Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3Gun Fitness

I am concerned that my physical fitness is keeping me from performing as well as I can at Rocky Mountain 3Gun coming up. I just shot He Man Nationals and found that I just got too tired during the day which caused me to make mental errors while shooting stages. I have about a month before RM3G, what physical fitness routine will help me in this battle?

I don't do much exercise now, just walking my dogs and shooting matches on weekends.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One month is not enough time to see much improvement. Be careful trying to do too much too fast or you will end up sore and tight from trying to make up for lost time. That being said....Coreperformance.com has some good work outs that will help with agility strength and flexibility. You can order their dvds to use at home. Amazon sells their dvds also. What you eat is 50% of the battle. (before and during the match)

Try practicing (shooting) right after a workout or at the end of a long day. One of my best matches eve,r was when i was tired and stressed out, because I knew I had to be more focused.

Cross Fit is great! If you started 6 months ago. If you are not use to exercise if will beat you up. I had a friend that was out of shape and did a cross fit workout ( a very hard one) and could hardly move for the next week. This would be good to start after the 3 gun match.

Edited by jeremy kemlo

I am just guessing that your elevation (Colorado Springs) must be around the same elevation as Raton. Coming from Minnesota, I would always try to get there two days early to get acclimated to the altitude and I would start hydrating before I left my home state. It seemed that I would become dehydrated faster in the climate around the NRA Whittington Center.

Go to coreperformance.com They have a free trial membership. You tell them what you want to do and they will design a program for you. Including what to eat. You can log your progress online. As your fitness goals change, they can change your program to fit you. Or get their dvds and book and go for it on your own.

One month is not enough time to see much improvement.

I disagree. You can start some sort of cardio routine today. Running, jogging, bike, jump rope, hell walking fast. Anything to get your heart rate up and keep in there for a little bit. Anything is going to be better than nothing. You have to start somewhere. Beginning some sort of cardio routine will make it much easier to get into a more intensive workout routine. Depending on your level of commitment and available time, you could make some pretty good progress in a week, but you would really have to push yourself (two pretty hardcore sessions a day). That's not realistic for most folks with normal work commitments, you would also be sore as hell for a good week.

I realized after Blue Ridge last year if I wanted to stay in 3 gun, I had to get in better shape. I started in January and have made some pretty significant gains in 6 mos. Like others have said, diet and nutrition have also played a big part. For me, its made a huge difference with the long range rifle shots (not being so winded) and primarily my mental focus. I just don't get as tired and drained as I used to so I can focus as well on the last stage as on the first. Good luck with it!

Just guessing, but I would assume that heat combined with getting older is a bigger issue than core strength for you. Maybe how you hydrate and diet as well.

Hydrate: No more than 60 ounces of sports drink a day, as long as you are putting down 120 ounces of water. Pre-hydrate as well. Most Americans are slightly dehydrated all the time.

Cool: Neck cooling with the water crystals and or tech towels is a HUGE help to me.

Baby Aspirin every night. Thins the blood a tad, lowers blood pressure and increases O2 take-up.

Spend some time outside in the heat of the day over the next month as well.

I spent 2 days in the heat (95 degrees) taking a class Friday/Saturday. I was tired, but these changes really helped and I did not lose mental focus.

Edited by MarkCO

For me, exercise has to be fun or I lose interest fast. I always try to stay physically active, but a month ago, I picked up mountain biking again with the family. I don't mean pedalling around the neighborhood, but some good 2hr rides in Palmer Park (fairly demanding). Its way more fun than the gym and really gives you a strong work out on legs, core and cardio. Also, swimming laps is fun and can be a real ass kickin work out. 30min in a lane works out just about every part of your body. Even my hair is tired after a good swim. In general, I've found the most benefit coming from cardio type activities and a focus on improving both stamina and recovery rate. And I have certainly seen a very noticable improvement in only a month. I didn't really loose any weight or anything, just improved performance.

For food, I try to eat a very balanced diet. Very little sodas or junkfood. Lots of green veggies at least a little lean meat every day. Chicken breasts, Beef (not hamberger) and fish. I also eat a good breakfast every day. Eggs, yogurt, a banana or grapefruit. I mostly drink water or iced tea. A few times a week I fire up the espresso machine.

There are times, when you just can't beat the heat though. At HeMan last week, I shot stage 6 at the end of a long 105deg day with high humidity. I was sweating out fluids as fast as I could get them down. I felt fine, but when I got to the end of the stage I struggled to hit even the 200yd steel (normally easy shots). Upon reflection, I realized I had reached the end of my mental stamina. Physically I felt good, but I struggled to keep all of the details together while shooting the rifle portion of the stage. It showed in my time. Probably too much gatoraid was not a good thing either.

Edited by co-exprs

lots and lots of fluids, on the drive out, in the morning and one liter before and after every stage, aspirin . . .all day.

and magnesium , potassium, calcium and sodium supplements (heavy on the first three and moderate on the last one.)

cooling towels and neck wraps, Sponsor hats dunked in the ice chest, (that ice chest is perminatly mounted on the back of the truck for a good reason) Camelbacks full of Ice water.

No caffeine

(yes this does suck when RockStar energy drinks is your sponsor and cases are free to hand out . . . We give them to Denise . . .not that she needs extra caffeine . . .but it's fun to watch.)

and (may god strike me dead) no alcohol . . . . . Well maybe just a wee dram or two after the shooting day is over)

when you get to the range the first day take a good walk get your wind and blood going, do so every morning for a few min. while none of this will get you in shape it will help from a tiny bit to a lot during the match for a little more endurance and if nothing else I have found it will help with a faster recovery after each stage . . . .for the 2 mile walk back to the parking / staging area.

Look I'm in no way a DR., nor did I sleep in a Holiday in Express last night, but I am compleatly out of shape and theses are the tricks that have helped me the last 4 years in Raton.

One month is not enough time to see much improvement. Be careful trying to do too much too fast or you will end up sore and tight from trying to make up for lost time. That being said....Coreperformance.com has some good work outs that will help with agility strength and flexibility. You can order their dvds to use at home. Amazon sells their dvds also. What you eat is 50% of the battle. (before and during the match)

Try practicing (shooting) right after a workout or at the end of a long day. One of my best matches eve,r was when i was tired and stressed out, because I knew I had to be more focused.

Cross Fit is great! If you started 6 months ago. If you are not use to exercise if will beat you up. I had a friend that was out of shape and did a cross fit workout ( a very hard one) and could hardly move for the next week. This would be good to start after the 3 gun match.

You can do a lot in a month. I have lost as much as 25 pounds in 30 days before and gotten in much better cardio shape. Unfortunately its hard for me to keep it off. I agree if you are going for a long term change take it slow and work up gradually. But if you have an immediate goal you can do a lot in 30 days.

Pat

10 Burpees/sprint 400 yds repeat 3 times as fast as you can. 3 times a day. Have emt standing by! Seriosly though, burpees will help you get into and out of shooting positions faster and both will improve cardio.

Sent from my stupid tap talk thing that spells worse then me!

Edited by Nuke8401

6 weeks is the normal time quoted to go from zero to Ok shape. If you analyze it the actual change (assuming same exercise level) is an inverse log curve - meaning the most gain is at the beginning.

Start a program (as long as your Doctor Oks it) one month should help you out.

Edited by GuildSF4

Burpees!!

My oldest son made his living as a Personal Trainer for several years until he got into Law Enforcement. I asked him what a good workout would be for me, at my age, to help stay in shape for 3-gun matches. I normally run 2-3 miles several times per week, but that really does nothing other than helping with the "wind" part of staying in shape. Getting into and out of positions needs something a little more in my opinion. I found this out at the 2013 Task Force Dagger 3-gun match.

His advice to me was to pick an area right next to where I pasture my Paint Stallion. It is a steep enough hill that when you walk up it, you are breathing hard. He advised to sprint the 120 yards up the hill, do 10 burpees when you reach the top of the hill, then walk back down the hill and do it over, five times. I did that yesterday and thought that I was going to die. I am planning on doing this three times per week for the next month, then do some flexability exercises on the other days. His adice is to work at it until you can do ten sets of that drill.

What doesn't kill you will make you stronger, right? I refer to it as my "Earn a Beer Program".

Rather then a new workout, I would focus on what you are eating at the match, for now. Everyone is different but what I do is I eat a breakfast of oatmeal and three or so Powerbars throughout the match. It works out to about a bar every two or so stages. I want to stay ahead of my energy level so I eat one whether I want one or not to keep my energy level constant. At a bigger match, I stay away from the big mid-match meal, I just stick to my power bar routine and maybe through in a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

What should I be eating?

I started Crossfit in January and really watched what I ate and my calorie intake with MyFitnessPal app. (yeah there's an app for that.) I went from 250 to 215 in about 3 months, mostly due to the calorie counter. I shot the Ironman again this year and for the first time in a long time I felt great. I never got tired or winded, felt like I had energy to spare at the end and my knees didn't hurt at the end.

Controlling the diet was most effective for me. Then Crossfit fills in the physical need. If you are starting Crossfit I recommend starting with one of the small easier (insert laughter here) WOD's. You will be sore, but power through it and you'll be amazed at how it helps the shooting game.

Water, water, water. I drank at least 1 gallon of plain water everyday at the Ironman. I would supplement with gatorade type drinks on a 1 to 3 ratio (1 gatorade for every 3 water.)

Edited by Romans 13 4

In Jan I decided to join a gym. The a month I noticed a big difference during the match. My shoulder wasn't as weak, breathing easier, and mentally I was in the game longer. I lifted weights 3xs a week and tired to walk 1.5 miles 4xs a week also. Lost 25 lbs the first 3 months. But I still eat way too much junk food

First, you are living at a fairly decent altitude which means you won't have a long time to adjust to the higher altitude of RM3G. MarK is right on the money.

As everyone states, hydration is one of the most important thing you can do for yourself. Do an internet search, "dehydration effects on performance.' At high altitude it does not take much to begin dehydration.

Your nutrition is also important. Eating throughout the day will help with the fatigue factor. Eat right! Keep your blood sugar in the ideal range. Low blood sugar will have a negative effect on your abilities to focus.

Finally, I would suggest that not getting over-heated between stages will help.

If it helps, I live in NM and have run many races, bike daily, and skied Taos, etc. Even at my old age, I still follow the fundamentals of staying hydrated.

I stopped exercising for the last 75 days due to two surgeries - I am starting my cardio-strength program this month in hope of not being totally trashed at RM3G.

Edited by pjb45

There's a whole thread on physical fitness here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=145017&hl=

Having said that, what you can do in the upcoming month is start a stretching and LIGHT cardio program. I emphasize both, because you don't want to trash your body before the match (I'm assuming it wasn't cheap to arrange everything).

Over the long haul, like after the match, find some exercise you know you'll be willing to do indefinitely. I say "willing" rather than "love," because everyone gets to a point where exercise is drudgery for awhile. I run four times per week (2.7 miles at a fairly fast pace) and use a TRX suspension trainer (www.trxtraining.com) for core work and strength training (really good for squatting/kneeling positions). Couple that with a way of keeping track of what you're eating (I use the myfitnesspal.com iPhone app), and you'll see changes.

Other than that, make sure you're hydrated (and, no, beer doesn't count) the night before and during the match day(s). Keep your energy levels up during the match day(s) by eating snacks with some carbs and some protein (tuna/salmon/sardines with crackers, string cheese with crackers/fruit, peanut butter with fruit/crackers, fitness bars, etc.). Watch the amount of sugar in your chosen snack (fruits have a high amount of fructose, which burns pretty quickly, leaving you crashing after, so pair it with something fairly protein dense to meter it out better), and keep drinking water.

I carry those little drink mix packets (the size that mix with a 16.9 or 20 ounce bottle of water), because water alone gets old pretty quickly.

I started hitting the gym to prepare for the Tough Mudder this fall. I typically do 3-5 miles each morning, followed by weight training. I try to do similar things for 2-3 weeks, then change things up.

I'm a Chiropractor, so balance in my workouts, posture, form,....is all at the top of the list to me over how I look in the mirror or what my weight is currently at. Currently, I work opposing muscle groups out on the same day. So I will work out biceps and triceps, then shoulders and lats, then traps/rhomboids and pecs, then legs on its own day. I will do that for 2 weeks, then work out complimentary muscles together, and their opposing muscles later in the week....like chest/tris today, traps/rhomboids/biceps friday. I have to be careful with core exercises due to a disc herniation, so I use an exercise ball a lot more than I am on the floor.

I noticed a BIG difference at my first Gateway 3-gun match, Midwest3Gun, and local 3-gun matches after starting at the gym....especially when having to sprint during a stage, I wasn't breathing hard or out of breath at the end of the stage or while shooting.

Sprints and agility work. Start slow and work to get faster. Accelerating and stoping 10 to 20 meters. Sharp direction changes. I wish each stage started with a 3 mile run. God knows I'll never beat anyone standing around and shooting.