Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9grs of HS-6 is giving me 200PF?!

DrLove

so I had some HS-6 and I loaded some 9mm major with 9grs which several people have told me will get you around 170PF. Amazingly, I'm getting a PF of more than 200.

124MG JHP, OAL of 1.150, and SRP.

This is out of a shortie, 3 port comp, no barrel wholes.

Also dot movment was crazy but I guess expected at 1650fps.

Am I loading too much or too short? Should I go to 8.5gr? What do you guys think?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should seriously consider reading a loading manual and doing more research than "several people told me"...

Well, the previous owner of the gun I used and the load data on this site said 9grs :) Anyway, now I have a load if USPSA changes major to 200 :):)

I think you should seriously consider reading a loading manual and doing more research than "several people told me"...

Well, the previous owner of the gun I used and the load data on this site said 9grs :) Anyway, now I have a load if USPSA changes major to 200 :):)

How many did you shoot that chronoed that high? If you are using the previous owners recipe and getting crazy readings maybe the chrono was the issue. That being said My gun used to have an extremely slow Briley barrel in it and I was only using 8.6 HS6 with a 121 @1.168. Others were getting to my PF with about 8.2 or so with all other parameters the same. So you are much shorter in oal, you are using a heavier bullet so should need less than my 121's did. You are shooting a shorty however. But still I think 9 grains is a lot of HS6 for a 124. I don't know how you got it in there. 8.6 was filling my cases pretty full.

Are you sure the bullets were 124's? did you weigh them? My 121's run about 1450 fps. I don't think you can get a 124 to 1650 with 9 grains out of a shorty.

Something doesn't sound right. Pull those bullets and weigh them and the charges again.

I don't think you can get a 124 to 1650 with 9 grains out of a shorty.

Well I just did. Actually you probably know the gun and the previous owner Sarge, it's Larry (aka full race or something like that).

The cases were pretty full with 9grs indeed but I did weight the bullets, 124 it is.

Anyway, I"ll reduce and chrono again. I don't think the chrono is an issue because I chronod another load for my other gun and it was normal.

9 grains sounds a little nuts! How long is your barrel? I have a short Tanfo with a 4.1" barrel which made 171PF with 8.0 grains of HS6 and a 124 grain bullet. My CZ (5.1" barrel) makes 172 PF with 7.6 grains and a 124.

Even my Tanfo Gold Team with 12 holes in the barrel only took 8.3 grains to get 164PF with a 124.

Are you sure "they" weren't talking about loads for 115s?

Edited by kneelingatlas

Well I just did. Actually you probably know the gun and the previous owner Sarge, it's Larry (aka full race or something like that).

The cases were pretty full with 9grs indeed but I did weight the bullets, 124 it is.

Anyway, I"ll reduce and chrono again. I don't think the chrono is an issue because I chronod another load for my other gun and it was normal.

IF your going to use my name in this forum, GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT! I specifically told you 115 JHP and 9 grns of HS6.

You are lucky you did not blow that gun or yourself up. I also you told you could ask me any questions about loads.

IF your going to use my name in this forum, GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT! I specifically told you 115 JHP and 9 grns of HS6.

You are lucky you did not blow that gun or yourself up. I also you told you could ask me any questions about loads.

oops, sorry dude, I remembered you said 9grs but I guess I missed the 115 or 124s! Anyway, with what I saw today, I'm not even going to go 115 at 9grs. I will go 115 at 8.5 and go from there.

This is the very reason I post NO load data on the web. For some people you may as well be posing a crack recipe. Work your own loads - learn from the process. Shortcuts are for fools! I'm not convinced that some even know how to zero a scale. Ok, off my rant now.

"oops, sorry dude" -- almost famous last words. You should send the builder a check.

Edited by Doc Hunter

Dude, I've been loading with HS-6 for years now and have/had several Open guns and I've never heard of anyone using 9.0 grs with a 124 at 1.150 and no barrel holes...ever. Not sure where you got that from but you should get the lowest you can find and then reduce 10% minimum and work up. For your gun with a fast barrel, you should be using around 8.3 MAX and a longer OAL. Go back down to 7.5 (and go out longer like 1.165-1.170) and work your way up before you hurt yourself or someone around you.