Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New USPSA Shooter - Which Division?

FireNHole

Hey all! I've been a fan of these forums for quite some time and just recently decided I needed to join as I start down my USPSA path. I shot my first unoffocial USPSA match around halloween. It was a blast and my local club did an incredible job putting it all together. After that I was hooked deep and since then I have become a USPSA member, purchased some gear ( Glock 34 Gen4, FO Sevigny Sights, ZEV tek springs and guide rod, DAA belt with 5 CR mag holders ), some good reading material ( Brian's book as well as a few from Ben Stoeger ) and went out with a friend who's a USPSA master and fine tuned some great 130PF loads. I am a little torn on which direction I should go to start with. I am considering production, limited or L10 at the moment. I would like to start down a road where I can ultimately switch between division and be comfortable. I've read on the forums that some of you say go production because of stage breakdown and being forced to reload more to really get some good fundamentals and then I've seen others say go with limited so you don't have to reload so often and focus on getting comfortable shooting comps. Any advice you can offer me? At the moment my 34 is production legal. Most of my friends who shoot the local matches shoot limited because they like to go out blazing and have a good time. I enjoy that as well but I see myself doing this for a long time to come and would like to start out on the right foot if thats even possible. My first official match will be this Sunday. My Taurus Team friends Alex Larche and Jessie Duff friends suggest I go production ( Alex ) and limited ( Jessie ).

I enjoy shooting production myself. although i did start from Lim then went to open then finally production. Given with the gear you have, why not stay with production division? Its really fun. Cheap(er) in gears, softer recoil, basic breakdown of stages, you get to reload more often. I just love mag changes i dont know about others but its fun doing that.

I say Jessie is right. Shooting limited while learning is a great idea. You will learn the basics of run and gun and once you feel comfy you can move to production which requires more thinking and strategy. But that is just me, I would do what Jessie tells me to do! ;-)

Edited by StraightUp_OG

I've only been shooting now since June, and so this is not from experience, but is more emotional.

My first shoot was with my SW1911PC as Single Stack, and I had trouble with the safety. Too much fumbling. Did the next using my wifes Glock in Limited. The Limited shooters in my area are fast. Being dead last was not encouraging.

Got an M&P and shot Production since then. Being that I'm not on the bottom anymore and moving up is encouraging. Made C class in as my 1st classification.

My thought is that when I can get into the upper part of the list, I'll build a Limited gun and move on.

If your gun fits in production and is a 9mm, then it's really suboptimal for anything else, so I would shoot production. IMHO the differences between divisions are overrated. I pretty much just look at the overall standings anyway at local matches.

Nothing wrong with limited, but I see a fair amount of people getting caught up in an expensive equipment race instead of learning to shoot.

If your glock was a .40 I would say choose whichever division sounds like fun, and gradually spend the money to make it competitive in limited if that was your preference.

Edited by motosapiens

Well I too am a new shooter and have done both Limited10 and Production. I started with my Glock G22, so I shot limitted10 as it is major power factor. I then went with my Beretta 92FS and shot production. I have to admit I need a lot of work with the double action first shot. My last match I shot the Beretta in Production and my new CZ-95B cocked and locked in Limited10. Even considering I was shooting minor power factor I did much much better in LTD10 since I did not have to deal with the double action. I think I came close to qualifying "C" in LTD10 while I was definitely a low "D" in production.

Start with what you have. You have a 9mm production gun - start with that, and see where it leads you.

You might love to reload (I hate it) .. If you love to reload and plan stages - stay in Production.

If you find you hate reloading and planning stages (and love shooting), get a .40 G34. You can even

switch back and forth, and shoot Limited with your 9mm G34 for a while until you feel shooting minor

is holding you back from Your goals.

You have some great shooting friends - take advantage of their tutelage. :cheers:

I think everyone else is saying the same thing. Shoot what you will have the most fun doing, and what you will be competitive at, if that is your thing. I just started shooting USPSA in the late part of summer, and have only shot maybe 12 matches. I was shooting single stack because that is what I could get the equipment to shoot. However I shot my last match with a new limited gun. I wont be competitive for the next year(maybe more), but I have so much fun with it. I look forward to Tuesday nights starting on Wednesday mornings. Do what brings you the most fun, because there certainly isn't any money in except for a very select few. Good Luck!

My vote is Limited minor. When you are new Production is more than just more reloads and different stage planning. Unless you are the huge exception to the norm you will be firing extra shots. In Limited that is not a horrible event, in Production it will rain crap all over your stage plan and you may even run out of mags. I've seen it with new Production shooters frequently. Being immediately competitive shouldn't be your goal at this point, and probably isn't possible in any division when you start. Learning how to shoot this game should be. You will enjoy that experience much more and learn quicker in Limited.

You are getting some sound advice here. Limited, even with minor scoring, will allow you to concentrate on your shooting since the stage break downs and reloads are not as involved. Production, at least for me, required more strategy and planning than limited. I would suggest not switching back and forth from match to match between divisions when first starting out. Pick one and stick with it for a season. I started in production and then shot limited, first in minor and then in major. I found limited to be more fun.

Start in whatever you have equipment for, as you get the hang of it, most people are happy to let you shoot their weapon and you can try some that are in other classes. After you have done it for awhile you'll find one division that appeals to you more than the others. Then, at that point you can get better (always more expensive :roflol: ) equipment.

You guys have so much great advice. I really appreciate all the input and experience you each bring to the table. I have to say I am more drawn to limited between the two. I have been a very competitive person since I was a little kid. Once I set my mind on something its a done deal. I have been wanting a new competitive avenue since my baseball playing days and I've finally found it. The difference now is I can still have a blast even if I lose. My ultimate goal in everything is to always get better. So at each match, just like my baseball games I will evaluate what I did right and wrong and what I can improve upon. I am currently setup for production but I do think running limited at least for a few matches will give me a good break in to the sport. I dry fire religiously and can give testimony to how much it has improved my game with very little live fire. While I am writing this response I do have another question. How much of a disadvantage will I be shooting minor in limited, with no mag extensions and no magwell?

Your main disadvantage for your immediate scores is minor scoring. On the other hand I think it will be a strong advantage to your future as it will help force you to actually aim rather than hose at brown. Most stages you will only have one reload so the magwell is not a huge deal. No extensions may cost you an extra reload on long field courses. (Do ya get how I keep pointing to the future?) LOL

I agree starting in Limited will help you move and shoot without too many reloads. Some may disagree with me, but I think new shooters should be scoring at least 90% of the available stage points, so minor scoring won't be too much a hindrance.

As long as you can get more than 16 rounds in the mag you should be OK with just one reload per stage.

Your main disadvantage for your immediate scores is minor scoring. On the other hand I think it will be a strong advantage to your future as it will help force you to actually aim rather than hose at brown. Most stages you will only have one reload so the magwell is not a huge deal. No extensions may cost you an extra reload on long field courses. (Do ya get how I keep pointing to the future?) LOL

I like the way you think =).

I agree starting in Limited will help you move and shoot without too many reloads. Some may disagree with me, but I think new shooters should be scoring at least 90% of the available stage points, so minor scoring won't be too much a hindrance.

As long as you can get more than 16 rounds in the mag you should be OK with just one reload per stage.

I guess I am covered then with 17, hah.

If you're going to shoot limited minor I recommend picking up some Arredondo or Taran Tactical base pads. Having 23 rounds is awesome. You only really need one for your starting mag. Also one less thing to but when you decide to try 3gun...

I will be ordering a couple Taron Tactical's probably tonight. I have tried a 2 gun match at my local range. Had a blast and will likely do it again in the future.

1. Jump in to the limited and don't look back. I have friends that shot production and finally moved to limited and state they should have gone there to start. Go with Jesse

lol. I shot limited first, and finally moved to production and I should have just started with production. But I don't think reloads and stage breakdown are rocket science, and I enjoy that part of the game. If someone hates reloading or is intimidated by it, that's another story.

Do whatever sounds like more fun, and don't be afraid to change if something else turns out to be even more fun.

1. Jump in to the limited and don't look back. I have friends that shot production and finally moved to limited and state they should have gone there to start. Go with Jesse

lol. I shot limited first, and finally moved to production and I should have just started with production. But I don't think reloads and stage breakdown are rocket science, and I enjoy that part of the game. If someone hates reloading or is intimidated by it, that's another story.

Do whatever sounds like more fun, and don't be afraid to change if something else turns out to be even more fun.

Thanks. The more I think on it the more I will probably do production this Sunday. Reason being I did limited on the last shoot and had a blast but I definitely should give production a go before I jump right past it. Especially being since I am setup gear wise for production. I was really trying to start in one division to get a rank quicker so I could start putting down some longer term goals but I suppose I could do that regardless. Am I right to think that it takes like 8 matches to get a rank?

I did not read them all, but here is what I think.

Shoot Production. Call me a purist or whatever, but your gun fits the division.

You say you are competitive. Good!!!! So, if you are going to want a heads up analysis, then shoot straight up against other production shooters.

Shooting limited minor tells you what? Yes you get a feel for the game, maybe a little bit more comfortable, big deal, it's a wash. After 10 years I still get butterfly's and the occasional shakes.

My advice is shoot what you have, a nice production gun, in the best suited division.

Learn and compare from DAY 1 what it's gonna take to climb the ranks. How you gonna cpare anything shooting minor in a major division? I guess you could convert all your scores, but then how do you figure "out" your extra reloads?

Shake off the fallacy that other divisions are easier, they are not. All divisions require profient gun handling. Shake off any feeling that you should compare yourself to another guy in a different division.

Here is everything in a nutshell. BE EFFICIENT, SHOOT A's.

Good luck.