Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 3 Gun Optic Under $2K

joelogic

Time to start a higher end thread. :D

Well, I am all set to buy a Vortex HD II JM but I figured I would ask if there are any other options under $2k.

Seems the top of the market is $2500, except for the S&B, but $2500 is a bit steep for me. I am upgrading from an IOR 1.5-8. I really prefer a true 1x because most of the targets are close in.

Big ticket optics.

http://swfa.com/IOR-1-10x26-Eliminator-Tactical-35mm-Rifle-Scope-P53854.aspx

http://swfa.com/Schmidt-Bender-1-8x24-Short-Dot-PM-II-30mm-Riflescope-P47551.aspx

http://swfa.com/Swarovski-1-6x24-Z6i-30mm-Riflescope-P53087.aspx

http://www.usoptics.com/optics/sr-8c.html

Bright dot, Mil/Mil, under $2k would be awesome.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to hear what people have to say about the 1-8 USO.

+1...if it's just as good as my Z6i but the 1-8, I would love this scope.

I will say that of all the ones that I know about, except the S&B and USO, the Z6i is the best. If you wait for a deal on one, you can find them around the 2K mark.

I would like to hear what people have to say about the 1-8 USO.

+1...if it's just as good as my Z6i but the 1-8, I would love this scope.

I will say that of all the ones that I know about, except the S&B and USO, the Z6i is the best. If you wait for a deal on one, you can find them around the 2K mark.

Eye box on it sucks. Turret housing is large and makes it difficult to find a mount to fit it.

Best optic Under 2k IMO is the Vortex 1-6 Razor HD.

+1 for the vortex it is 99% of the famed swaro. the illumination toggle switch that the swaro uses is pretty neat but in terms of reticle anddot brightness and glass and fov and and and... the vortex holds it own when comparing it to the swaro(side by side)

save some money and get the vortex 1-6

IMHO the current crop of the 1-6 VX6 have bad reticles for 3 gun. Namely they don't have good hold-over points.

Even the 3gun version with the SPR reticle is bad. First hash is around 2-2.5 mils. That's like 400-500 yards to the first hash. IMHO... awful.

Couldn't that be compensated for by using a closer zero, say 25-50 yds?

Playing around on Strelock using 55grn @ 2850 100yd zero shows 2.26 MOA at 200, just under the first hash???

I'm trying to decide between the Razor II and the Leupold multigun, both have a "hot dot" that is daylight visible, 6x, equal FOV, strong warranty, but the Leupold is also marked for windage, etc.

What am I missing and please save your sarcasum for someone that thinks they know what they're talking about.

I'm new to this but I think I know what I don't know...

IMHO the current crop of the 1-6 VX6 have bad reticles for 3 gun. Namely they don't have good hold-over points.

Even the 3gun version with the SPR reticle is bad. First hash is around 2-2.5 mils. That's like 400-500 yards to the first hash. IMHO... awful.

Playing around on Strelock using 55grn @ 2850 100yd zero shows 2.26 MOA at 200, just under the first hash???

I'm trying to decide between the Razor II and the Leupold multigun, both have a "hot dot" that is daylight visible, 6x, equal FOV, strong warranty, but the Leupold is also marked for windage, etc.

What am I missing and please save your sarcasum for someone that thinks they know what they're talking about.

The VX6 SPR reticle is in mils, not MOA.

If you have iStrelock just set the reticle to the Leupold SPR reticle. The first hash the SPR is 2.5 MILS. Not 2.26 MOA. 2.5 mils is roughly 2.5x3.43= 8.6 MOA.

Inputting your specs, 100yd zero, 2850 fps with 2.7" sight line and .243 BC the first hash is predicted to be 400 yards. Not good in my book.

With the above settings for the:

Vortex JM-1 BDC: 100 / 231 / 325 /418 /512 /750

Leupold SPR: 100 / 400 / 550 / 659 / 743 / 812 / 868

IMHO the JM-1 BDC is waaaaaaayyy better suited to 3gun than the SPR reticle.

If you have iStrelock just set the reticle to the Leupold SPR reticle. The first hash the SPR is 2.5 MILS. Not 2.26 MOA. 2.5 mils is roughly 2.5x3.43= 8.6 MOA.

Inputting your specs, 100yd zero, 2850 fps with 2.7" sight line and .243 BC the first hash is predicted to be 400 yards. Not good in my book.

With the above settings for the:

Vortex JM-1 BDC: 100 / 231 / 325 /418 /512 /750

Leupold SPR: 100 / 400 / 550 / 659 / 743 / 812 / 868

IMHO the JM-1 BDC is waaaaaaayyy better suited to 3gun than the SPR reticle.

The Vortex JM-1 reticle is designed for a 200 yard zero. Then your hash mark are 300,400,500,600. It works best with a 200.

Matt

The Vortex JM-1 reticle is designed for a 200 yard zero. Then your hash mark are 300,400,500,600. It works best with a 200.

Matt

What specs does the bullet have to have and the atmosphere for that to happen?

200 yard zero with the specs that Bentsight gave (2850 fps, 55 FMJ) and my other specs iStrelock puts out: 0 / 281 / 362 / 450 / 537 / 762.

I really like the USO SR-8C. The dot is awesome and the glass/reticle are very nice. The USO without the dot is $2000 but it probably wouldn't work good for running and gunning. An extra $500 to get the dot doesn't seem worth it.

I really REALLY like the SR-8, but I'm not sure it's worth double the price of the Razor. I'm going to hold off and see if any other company comes out with something comparable.

Time to start a higher end thread. :D

Well, I am all set to buy a Vortex HD II JM but I figured I would ask if there are any other options under $2k.

Seems the top of the market is $2500, except for the S&B, but $2500 is a bit steep for me. I am upgrading from an IOR 1.5-8. I really prefer a true 1x because most of the targets are close in.

In honor of PK take a look at the IOR Pitbull. They have made very good improvements with the brightness of the dot. The rheostat ones are daylight bright now.

Matt

What specs does the bullet have to have and the atmosphere for that to happen?

200 yard zero with the specs that Bentsight gave (2850 fps, 55 FMJ) and my other specs iStrelock puts out: 0 / 281 / 362 / 450 / 537 / 762.

Actually for the specs that Bentsight gave, his load would match the Vortex JM reticle better if he zero'd his load based on the 1st hashmark at 300 yards. It would give the drops at 220 (zero) / 300 (1st) /384 (2nd)/465 (4th) /552 (5th).

55 gr bullet at 2850 fps seems pretty slow. He'll have to crank up the velocity to better match the reticle.