Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide racker

rtr

When I had my open gun built I did not have a slide racker put on. The reason was that it is my first 1911 and I thought I'd have to get used to riding the safety and I was fearful the slide racker would hit my thumb. I'm now more comfortable with the gun and see that this isn't a problem.

The only benefit I see of a slide racker is that it makes it easier/quicker to clear jams. So is it worth adding one or not?

Hey RTR

sometime too, they work well as a kickstand for gun on table type starts...

if your gun jams they can be useful as they allow you a little more leverage to break the gun open if need be..

don't think I have had one on a gun since the mid-90s..when I shot a Springfield P9 where the rails were reversed.

sometime too, they work well as a kickstand for gun on table type starts...

if your gun jams they can be useful as they allow you a little more leverage to break the gun open if need be..

don't think I have had one on a gun since the mid-90s..when I shot a Springfield P9 where the rails were reversed.

So it's the old do as I say, not as I do? :D

What Lynn said.

The only issue I have had with my racker, is when I have several close targets by a start position, and I start shooting with my weakhand out of position. My weakhand has bumped my thumb into the racker, causing a string of profanity to flow from my mouth.

I have a racker on my gun and I find that in addition to all the other advantages already mentioned, it just plain makes it easier to rack the slide to load and unload.

I like 'em and would have one on all guns where they are allowed.

Kevin

Guest Larry Cazes

I agree with eerw. Hven't bought one yet since I concentrate my funds into making my guns run 100%. So far, I have had no problem snatching my gun off the table quickly without one as a kickstand. I have an extended mag release with a very strong spring which so far has kept me from dropping a mag during a tabled start as well. The key here is to snatch the gun off the table versus pushing down on it to get a grip.

When I had my 1st open gun built my gunsmith refused to put a kick stand on it. He said I was paying him good $ to build me a good gun and I would'nt need one.

7 yrs. and 90,000 rds later I still dont need a kickstand

Mark

My gun runs 100%, but I still have a racker on there. Table starts and gun-empty starts aren't rare enough to pull it off. It also makes Unload-and-show-clear easy for lefties.

Btw I timed it the other day and for me the weakhand flip (with racker) was faster than the strong-hand grab.

Table starts and gun-empty starts aren't rare enough to pull it off. It also makes Unload-and-show-clear easy for lefties.

Seems the opposite around our section.In the seven clubs in our section..don't see enough gun empty starts or table starts to need one...I don't know..never seems like I have given anything up to guns with them when the final results are out..

The only benefit I see of a slide racker is that it makes it easier/quicker to clear jams. So is it worth adding one or not?

Another benifit is if you have Swenson safeties or a thumb shield the slide racker makes it possible to rack your slide. ;)

If the gun runs you don't need it, If you have it sooner or later it will find something to hit and cause a jam. If you have a c more thread the hole in the left side 10/32 and put a screw in it for a kick stand( be carefull how far in you go)----Larry

Who sell rackers? My new/used open has the dovetail but no racker. I'd like to have one but can't find any. I like the look of the one Bedell puts on his guns. Speed Shooters doesn't list any, Chuck at Shooters Connection says he may have them by the end of the month or in Jan. I'm not crazy about the one in the SV catalog.

If you're afraid it will hit your thumb, you could put a kick stand on the left side and the racker on the right side (like Eric Grauffel does), assuming you are right handed.

I like that idea, any pics of Grauffel's gun around?

only girly men need slide rackers. :lol:

1. good serrations is all you need.

2. a kick stand is cheating in my mind.

3. pratice your table starts and you will be fast

4. your gun shoulden't jam.

:lol::lol::lol: