Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Identifying Problem Rounds?

Last Saturday, on the first stage of a Steel match, I fired my first 4 rounds of reloaded 45 ACP through my Les Baer normally. But when I pulled the trigger on the 5th round, all hell broke loose. The report was about 3 times louder than normal, the recoil was massive, the mag blew out the bottom of the mag well and was destroyed: follower gone, bottom plate gone, spring gone, and the feed lips distorted. The only thing I can think of is that the cheap labor I use for reloading - me - accidentally dropped a double powder charge, so the case had 10 grains of Winchester 231, instead of the intended 5 grains. Whatever, I absolutely do not want that to happen ever again. Scared the bejeezus out of me. The experience made me leery of the other 200 rounds I loaded that same session.

My question: is there a reliable way to determine whether or not any of the remaining 200 rounds might also have a double powder charge? Is it feasible to weigh each one on a digital scale, to see if any are slightly heavier? How would you handle it if you were me? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

You will always get variance in weight from round to round, thicker brass, the projectile weight moves +/- some from listed. But 5 grains should be easy to spot.

This ^

I always look into every case before placing a bullet and a double charge would be easy to spot.

Out of spec bullets jamming in the chamber is another issue and my EGW chamber checker doesn't pick them up (loaded long). I'm caliper checking all my match ammo now until I come up with a better solution. Using the barrel is an option, but still one at a time.

A five grain difference should show up if you weigh each round. If you are still in doubt after checking just pull them. QC is a major part of reloading. I put eyes on every case before a bullet drops. A lot of light is critical.

couple of thoughts:

1. it MAY NOT have been a double load - could have been a squib 4th shot, or bullet setback?? Just a thought:)

= try pushing a few bullets into the case - see if they setback. (From the "Loud Explosion", it doesn't seem

too likely = but worth checking.

2. to speed up the process of weighing the ammo - weigh five at a time - most likely they'll mostly be fine - but

this might speed up the process of locating the few that are "heavy".

Just a couple thoughts - they might work??? But, I wouldn't fire any more of those rounds ... :cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

You are lucky you did not destroy your gun or lose fingers. Is saving the $30 you have in the ammo worth taking that risk again? The difference in powder charge is unlikely to be reliably detectable. Either pull or scrap the suspect ammo (take to local hazmat disposal facility - don't just dump it in the trash).

More important is what you are going to do to stop this from ever happening again. Do you have a powder check/lock out die? If not, you might want to consider one. Otherwise, rig up a light and make sure you visually check every powder charge you throw. If visual checking is what you choose, also consider using a bulkier powder so it is obvious you have a problem.

Just noticed you are in Cincinnati. Where? I have helped a few guys get things sorted out locally. There is nothing like hands on. I'd be glad to help if you have any questions.

Bunch of guys, beer afterwards - hey, a BULLET PULLING PARTY - bring your own inertia puller and a block of wood.

A five grain difference should show up if you weigh each round. If you are still in doubt after checking just pull them. QC is a major part of reloading. I put eyes on every case before a bullet drops. A lot of light is critical.

Exactly right. Note: "QC is a major part of reloading". There should be an entire section on quality control.

Dog

If you are using mixed brass weighing them may not tell you anything.

My mixed 45 cases weigh anywhere between 86.3 grains and 90.2 grains... 3.9 grain difference

Berry's plated 230 RN's I just checked vary between 229.3 to 230.3... 1 grain difference

So depending on cases and bullets a 5 grain difference might just be component weights and not reflect the powder charge

I like RePete's idea, bullet pulling party...

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to thank everyone who responded to my original post...some terrific advice, which I'll definitely follow. Actually, I went ahead with the idea of weighing each of the potentially problematic rounds and did indeed get significant differences...or at least what I perceived to be significant, 5 to 6 grains. But as several of you pointed out, this was simple variance of miscellaneous cases. The powder charges were all within spec. But, I held a solo 'bullet-pulling party', and reloaded every single one, for my own peace of mind. From now on: 'an eyeball on every powder charge'!

By the way, Sarge, I'm a member of your club: MRPC. Thanks for the offer of help. I'll yell when I screw up again.

It's only 200 rounds. Set them aside and pull them on a rainy day. If you are worried about them.

I'll 2nd that. In my experience, rounds with a 5 grain powder charge difference cannot be found with any scale.

A while back, I was chasing ammo demons and I found a weight range of 66 to 74 grains for PMC .40 cases.So, at least in this case, even the same head stamp would not tell you anything.

Later,

Chuck