Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which of these Powders for 9MM Minor?

PV currently has these in 4 or 8 lb jugs:

Alliant Green Dot

Alliant Promo

Alliant Red Dot

Ramshot Competition

Hodgdon Longshot

Which should I get for 9MM minor? 115 Berries... 121 Lead... 124 FMJ... out of a Glock.

May also need to use it in 40 major.

Or... are these choices so god-awful I should just wait?

Thanks.

Edited by Religious Shooter

Based solely on the Hodgdon burn rate chart I would choose Green Dot and 124s; do you have a crono?

For non compensated pistols fast powder and heavy bullets are the way to go, however three of the powders you have there (Promo, Red Dot and Competition) are faster than the popular fast powders for this sport, so that would make me nervous, especially since you're probably not going to find book loads to guide you. Longshot is WAY slower than the rest there.

Although I've never heard of Green Dot, it seems to be right there next to WST which I've used for 9 minor.

Start slow, load as long as your barrel/mags will allow (~1.14" should be doable) and you should be fine.

imho:

I'd wait a bit longer for a powder you want to load with not what they currently have.

Have you tried any local spots for powder? Maybe try a 1lb. canister before bulking up on those.

* Another W231/HP38 vote. :)

Loading MG 124JHP for 9mm Minor PF its GTG . . . . for longer distance accuracy 25+ to 50 yards I'd look for a slower powder.

The published data for Ramshot Competition will not make 125 PF using a 147 projectile. Wait for N320, 231, WST, or other more commly used powder.

Looking a little closer, none of the projectiles will make 125 PF with this powder. Pressures are all near SAAMI Max. Not a lot to love here.

Edited by jlamphere

When I'm looking at a powder, I type it's name into the search bar in the appropriate reloading section of this forum; there is a wealth of information here and a lot of guys who will try just about anything, if your search returns no results that's probably a good sign you should keep looking. I agree with SPDGG that 4# is quite a commitment on an unknown powder; do you have a local gun forum to post on? I've had great luck trading reloading components locally, 600-700 primers should get you a pound of powder to experiment. :cheers:

I'll put Green Dot against all others mentioned for any weight bullet in 9mm.

TG, American Select, 231, Power Pistol, WSF, Unique, Universal, 4756, N310, N320, N340, Competition, Zip, Silhoutte, Solo 1000, WSt, Accurate #2 and #5, Green Dot.

With proper load development they all work. Use what you can get cheaply and shoot it. It also depends on what type of recoil impulse you like. I stick with TG because I made a good deal on a bunch of it.

Thanks for all the input! I have a new scale on the way and just ordered an F1 Chrony. I bumped up my TG loads to 3.4/3.5 in a 147 and 3.8 in the 124, I will provide a range report later today. Also, any input on powder is appreciated. I have the following powders to choose from for 124 cast and 147 cast:

TiteGroup

HS-6

WSF

Clays

Green Dot

Promo

and I have CCI 500 SPP as well as Win Magnum SPP

This got me thinking about the balance between fast burn and pressure/velocity and accuracy. I have taken several weeks to research on the net and in books galore.

Years ago (20) I had settled on Unique as an answer to a lot of this -- but had a lot of time for cleaning weapons afer firing. I have been looking into the new Unique as a solution and finally looking at the stats came uo with Green Dot. I will be testing it in .45 ACP and 9mm over the next few weeks as soon as I can find someone kind enough to loan me a chrony locally........

Unique has been around for 100 years (literally). Tried it once. Filthy smelly stuff & lots of smoke. Used to use green dot - nearly as filthy & it kicked really hard.

Better choice for 9 & 40 would be N320. If its too much $$, try Solo 1000 (it is also single base and of comparable speed).

Edited by kneelingatlas

imho:

I'd wait a bit longer for a powder you want to load with not what they currently have.

Have you tried any local spots for powder? Maybe try a 1lb. canister before bulking up on those.

* Another W231/HP38 vote. :)

Loading MG 124JHP for 9mm Minor PF its GTG . . . . for longer distance accuracy 25+ to 50 yards I'd look for a slower powder.

I get sub 2" groups at 50 yards, with good, 124-125 grain jhp bullets, using VV320, Titegroup, or AA#2, at 130pf, out of both of my open guns. I can't see well enough to shoot small groups anymore with iron sights. :surprise:

There is some data on this forum for Ramshot Competition, which would probably make it my first choice. After that would come Red Dot, then Green Dot. Longshot is much slower than you want (though it will work), and Promo is a totally unknown quantity in terms of pistol loads.

Promo is basically red dot of a different density. Same charge weights (not volume) of each should give very similar results. Has been great for me for .45. (I know that's a much larger case and bore than 9mm, but still...)

Religious shooter, I have up to 7 pounds of Winchester 231 that I can spare. It won't come in it's original container because it's in my magazine in 70 pound kegs but I can put about 7 pounds into one jug for you. I am a Hazmat shipper so it would have to all be legal which means actual shipping from zipcode 28339 to you plus $27.95 hazmat fee to FedEx. Or if you can, pick up in Erwin NC at my warehouse during the week and avoid shipping and hazmat fees. I will only sell some to individual shooters at the same price PV has it for and only as a way to help people on this forum out. I think on PV it averages about $17 a pound. Please do not ask me to sell you this if you are going to try and flip it for 2 X's the price. And also please don't join this forum just for this powder. Members only as of this date and time. In case anyone is wondering I am a legit Ammo manufacturer that's why I have it in 70 Lb kegs.

Thanks for the offer. But I already pulled the trigger already and ordered 8lbs of Green Dot. PV is already out of stock of Red Dot and Ram Shot Competition.

I normally use Titegroup, Universal Clays and S1000 for pistol. I've been waiting for at least 8 months for those powders to come back into stock. I have a feeling I will have to wait a couple months (maybe even a year) more for them to come back into stock.

For those interested there's factory data for 9MM, 40 S&W and 45 for Green Dot (and Red Dot).

http://www.scribd.com/doc/19414423/alliant-reloading-manual

Religious shooter, I have up to 7 pounds of Winchester 231 that I can spare. It won't come in it's original container because it's in my magazine in 70 pound kegs but I can put about 7 pounds into one jug for you. I am a Hazmat shipper so it would have to all be legal which means actual shipping from zipcode 28339 to you plus $27.95 hazmat fee to FedEx. Or if you can, pick up in Erwin NC at my warehouse during the week and avoid shipping and hazmat fees. I will only sell some to individual shooters at the same price PV has it for and only as a way to help people on this forum out. I think on PV it averages about $17 a pound. Please do not ask me to sell you this if you are going to try and flip it for 2 X's the price. And also please don't join this forum just for this powder. Members only as of this date and time. In case anyone is wondering I am a legit Ammo manufacturer that's why I have it in 70 Lb kegs.

That is a great offer sir and the people on this site I am sure appreciate it. Too bad we don't have more like you.

All of the known powders like 320, 231, etc are what I would normally recommend, but if you can't wait forever for some to turn up, we had an old Bullseye shooter at our club who also had a fascination loading 9 mm. When he passed away there were a dozen of the old 20# ? Metal canisters of red dot and his friends said he swore by it. I bought one but have not tried it yet...good luck?

• 2 weeks later...

I took Bajadudes up on his offer to sell 7# of 231. He shipped it immediately, and I received it in 4 days! It was a fair price for powder I haven't been able to find. I just want to publicly say that I appreciate the offer and I commend Bajadudes for putting it on the forum and the speedy follow through.