only girly men need slide rackers. :lol:

1. good serrations is all you need.

2. a kick stand is cheating in my mind.

3. pratice your table starts and you will be fast

4. your gun shoulden't jam.

open class, open class, open class

now repeat

lynn

Definietly need a racker... My new open gun didn't have one... on condition 2 stages, I found I would be racking the c-more at times :)

My rackers on the right side of the slide, I'm right handed...

borrow a gun with a racker and experiment with it abit. It seems to be a personal thing. I thought I could live without one, but that didn't work out to well...

Regards,

Another vote for the slideracker. My slide was dug out and three sided, it leaves very little room under my c-more mount. Also my gun runs, does make unload and show clear much easier to preform.

With the Swenson ambi I couldn't rack the slide without tearing up my hands. But, I had already flattened the rear of the slide so there was no material left to cut a Bomar-style groove for a slide racker. So, I found a piece of thin steel and then shaped it using a bench grinder. I then had it welded to the top of slide bending to the right side (I'm a lefty). On top of that I welded a hex nut. While the gun won't win the Gucci prize for fashion I can now rack it now without tearing up my hands.

I don't have a racker because whan I made the gun:

1. Rackers were for the weaker among us (strength) :lol:

2. Rackers were for jamming guns

Rackers are a big advantage on a "start with an unloaded gun on the table" stages when you have thumb shield like I do

That welding idea is good one for me since I don't have the material to make a sight cut for a regular racker.

PS I take NO disavantage to starting with a loaded gun. I practice picking it up.

• 5 weeks later...

It is my opinon that, If your pistol is built right you don't need a slide racker. having said that I don't see anything wrong with them. As far as grabing your gun off a table, you will be just as fast with out one if you practice that way and it's the only way that you know how to do it. ;)

Ivan

When you have a short slided open gun and thumb shields on your safety there isnt enough room to rack the slide and if you did it would be slow. The fastest and easiest solution is a slide racker. I wouldnt have an open gun that didnt have one on it, especially the sidewinder. They just make loading and unloading so much easier. They work great as a kick stand for table starts. And no I dont need it to clear jams since I am shooting a Bedell Shorty, but if the need arised the racker would make clearing so much faster. It also makes it easier to look inside the chamber when unloading. On my limited gun i grab the front of the slide to do all these things but with a cmore mount you cant do it on an open gun.

I did buy the mold for the sidewinder slideracker. First production run is due Jan 20th. I was hoping earlier but no such luck. First run will be stainless like before. Sometime in the future I may run some aluminum ones.

Chuck

www.shootersconnection.com

• 3 weeks later...

its kinda funny when you see gunsmiths go through all the trouble to lighten a slide as much as they can, then add an ounce and a half to it..

i actually saw a fool that had one on a limited gun..i was kinda curious as why gunsmiths cut cocking serrations, put thumbshield safetys and then cut for a slide racker.... must be a money thing.

seems like a master limited, limited 10 and open shooter, plus area 4 director said roughly that "slide rackers are for women and old people"

I know that I I had an Open Caspian with a racker. It ran fine. :) The racker made it super easy to run the slide. (I tried it with and without...with was better.)

And, Bill Seevers' gun...I shot it while running the chrono at last year's Ohio/Buckeye Blast match. It was a pain for me to find some where to grab the slide. I had to do it twice, because he was sharing the gun with another shooter who was low on equipment. (We had an unloaded table start at the match...I tried to get up there to see how they did. But, I missed their runs.)

Personally, I find rackers on open gun's a must. But that's because of the way matches are designed back here. There's just too much unloaded and table starts. And rackers just make slide manipulation very easy from those starts.

During the short time I played in open, I started with no racker. I can pinch the slide and rack it fine, until one day the cmore switch got in contact with my finger. No fun shooting a dotless and sightless gun. :(

seems like a master limited, limited 10 and open shooter, plus area 4 director said roughly that "slide rackers are for women and old people"

Oh, well, I guess I've only got one M-card, so my opinion doesn't count, though I am the Area 4 Steel champion.. come to think of it, there was an Area 4 director at that match too.. :D

I had the first jam on my Dawson Minigun last weekend. After 40,000 trouble-free rounds, I didn't believe it at first. Nonetheless it wears a racker just for table starts and chamber-empty starts.

After I built my pistol I went for a year with no racker thinking it was for wussies, etc.

Then I got a Dawson racker and installed it. I'll never go back. Never. Nope, you couldn't make me. No way Jose.

It makes it FAR easier to ULASC without contorting around the C-More. The RO can just look straight in without looking between my fingers as well.

Plus as mcoliver said there are A LOT of "gun on table - unloaded" starts nowadays. There's been at least one in every match I've shot in the past five months. If I can I stand the gun up on the magwell (I flattened the front JUST for this purpose) but stage designers have wised up to that and now it's usually "gun FLAT on the table." The big DP really holds the pistol up there for a quick grab. I've also had a few starts with the pistol 5-10 yards away on a barrel and with it sticking up I can grab it on a full run and be sure of a good grip.

I have my DP racker sticking out the left side and it's never even brushed my fingers even though I had to mill the slot JUST above the firing pin channel since the back of the slide was already scalloped out.

Even though my pistol has only jammed 2-3 times (and ALWAYS my fault for feeding it crap ammo) I still feel more secure with a big honkin' lever on there just in case.

My slide has lightening cuts all over it so I really didn't notice the additional weight changing the cycling characteristics but with the DP you can mill a 0.125 slot in the bottom side of the rounded portion and take out probably 20% of the racker weight. Even cooler would be to drill the rounded part to make a tube and intersect mill a slot from the bottom - then it would be strong AND light.

And, Bill Seevers' gun...I shot it while running the chrono at last year's Ohio/Buckeye Blast match. It was a pain for me to find some where to grab the slide. I had to do it twice, because he was sharing the gun with another shooter who was low on equipment. (We had an unloaded table start at the match...I tried to get up there to see how they did. But, I missed their runs.)

I wear a magnet on my ring finger.

Really I just cock the gun then pull slide normally. If its a empty gun start, I am at a disadvantage, A BIG ONE. I have a thumb sheld too.

So as I stated in a earlier post if I was building a gun I would put a racker on for that reason. I can't put one on current gun since its slide is so hogged out.

I really think they should make them out of lightest Al or Ti. That's weight above where it does the most damage.

We always thought rackers were for girly men or jamming guns before. :D:P

I have a slide racker on my open gun and I can't imagine doing without it. It is difficult to get a good grip on the slide with the C-More on it.

I have read several good reasons to have a slide racker. Empty gun starts, clearing the rare jamb and the ever useful kickstand.

The posts I have read opposed to it do not seem to have a reason. Comments like it is for girly men or wimps are silly. That is the type of coments you get from limited shooters about optics and comps. It is OPEN class after all. Anything you can do to improve your shooting is a good idea. The one issue worth thinking about is the added weight to the slide.

Dave

PS: I have a snow drift in my driveway taller than my Ford Super Duty. I think I will be reading posts all day and mayber load a thousand rounds or so. :(