Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why shoot L10 and which gear?

DrLove

I'm surprised no one else has said this yet but...

I shoot L10 because I can't count past 10. :D

In all seriousness, I started in SS then decided I wanted to buy a race gun but didn't want to spend a fortune. So I picked up a used Para P16-40 and have been loving it, except the mags aren't reliable when fully loaded and I can't seem to break myself of the habit of reloading every time I move. So I shoot L10 now.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

This has been a question of mine since I joined USPSA and began shooting matches at my local range. I began shooting with my G23 EDC and I now shoot a G35 with off-the-shelf .40 ammo and I just classified "C" in Production. I'm wondering, with my straight stock G35, if I should shoot L-10 or Limited to get my next classification. I hope to have the opportunity to shoot in the 2014 MS Classic and I know that with factory ammo, I will chrono Major PF so I would not be able to shoot in Production.

I can see the advantages of L-10 in keeping with the mag changes that I'm accustomed to in Production and I'm not sure that I can be very competitive in Limited with my, very little, USPSA experience and stock G35. I have been told that I should shoot limited so I won't have the mag changes, but again it's the fear of finishing "last" that haunts me...................

This has been a question of mine since I joined USPSA and began shooting matches at my local range. I began shooting with my G23 EDC and I now shoot a G35 with off-the-shelf .40 ammo and I just classified "C" in Production. I'm wondering, with my straight stock G35, if I should shoot L-10 or Limited to get my next classification. I hope to have the opportunity to shoot in the 2014 MS Classic and I know that with factory ammo, I will chrono Major PF so I would not be able to shoot in Production.

I can see the advantages of L-10 in keeping with the mag changes that I'm accustomed to in Production and I'm not sure that I can be very competitive in Limited with my, very little, USPSA experience and stock G35. I have been told that I should shoot limited so I won't have the mag changes, but again it's the fear of finishing "last" that haunts me...................

First off, you *can* shoot production with major ammo, there's just no good reason to do so.

Second, finishing last doesn't actually hurt. What's important is that you improve.

If you insist on shooting factory ammo, it would make sense to me to shoot L10 with that gun unless there is just no one else shooting L10 in your area. 40 minor is also a very nice round for production

Thanks Motosapiens,

I don't insist on shooting factory ammo, I'm just not set up to reload yet. I do plan to have a "Dillon Blue" Christmas though. :D

Awesome. Looks like components are starting to become available, so that is good timing on your part.

I shoot production with a cz75b, in .40, and the light-loaded 40 rounds are very soft recoil. I also thought about using it for L10 (since the L10 nationals were somewhere I could drive to), but i found in testing that I shoot better and faster with my 1911 (heavier gun, slightly longer barrel), so that's what I ended up using for L10. With the longer barrel and fairly beefy slide, your G35 may be more effective for L10.

Note that you also have the option of spending money on mag extensions to make the capacity more competitive in Limited. I'm not sure what exactly is available, but the g35 is a fairly popular gun for folks wanting to shoot Limited class on a budget.

There was talk in this thread of the idea of having Major Production instead of L10. Though it won't happen because of 1911's, it is an interesting idea.

I shoot L10 because I only have standard mags. If I ever got a magwell (allowed in L10 and Lim), I'd have to get different basepads anyway in order to seat the mag. At that point I might as well go full Limited and get +5 basepads. Thus, I shoot a stock G35 without a magwell.

If there was a division within Production that gave a benefit for shooting major, I'd be more than happy to shoot Production.

Though I do like my mags where they are now, on my front left.

So I've never understood why shoot L10. I mean if you have a good limited gun (2011 or even good plastic gun) you'll shoot limited. On the other hand, if you're the 1911 kind of guys, there is single stack there for you. So why do some people shoot L10? Which gear do they use and what is the advantage of doing so? Anyone?

I have one gun I can use for this game. Sig 226 in 40/357SIG and also have a 9MM top end and mags. For me, it is good for L10 with the 12 round mags, good for production with 9MM top end and mags, good for three gun in 9MM with stock 20 round mags, and great for carry in 357SIG.

On a match day, I look at what I have for the most ammo and that decides the division I shoot.

So far, I've only shot in production. But, I have a .40 top end for my CZ 75 and would really like to shoot major. There are a couple factors that make L10 kind of interesting.

First, it would be cool to compete against some different individuals in a new division with major scoring. I'm relatively new to the sport and unfortunately, I don't always score A hits ;) so I'd like to see how competitive I would be shooting .40 instead of 9mm.

Second, in Colorado, if you didn't own your 15+ Limited mags in June, it is now difficult/illegal to obtain them. For folks who like to tweak on their gear, this makes the likeihood of building a new 20+ capacity race gun inconvenient at best, if not impossible.

I started this game in 2005 using a single stack with 10 round mags in L10. I got an L10 slot to Nationals in '08 and shot my STI with mags down loaded to ten rounds. Last weekend I shot my 627 revolver in L10 becaused the new revolver rule will not start until Feb. '14. They were all fun.

I think it's great that there are classes for shooters that want different things from shooting USPSA matches. I don't have anything against the shooters that want to shoot limited or open guns. High cap frames and all the mods that make up guns in those classes don't fit into what I like about our sport, that's just me. I like 1911's. I like to set them up to what I think is their full potential. I really don't care if my finished gun weighs 44oz or 42oz. I don't care if the magwell I chose means the gun will not fit into a box - think about that one. Really, you are going to get a box and put my gun in it, goofy. Oh yeah don't forget to put your holster where someone else wants you to wear it and use one they tell you to use. Could you imagine the look you would get from the founders of our sport on that one. So for me I was happy to find L10, I don't have to use a hi cap gun and as long as I make major no one messes with me, perfect.

• 5 weeks later...

^ lol When I started, I started in L-10 with a P220 because it was the only gun I had that was suited for the game.

Then I went Revolver, bought an actual Limited-10 "race gun"', Single Stack and Production. I like reloading. :)

^^ I don't know why needing 5-6 mags would be cheaper than needing 3?

Because it is, when you factor in the cost of the inevitable basepads needed for Limited......

6 Glock Mags @ $30 each = $180

3 Glock Mags @ $30 each plus 3 basepads @ $45 each = $ 225

225 > 180

:)

^ lol When I started, I started in L-10 with a P220 because it was the only gun I had that was suited for the game.

Then I went Revolver, bought an actual Limited-10 "race gun"', Single Stack and Production. I like reloading. :)

^^ I don't know why needing 5-6 mags would be cheaper than needing 3?

Because it is, when you factor in the cost of the inevitable basepads needed for Limited......

6 Glock Mags @ $30 each = $180

3 Glock Mags @ $30 each plus 3 basepads @ $45 each = $ 225

225 > 180

:)

And 6 Glock with baseplates= $450. 450>225. ;)

I have expensive base plates on my nine L-10 mags. I don't even want to start to add that up. :(

What's important is that you improve.

No, what's important is that you enjoy yourself.

The reason many people shoot L-10.

• 1 month later...

I shoot L10 because when I started USPSA (mid 2013) I had almost no familiarity with the rules or classes, and I just showed up with a bunch of ammo, a belt, cheap holster, HK USP 45acp, and although I had 6 mags for it, 4 were 10 rounders, and the guys at signup said, "Go L10, that's the best for your situation."

My entire goal in USPSA was/is to simply become a better shooter. My original plan was to familiarize myself with the rules, and as my shooting/reloading skills improved to begin to shoot more guns in more classes and decide if I wanted to then stick with one gun/class.

7 months later, I'm only now just getting vaguely familiar with the classes and rules, and have only JUST begun to get a handle on what I don't have a handle on, shooting wise.

SOOOOO.... until I move a lot further with my shooting skills and gun inventory- and I'm not going to buy any guns just to be able to shoot a different Class- I'm going to stick with L10, if nothing else, simply because that's what I started in, and I'm kinda stubborn :)

7 months later, I'm only now just getting vaguely familiar with the classes and rules, and have only JUST begun to get a handle on what I don't have a handle on, shooting wise.

Have you read the rule book?

Yes. But to what end? I'm not worried about rankings, so my basic goal in knowing the rules is to simply not get DQd. If there's is a technical situation where I could have gotten a re-shoot but didn't, I don't honestly much care.

My local club is EXTREMELY helpful- both individually and management-wise. I've learned so much from those guys that at this point, my local USPSA matches are as much about learning from them as shooting.

Eventually, I may get to the point where rankings and optimization of gear for a class matters to me, but at this point in my life, I am only able to get to 4-5 matches a year. I work in the oil field, and have no set schedule...I spend aprox 280 days a year away with no way to carry a gun so I can't even attend matches near where I'm working. It's anybody's guess as to when I'm going to be off, and when I am, while I'm willing to drive several hours to shoot a match-and I do- there are times when I'm home on a Sat/Sun when family commitments take precedence.... so all of this boils down to this being a non-competitive (in the long-term) competitive hobby for me.