Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mags not dropping free. Mag catch?

mike g35

I'm having issues with one of my STI's. mags aren't dropping free, they're sticking. They don't do this in my other STI. Would a new mag catch fix this issue? Anything I should check before starting to put in new parts?

Could be grip bushings or frame is contacting them. Then again, it could be your mag catch.

Thanks. My fiend (Bobby Carver) is sending me a JP mag catch. Not sure if it'll fix my issue but its worth a try (especially when it's free). Probably wouldn't hurt me to clean and lube the mags too. They're not really dirty but they definitely could use a cleaning.

When the catch is depressed the side closest to the release button can bind on the magazine, trapping the mag in place. I had this happen with a new STI. A few minutes with a dremel solved the problem.

I'm having issues with one of my STI's. mags aren't dropping free, they're sticking. They don't do this in my other STI. Would a new mag catch fix this issue? Anything I should check before starting to put in new parts?

Have you tried the known good mag catch in the gun that's having the issue?

Have you tried the known good mag catch in the gun that's having the issue?
Just did that. It's apparently not the mag catch.

When I insert the mag I hear 2 clicks. Where as with the gun that's working I only hear 1 (unless the other just isn't is clearly audible). Don't know if that has any bearing on anything but it seems like you'd only hear one click, the insertion of the mag catch into the notch on the mag.

STI grip? Crack in the grip can cause this and other issues.

It is an STI grip. Brand new, stippled and undercut, no cracks.

I think it's my mags. I can put dummy rounds (tried 1-5) in them and the drop like a champ. I think the front of my follower is hanging up somehow.

I've been reading a little online about the mag "over inserting". My followers are way up on my feed ramp. That would lead me to think that could be the issue. I'm gonna buy a Dawson posilock mag catch and play with tuning the followers. I already dremeled one on the front a bit and the mag is dropping free pretty consistently.

I figured it out. First off there was a little bit if debris in the gun that was making mags stick. So I cleaned the gun (inside and out) and my mags. That helped but there are two mags that are still giving me fits. That said I believe I'm just gonna have to tune the mags. I'm still changing to a DP Posi-lock mag catch, just because I believe they're better quality than what I have now. When I get home from work I'm going to measure the mags with my caliper and attempt to make the necessary adjustments.

I had this problem with my Glock, and I know it's not a STI, but when we stippled and narrowed the grip it got to hot and the mags would not drop. I am not saying that is what your problem is, but you might want to look at it. We stuck some grip tape on one side of the mag then inserted it into the gun about 10 or 15 times then did the other side the same, and it made it a lot better. Good luck

The trigger can also cause a mag drop problem. If the metal box section that goes around the mag has a leg that has a slight bow in it, there will be some rubbing on the mag. You should be marking up the mag with a sharpie and looking for the rub spots where it's hanging up.

Edited by jid2

The Dawson mag tuning kit addresses this. The mag can be squeezed in a vise until the front to back measures a bit under 1 3/8". I don't remember the exact number Dave recommended, but work slowly and test as you go until the mag falls out like butter. I did this to my mags a few years ago and it made a big difference. The mags are mass produced and the tolerances are fairly sloppy.

I take the mag catch out and stick sandpaper to the front of the mag and work it into the grip. If the mags work in the other gun its not the mags. The new grip might be a little tight in the front corners.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this happen once with big sticks only and it was the oddest thing. My magwell was slughtly out of shape and was "tweaking" the grip. Mags would drop fine without the magwell. As soon as I mounted it, 140's would drop but 170's would hang. Pulled another magwell out of my parts bin, and have not had another issue. Odd huh? :D

• 1 year later...

I recently found another odd thing: one of my mags is not dropping free when I try to reload. What I found is this: when I press the mag catch, I hold the gun a bit tighter; apparently tight enough to squeeze the grip (STI plastic) a tiny bit which is enough not to let the mag drop free. If I hold the gun in left hand on the frame, not the grip, and press the mag release: voila, it will drop free ...

First I thought it is the mag catch, because when I looked down the grip inside, I could see a tiny bit of the mag release poking into the grip. I filed this down until I was positive that it was not the mag catch. With all the try and error, I found that the flexing grip is the culprit.

Edited by scuba31

Did you try it w/o the mag catch in??

Use dry erase markers when marking up your mags.

I'm having a problem with two of mine now. A 140 and a 170. It seems when I'm inserting the mag, when I get towards where it locks in the mag catch, it starts binding up, with or w/o the mag catch in the gun. It is an STI stippled and DBL undercut. I have 4 other mags that work perfectly. I never thought of the magwell, I'll have to try that.

• 1 month later...

Love this forum.

I hadn't had any mag dropping problems until a few days ago after doing a complete teardown and cleaning. Last night I could barely get the mags to come out of the gun.

For me, it was the magwell. Took that off, and all of a sudden my mags were dropping perfectly again. Put the magwell back on being careful to keep everything aligned and no more issues.

I've shot STI guns for 3 years and never had this problem. If it shows up again I know the first thing i'll be checking.