Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

used 2011 for limited

Sandbagger123

i have been looking locally for a second hand 2011 for while. in my experience, 1911 style guns can be finicky so i prefer to be able to inspect it. This being said, i have had no luck finding one with the budget i can afford.

I have seen a couple on the EE that was in y price range. what has kept me from buying is my concern that i might get a lemon and be stuck with it.

So are my concerns about buying a used 2011 sight unseen unfounded?? Or should i just wait and keep looking locally??

Has anyone bought a used gun, and it was a lemon?

Thanks

I've bought one and traded for another here and have had good luck. They weren't perfect but very serviceable. I guess it depends on how comfortable you are in trouble shooting any problems and wether it will be cost prohibitive to have work done or do the work yourself. Another thing is to have a realistic expectation on what you may get.

I wouldn't worry about buying on here used.

Even gunbroker/arfcom I wouldn't worry about it unless it looks like the gun has been ridden really really hard. They are so easy to work on even if something was wrong it's correctable.

I bought my sti very lightly used on GB.

I bought mine (used Edge .40) on here and it has ran like a raped ape.

Ive shot different length of ammo ( 1.135-1.180) and different mags (brand new stock mags, mags that came with gun and mags bought on here) with ZERO issues of feeding, firing or ejecting. literally all 4k+ rounds ive put in this gun has went bang.

Just recently changed out springs in gun and mags just to keep things running smoothly.

Another thing to consider when buying here is that most are real shooters. People here shoot uspsa and you just can't have an unreliable gun. Most guys are always just looking to upgrade so some real deals can be had.

Another thing to consider when buying here is that most are real shooters. People here shoot uspsa and you just can't have an unreliable gun. Most guys are always just looking to upgrade so some real deals can be had.

That's a good point. I just picked up a used STI from a guy I know who has shot about 1200 rounds through it at matches so i know it's reliable. I got it at a good deal so I am happy.

I bought my used custom built 2011 off this site as well. I was fortunate enough to live 3 hours from him so I was able to see/shoot the gun in person before any money was handed over.

I've sold guns on here as well. Guys who have been on the site for a while and are selling guns I wouldn't hesitate with, you know they are using the gun, so it works like it should. Plus, I know I don't want a bad reputation on the website and most of the guys on here don't either. Couple guns I have seen that had issues being sold were listed as having an issue. But they were more of a project gun though.

On any forum, I will buy from people who have been a member for some time and have a decent post count so I know they are active. New members with little to no posts I won't buy from.

Edited by Punished

I'd be sure I had a good path to get the gun fixed if and when something went wrong. For example if I was thinking STI then I'd call them and ask about warranty repair policies for the gun after it has been resold. I'd also spend time talking to the seller so we both had a good understanding of the buyers expectation for the condition of the gun. I think the odds are good for you but it is not impossible to get stuck with a lemon, it happened to me once.

Unless they recently changed, STI warranties the gun for life, not the owner. Buy with confidence. If your still shaky about it, call STI and tell them the situation, see what they say about repairing a problem bought used.

There really isn't much that can be wrong with a 2011 that can't be fixed. There are self proclaimed gunsmiths out there who can screw up a frame beyond repair but it ain't easy. If you would like a list of those smith's that I would recommend staying away from, just PM me.

I've bought a used Edge and two used Eagles. Only one of them had an issue, but I knew about it going in - and the gun was priced accordingly. Hell, you always take a chance when buying a used anything. But I'd feel pretty confident buying on this site.

I have been told, and live by "never buy a gun from a GM, because you know that gun has had the sh*t shot out of it" I broke my rule once and got a gun with a cracked slide, cracked frame, and barrel with a bulge in it" luck got all my money back outta that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4

Ive got a question about a used edge that i bought off of another forum...it has "edge" written in small letters on the left side of the gun on the lower right portion of the slide by the rear serrations. All other edges that i have seen have "edge" printed in big letters down the middle of the left slide.

Whats the difference in the models? One is a newer model and mine is older or ??

Edited by Prov1x

And remember all used guns only have 2k rounds through them :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4

Thats funny because in the regular guns (non compentition) world, everyone who brings a gun to my shop to trade or sell says it has "no more than 100 rounds through it". >_>

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Yours is the newer 2013 model. STI has gone back and reduced the rollmarks on several models.

Which guide rod and plug do i need for my sti edge that has the recoil master in it, i want to replace it. also what weight of, reduced power recoil spring should i use, 12#?

Egw FlGR and reverse plug was a drop in fit in my sti. I'd recommend if you don't want to spend for a Dawson tool less.

Wolff 12lb spring and aluminum shock buff. The only problem with adding the shock buff is the hole drilled in the rod is real tight when dissembling (I have to use a needle instead of a paperclip since diameter is a lot smaller) . You could forgo the shock buff I'm sure, I don't mind having it in there though.

I actually have a slow motion video of this combo with 170pf ammo.

Edited by Forgetful