Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why shoot L10 and which gear?

DrLove

Why is it that some people can't conceive of the possibility there are shooters that look at the whole concept of reloading during a stage as an added dimension of the game... pretty narrow minded if you ask me. Possibly they just don't have the skill to do it.

Laws aside, I have no interest in Limited for just that reason.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that some people can't conceive of the possibility there are shooters that look at the whole concept of reloading during a stage as an added dimension of the game... pretty narrow minded if you ask me. Possibly they just don't have the skill to do it.

Laws aside, I have no interest in Limited for just that reason.

lol, i'm just a cheap bastard. You can be competive in L10 for little money and with a gun that is as reliable as a rock. In limited you start throwing money at mag capacity and spend time and money tweaking and fixing stuff instead of learning how to shoot better. Now I can certainly see why the technical wrenching aspects of limited and open appeal to some people, they just don't currently appeal to me. You don't see alot of posts from single-stack or L10 shooters trying to get their guns to behave.

Limited 10 was a great place to start learning the game with my first pistol, a SIG P220 in 45 ACP. This is a very nice weapon with no other division to attempt to be competitive and a lot of P220's have been manufactured in the last 30 years. There are many other weapons that make major power factor that can't compete with 2011's and glock's magazine capacity for two 8 round arrays so until they loosen up single stack restrictions there will be a place for L 10. Production, Single Stack, and Limited does not encourage the use of all guns in circulation and its good that USPSA is trying to do so now.

^ lol When I started, I started in L-10 with a P220 because it was the only gun I had that was suited for the game.

Then I went Revolver, bought an actual Limited-10 "race gun"', Single Stack and Production. I like reloading. :)

^^ I don't know why needing 5-6 mags would be cheaper than needing 3?

Ehh, I just read the article. I get it, but it's just window dressing. If I were him, I'd have a talk with USPSA about rolling out a marketing campaign campaign to talk about Lim-10 the way Caleb did in the article. Rebranding it or making it a "Super Production" division (what a crappy name) is unnecessary.

I think it's the kernel of a really good idea. Why not write an article for Front Sight? Get USPSA to go to a big sponsored shooter who doesn't shoot Open and have them shoot the L10 Nationals the way Caleb described.

I went with Lim 10 as a starting point to keep initial expenses down at the start and add as I could afford them I had a Glock 35 and 6 mags initially that I already owned. I have added more mags and extended basepads so I may make the switch to limited soon now that I am geared up. I viewed it as a good way to get started shooting major pf. Along the way I am finding I am also learning more about stage breakdown and reloads.

Except you can't shoot a single action (1911) in Production, unless they change the rules.

Oh, well.

Except you can't shoot a single action (1911) in Production, unless they change the rules.

Oh, well.

Better tell everyone who shoots right now with a 1911 and 10 round magazine they need to buy a new gun to shoot.

I'm running a Glock35 with 15-round stock mags. I decided to stay away from Production for the major scoring. I decided on L10 because I can't yet afford a magwell and magazine extensions. 4-5 Dawsons or Arredondos and an ICE Gen4 magwell, and one can easily spend $250-300. I'd be noncompetitive in Limited with my "small" mags.

I am surprised, though, that my range only has 5-7 L10 shooters, but it has 15-20 Limited shooters. If I had $300, I might jump into Limited, but practicing mag changes is a big part of my dry fire practice. In Limited, you really only have like one mag change in a stage, sometimes none. I often get to my 4th mag.

I am currently shooting L10, because I got a slot for Natls L10/Open and I normally shoot single stack so it was easy to buy the 10 rd mags, and be competitive.

We need the division for a few reasons: new shooters with single action type guns that max capacity at 9/14 rounds just are not competitive in limited. and if they are new shooters shooting .40, or .45 they are likely shooting major PF, and should be given the advantage of the points difference.rather than forced to shoot minor in production division, also the gear, we have lots of new shooters show up with a holster a mag pouch and use front and rear pockets for extra mags, this is not legal in production.

6" barrel single stacks? bull barrel single stacks?

browning HP? CZ ? sig 220 division would make for a much larger Membership card

at the end of the day there is usually ten times as many shooters in L10 division than Revolver, and we still love that division (myself included)

Oh, well.

Oh, well.

Better tell everyone who shoots right now with a 1911 and 10 round magazine they need to buy a new gun to shoot.

What?

I started shooting USPSA last year in Limited major using a glock 35 and a serpa holster. This year in January, I got some new gear to help finally get out of "D" class into a upper "C". Me, Serpa holster and classifier don't mix to well....

This summer (2 matches) I started shooting limited 10 to get classified in another division (using the same set up) before starting to shoot production minor with one of my 9mm glocks. I figure the transition from Limited to production would be a lot easier doing it this way. Right now I'm a upper "C" in Limited. After two L10 matches I have one high "C" and a "B" classifier. once I get classified, I'll start shooting Production. Don't know if I'll ever shoot revolver or not but Id like to be at least a "C" or better in every class.

But I'm starting to get the 3gun fun bug.... so I might have to spend more time and money on reloading instead..... :goof:

Edited by Mike Bell

And that's why I shoot production. For the money of a tricked out limited gun you can buy 2 good production guns.

OR 5...

I had been shooting a M&P Pro 9mm in Production and bought a M&P 45 mainly just to have but started using it in a local steel match after being teased about the whimpy 9mm. Later on a whim shot it in a L10 match and found out I shot it better than the 9mm and been shooting L10 with it regularly ever since. So to answer the original question, why shoot L10? As others have said, I like it.