Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3gun buttstock question

Mike Bell

Ok folks,

Last month I shot my first three gun match. Which is also the first time I used an AR in any sort of competition. What I'd like to know is, what do you folks prefer for a dedicated 3gun rifle stock?

I have a parts kit gun with a basic cheap M4 adjustable set up but I swapped it with my other AR's Magpul MOE stock for the match. Yall are going to think this is funny as crap but the problem I have with these adjustable stocks is my mustache is getting caught in it and it just seems to be flimsy to me. I deer hunt with a Remington R25 in .308 and I'm think about making one of my ARs into a dedicated 3gun rifle with a fixed stock.

Im really liking the skeleton style or maybe even that MOE fixed from Mgapul or Rock River operator I think it is.

What do you guys have?? Thanks

Nothing wrong with A2s. The Ace skeleton stocks are still solid and I prefer them over the A2s. I run the MagPul ACS-L. It has a great cheekweld, is solid (with a lock) and is still adjustable. Some matches hang you in stuff and I like to be able to adjust my stock for primarily prone vs. primarily offhand depending on the stage. The ability to tuck it in close by shortening the stock does help in some of the creative positions.

I really like the EFX-A1 stock from Mags LLC. Great cheek weld without being overly heavy. Balances out my 18" gun very well.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

I have this on my 308. I like it a lot.

My latest build I put a UBR on it just for the whisker reason. Although it is rock solid and the extra weight in the rear of the rifle does balance out the rifle a little nicer, I never use the adjustment. It is all ways in the rearmost position, probably do to me being 6'4", so for my next build i'm probably going to go with an ACE or one of the fixed length magpuls.

I run an A2 on the primary gun, I started with a BushMaster Collapser, but it felt like it was flexing a lot, so I swapped it out for an A2. #2built from Won parts has an off color MagPull and it seems better than the cheaper ones. If the A2 were a couple of inches longer I'd like it more. I stared out with the A2 in the 60's in a we country were not in, at that time we referred to it as the Matel toy gun.

Edited by CocoBolo

ACE SOCOM. Uses rifle length buffer, but is shorter that an A1when all the way collapsed, but longer that an A2 when extended all the way. Has a rubber butt plate, if you like them, but also works fine w/o one, I like mine w/o.

I have an Ace on my JP and like it. I have traditionally used std A2 stocks, never had an issue with them. I just recently put the fixed Magpul on my AR10 and like it. None of these pull my whiskers either.

Hurley

As you can see above, choice of buttstock is a very personal thing. I watched one friend go through at least 4 before getting what worked for him. It has a lot to do with how you shoot the rifle, what you might have been trained on, etc. If you are someone who shoots very square to the target like me, then you might like the shorter collapsible stocks. I am a big guy but when I shoot my nose is right at the charging handle just like it has always been since basic training. That means a shorter stock, I like the MagpulCTR. I like the lock that tightens it up compared to the MOE and it is what I have on all of my ARs from most basic M4 clone to my 3 gun rifle. It works for me and I like having the same feel no matter which rifle I am using.

I really like the EFX-A1 stock from Mags LLC. Great cheek weld without being overly heavy. Balances out my 18" gun very well.

I'm running and EFX-A1 stock right now. Go check out the lancer rifles ,they are using them. I love it. Solid, not too heavy ( i removed the floor plate ) , and has a great cheek weld, which is what i feel that the ace skeleton stocks lack

I'm running and EFX-A1 stock right now. Go check out the lancer rifles ,they are using them. I love it. Solid, not too heavy ( i removed the floor plate ) , and has a great cheek weld, which is what i feel that the ace skeleton stocks lack
I like the cheek weld, the balance, and the look of the MAGS fixed over any other option I tried. I was excited to see the magpul fixed come out, but I was very disappointed when I got my face on one. Since I'm a but of an ogre, I've added a 1" spacer to the A1 length EFX.

The only way I'd choose a collapsible would be if someone donated a UBR to my cause.

The A2 stock is an inch or two longer than the M16's you used in the 1960's. Those were either M16A1 or original M16's.

The M16A2 along with the longer stock was fielded in the mid 1980's...

Mick

I run an A2 on the primary gun, I started with a BushMaster Collapser, but it felt like it was flexing a lot, so I swapped it out for an A2. #2built from Won parts has an off color MagPull and it seems better than the cheaper ones. If the A2 were a couple of inches longer I'd like it more. I stared out with the A2 in the 60's in a we country were not in, at that time we referred to it as the Matel toy gun.

I like the cheek weld, the balance, and the look of the MAGS fixed over any other option I tried. I was excited to see the magpul fixed come out, but I was very disappointed when I got my face on one. Since I'm a but of an ogre, I've added a 1" spacer to the A1 length EFX.

The only way I'd choose a collapsible would be if someone donated a UBR to my cause.

Heck, I like my EFX-A1 better then my UBRs and ACS-L. Probably what I will use for most of my builds ffrom now on.

I tried a Vltor collabsible, it worked but i wanted to try a fixed stock. I switched to the ACE skeleton but I was having to push my cheek too hard into the foam to get a proper sight picture. I tried the Magpul MOE rifle stock and it was a bit short. I found that they made an extended butt pad and it was perfect. I like it so well I bought them for all my AR's.

I have an ACE ARFX on my Seekins and really like it. I like the foam feel on my face when shooting and the overall size. I can't have adjustable stocks in my commie state so I have to have a fixed one and the ACE works well and is light.

Heck, I like my EFX-A1 better then my UBRs and ACS-L. Probably what I will use for most of my builds ffrom now on.

Agreed sir, i'd love this on an spr / precision build as well. It's like a super super solid one piece SOPMOD

Does anybody know if the Magpul MOE fixed carbine stock fit over the six postiton adjustable buffer tube? it looks like it does but it don't say on Magpul web site....at least I haven't seen it if it does. But it looks like it slides over..... Im I just wishful thinking?