Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is sooooo hard about reading match rules

Why do so many shooters pay match fees and then not know the rules for the match. Ok we know rules are different for different matches, and coming up with a single rule set isn't going to happen. So why are shooters so surprised when they get bumped to open or dq'd for a rule violation.

My thought is that if you don't know the rules your are just there for the fun of it and don't care about the outcome or any negative thing(s) that happen as a result of you not knowing the rules.

A "competitor" on the other hand knows the rules and the consequences of not complying with them.

Being a competitor doesn't mean you need to finish in a certain place, just that you care enough to plan, prepare, practice and try to improve.

You MUST put the rule book in picture form, for some.

We get QUITE a few calls about our products, guys LOOKING at our web site, while on the phone with me and asking the EXACT questions the product description describes, it happens so much it's ALMOST funny.

Edited by toothandnail

You MUST put the rule book in picture form, for some.

We get QUITE a few calls about our products, guys LOOKING at our web site, while on the phone with me and asking the EXACT questions the product description describes, it happens so much it's ALMOST funny.

Comic Book rule format. Problem solved?

You can even do an FAQ style section that shows people getting "Zapped" or "Kapowed" by certain gun configurations or rule violations. Could be funny if you imagine the possibilities.

The shooter/competitor comparison seems to make sense.....except that you potentially throw a lot of money away when reading and knowing the rules can save it for you. We had numerous people tell us that they didn't know their sg held 10 or 11 rounds, or that having that many at the start was wrong, or that they didn't know magnetic rifle ammo would get them dq'd, or that shooting a prop would get them a DQ. Yet all it takes is a few minutes to read the rules

IF all the rules are specifically listed in a "rules" section of a website.....I 100% agree. A quick confirmation prior to shooting a stage is acceptable in my mind tho.

1st time at Rock Castle shooting the ProAm this weekend and I made sure to ask about loading beyond 8 rounds in the tube after the start to make sure it wasn't like Blue Ridge, I figured it was better safe than sorry to ask ahead of time. Doing it anyways, and acting surprised when busted is an entirely different story.

IF all the rules are specifically listed in a "rules" section of a website.....I 100% agree. A quick confirmation prior to shooting a stage is acceptable in my mind tho.

1st time at Rock Castle shooting the ProAm this weekend and I made sure to ask about loading beyond 8 rounds in the tube after the start to make sure it wasn't like Blue Ridge, I figured it was better safe than sorry to ask ahead of time. Doing it anyways, and acting surprised when busted is an entirely different story.

As a RO , I'd have no problem with that, what gets irritating is, the guy asking that, which I JUST clarified was OK/NOT OK, during the stage briefing, but he and his buddy were talking the whole time.

I have started taking note of those guys and when they ask, I simply say "we just covered that in the briefing".

When I do a stage briefing I try and stress the little diffenences between matchs , what is OK/NOT OK at THIS match.

for example , After the buzzer can I load more rounds?, can I start with rounds in my hand?

As a RO , I'd have no problem with that, what gets irritating is, the guy asking that, which I JUST clarified was OK/NOT OK, during the stage briefing, but he and his buddy were talking the whole time.

I have started taking note of those guys and when they ask, I simply say "we just covered that in the briefing".

When I do a stage briefing I try and stress the little diffenences between matchs , what is OK/NOT OK at THIS match.

for example , After the buzzer can I load more rounds?, can I start with rounds in my hand?

As a shooter and occasionally an RO.....it's disrespectful of a shooter to not come forward and pay attention to the stage briefing!

Your supposed to read those??

Just kidding. I do. I think most do. But, the ones that don't always stick in our mind and make it seem more widespread than it is. Maybee the first line on the liability release form at registration could be a box to check that reads "I have read and understand the rules of this tournament". But in the end (as we said in the military) "There's always that 10%".

when I RO and go over something literally 5 seconds before someone asks be for the 800th time that day, I politely inform them they should have been listening, and should maybe ask someone else in class who was listening.

I also teach, so that probably doesn't help.

Don't be a dick as an RO, you need to answer everyones questions no matter how many times the topic has been covered. Your job is customer service.

As for reading the rules, if they don't thats on them. I never feel bad about enforcing them.

I did not read the rules of golf I must admit before playing the first time. :yawn:

I did read the 3-gun/multi-gun rules but I again admit that some things I did not understand what they meant before going to the match. I did listen to all the prior briefing but again it was a lot covered it a short period. I would ask questions to get it clear before each stage and I did get conflicting directions from different RO’s ... like yes the safety must be engaged ... then same weapon same situation but no safety engaged. Some of the nomenclature was foreign to me as well but I am learning. I failed to ask a question in my second match even though it did cross my mind but I thought I knew the rule but I was completely wrong and got DQ’d and it was a little embarrassing but I just put my stuff up and took over scorekeeping and setting targets and I KNOW that rule now by heart.

The other 200 or so I may still be a little fuzzy on. :roflol:

I agree 100% , but most matches I've RO'd there's no time to give every shooter their OWN individual stage brief.

As an RO , I make several announcements leading up to the brief, 5 min til brief , 1 min til brief. etc.

I ALSO pay attention to who's NOT listening/talking, during the brief

They get NO special "in the box" brief, not fair to those who DO pay attention.

I don't think what Traper is referring to really has anything to do with the stage briefing. I personally would be embarrassed to walk up to the RO at the start of the stage and ask "uhh, can I have 11 rounds in my shotgun to start....?" If I do, any of you all have my permission to roll up a rule book and whack me in the forehead with it.

I always read the rules, force of habit (nuclear power thing).

After some further thought from my first post; in only shooting 3 major matches so far I have seen the rules change from those posted once during the match and once within maybe a week or so before the match concerning shotgun capacity.

The first time was my first major match and I don't remember the details.

The second time the rules were posted maybe 2-3 months before the match (8+1max,8 in the tube max) but changed (8+1,8 in the tube at the buzzer) within maybe 2 weeks of the match.

So after shooting half the match I was a shooter load 2 after the buzzer, I asked the RO and he said sure it's OK.

After being burned twice I always read the rules the night before the match and I am “that guy” who always asks about shotgun loading/capacity limits on each shotgun stage when it is not clear in the stage brief.

I’m never going to win a major match, I don’t care what the rules are for a given match, I just want them to be the same and enforced the same for all shooters.

Yeah I'm not against rule clarification and I don't do anything to be mean. An RO's job is NOT customer service. It's to safely and effectively run stages by following the rules. I will answer people, but why should I spend half my day and all my patients giving individual stage info to people that were too busy yapping to listen to the walk through? Especially if it's something we cover explicitly, 3 times in that talk?