Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How close to power factor do you run?

niroth81

I've only been shooting IPSC for about 6 months now. Finally have my own gun (CZ 75 SP01 Shadow) and have worked up a load for it. I'm getting fairly consistent 1030-1040 fps with a 125gr pill, with the odd running just below 1000fps.

I'm curious to see how close other shooters run their handloads to power factor requirement. Either for major or minor, do you only sit a few points above power factor, ie 128PF, or do you make sure you reach 130PF+ to give that fudge factor?

Jase

I tend to set mine up at 130 for minor and 170 for major. Although I cut it real close this past match at 125.2! The temp and conditions changed drastically from when I chronoed at home and at the match.

Although my powder is not supposed to be temp sensitive it dropped. I chronoed in 83* sunny temps at home and the match was a cool 65* breezy and raining.

A safe bet would be at least a +5 over minimum pf.

Edited by Prov1x

I run a CZ75 and shoot 147gr Bayou Bullets over 4.1gr of WSF. At the GA sectional last month I was 135.5, At the NC Sectional this past weekend I was 139.

Quite a bit over min PF but I like how it shoots. I get good groups at 25 yrds.

8-10 over, if the trip is particularly costly, I go more like 12 over.

I got burned at area 7, thought it turned out to not matter because gun broke, but the last thing I want is excitement about making it at chrono.

I'm getting 1030-1040 fps with a 125gr pill, with the odd running just below 1000fps.

Jase, I fire at least 20 shots and take The Lowest Velocity - use that as

my PF. In your case, the "odd running below 1,000" is too low for me.

I'd make sure that none of 20 - 30 rounds run "below the 1,000 mark".

Just to make things complicated for myself, when I chrono a new load I aim for bullet weight times velocity minus one standard deviation to be at or above 165 PF. That way I know that even if I get unlucky with the rounds pulled for chrono I SHOULD still be fine.

(And of course the load has to be accurate and reliable).

Edited by JonSnow

I aim for bullet weight times velocity minus one standard deviation to be at or above 165 PF.

What is "one std dev"?

One standard deviation is a statistics term that helps to evaluate the different values of a test and see how they disperse around the average. One standard deviation means that roughly 84% of your test loads should be above your acceptable threshold.

I aim for one standard deviation at or above 165 PF.

What is "one std dev"?

means that roughly 84% of your test loads should be above your acceptable threshold.

Not sure how large a sample you're using (number of shots over chrono), but I like to

shoot at least 20 shots (sample size) and have NONE of them below acceptable PF.

Doesn't matter how large or small he sample is, standard deviation is calculated off of the numbers you get. Sample could be 5 or 500. The lower end of his standard deviation is 165PF. Out of 100 test loads, he expects 84 to make 165 or above.

I aim for one standard deviation at or above 165 PF.

What is "one std dev"?

means that roughly 84% of your test loads should be above your acceptable threshold.

Not sure how large a sample you're using (number of shots over chrono), but I like to

shoot at least 20 shots (sample size) and have NONE of them below acceptable PF.

I shoot minimum 40 rounds over the chrono, throw out the highest and lowest, and calculate PF based on average velocity - one std dev. Many chronos will give you the std dev automatically, if not Excel can do it for you or I'm sure you can find an online calculator.

Wiki article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation