockcastle Pro Am 3 Gun Championship

The vegitation is way wrong for northern New Mexico Jesse, any one can tell at a glance....as is that kneeling position.

DDustin the point of your elbow is still like a ball and still wont be stable in back of the knee cap, especially if you aren't absolutely in line from forearm to knee to ground. You want skeletal support, not muscular support, but back to our pre programed show.

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I emailed Gary about the "... <=6 shot" statement and he said he was going to re-write the stage description to make it more clear.

The intent is to engage the poppers with any shot size (8,6,4,2,00), but no slugs. The remaining plates can only be taken with 6 or smaller shot...ie. 7 or 8 shot.

That's cool... thanks.

But did he say what they are going to use to calibrate them?

I checked the 40 yd poppers with 1150 fps 9 pellet 00 buck and mod choke.

Are the shooters in the Regional this weekend getting to shoot any of the ProAm stages?

Ha ...I hope not!! 3GN is using the 4 pistol bays. We will remove the 3GN stages on Monday and completely reset for ProAm. 3GN has two other stages in the same locations as the ProAm. They are Redrock Castle Pro and Redrock Castle Am but they will also be reset on Monday. Monday is going to be a long day. We'll have both match crews working together.

Has anyone tried the Winchester Universal shot? I'm reading mixed reviews but it's all I'm finding.

It works OK for some people, but it is not the most consistent stuff around by a long shot. The only way to know it to try running a bunch through your gun.

Avoid it if you can, more times than not this ammo causes cycling issues. I would certainly test it in your gun beforehand,

Gamaliel Shooting Supply (a Pro Am sponsor) will be at the match. You may be able to pre-order and take deliver of ammo at the match.

I checked their site first and most of what I wanted was gone. I ended up driving to a couple different Walmarts to get some AAs. A little more money but I know they'll work.

And they have a $2 rebate.

I'm actually thinking about patterning a few of my "social" shotgun loads (Federal 8 pellet 000 buck) in my match gun and see how it flies with IC and LM chokes. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend.

Don't the match rules say 9 pellet 00 buck max? My work filter won't let me go check for myself.

I'm actually thinking about patterning a few of my "social" shotgun loads (Federal 8 pellet 000 buck) in my match gun and see how it flies with IC and LM chokes. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend.

Don't the match rules say 9 pellet 00 buck max? My work filter won't let me go check for myself.

Surely they won't be painting between shooters so nobody will have a clue how many pellets you use. The 9 pellet rule is heard towards using buck on paper. 12 pellet is too easy and it destroys the target faster and is harder to tape.

A clarification would be nice though so I don't have to clean 20 email notifications out of my inbox each day.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Surely they won't be painting between shooters so nobody will have a clue how many pellets you use. The 9 pellet rule is heard towards using buck on paper. 12 pellet is too easy and it destroys the target faster and is harder to tape.

A clarification would be nice though so I don't have to clean 20 email notifications out of my inbox each day.

The rules do specify a max of 9 pellets for 00 buck where 00 buck is allowed by the stage description. The ProAm rule set on 00 buck was written for paper tgts, Can't speak for any other rule set. We'll use the rule set as written. The intent on Stage 5 is to allow any lead shot load from #8s to 9 pellet 00buck on the 40 yd poppers only. The shooter makes his/her own choice. There had been some good info on this thread reguarding various loads.

The rules do specify a max of 9 pellets for 00 buck where 00 buck is allowed by the stage description. The ProAm rule set on 00 buck was written for paper tgts, Can't speak for any other rule set. We'll use the rule set as written. The intent on Stage 5 is to allow any lead shot load from #8s to 9 pellet 00buck on the 40 yd poppers only. The shooter makes his/her own choice. There had been some good info on this thread reguarding various loads.

So 12 pellet is good to go since it's smaller than 00, correct?

I would say correct Jesse...I think what Gary was trying to say is that 9 pellet 00 is the maximum SIZE you can use...anything under that size is good to go. 8 or less pellets would be bigger and possibly damage the poppers.

Seems everyone is making this a bigger deal than it should be. I personally think it would be simpler if the match would just say that "9-pellet, 00 buck and #6 or smaller birdshot" are the options for the entire match including this stage.

That said, pellet count does not reliably indicate pellet size. I can get 12 or 15-pellet 00 shells.

Seems that the point so far is that 00 is the largest pellet size you may use. And if using max-sized pellets, you may only use shells with 9 pellets or fewer. That also seems to allow that any shells with pellets smaller than 00 would be allowed and if pellets are smaller than 00, then pellet count can be whatever.