Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Storage options

tires2burn

I picked up a bunch of plastic boxes with lid from IKEA. I slap a piece of clear boxing tape on the lid and write what the load is with a Magic marker.

Change the load just pull off the tape and replace.

Each box holds just over 200 rds. Bought in packages of three for under $3. They've lasted for years. The only ones I do not still have are the ones that my wife commandeered for other projects.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80098583/

Bill

I have eleven-zillion MTM plastic ammo boxes. They suit my CDO (OCD, but with the letters in their proper order) side, and keep everything separated safely. Plus they stack, so you can make towers, and forts and even castles if you have enough of them. I have tried other, cheaper brands, but settled on MTM because I often load revolver calibers with longer that normal cast bullets, and the MTMs will accomodate this, but many others don't. I used to use old factory ammo paper boxes, but they got pretty shabby looking really quickly, and nowdays, who can afford enough factory ammo to keep themselves in empty boxes anyway? They're only a couple of bucks each, at the local gun store.

I guess I should have mentioned that I usually load in batches of a 1000. I also do the same with 9, 38, & 40. I almost think it would be best to just fill up a 50 cal ammo can with loose rounds. Would that work?

If you fill up a 50cal ammo can with pistol rounds, you better be a big ol' hoss because that thing will get heavy. Really heavy! Around 2000--2500 is about all I enjoy lifting & even then, I don't want to carry it round the block. When I do put it in big ammo cans, I usually put in a paper label with each batch. For examply, I dump 500rds in the can, level it out, lay a paper on top with the number of rounds below the paper, load data, date, etc. Then the next layer, same thing again. If you ever have a squib with 2500rds in a can with no divider, every round from then on down is going to be suspect. Does that make sense? If you have dividers, & have any issues at all, you can peel off the problem layer, deal with it & still have good rounds down below. My paper layers have the number of rounds in that layer plus a total number of rounds from that paper to the bottom of the can. Just ideas for you with things I've had happen to me.

Dillon ammo boxes are not expensive and last forever unless you throw them on the ground and jump on them. As said above they stack very well and don't take up a lot of room. You know how many rounds you have loaded at a glance.

shoe size plastic boxes from walmart. i use em for keeping brass separated while I'm processing it. I fill em up with ammo as I load. They come with lids and stack pretty good.

for a couple of bucks they work pretty good

i think these are the ones

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-3.75-Gallon-15-Quart-Latch-Box-Set-of-10/20699636

I have big dogs & buy dental treats for them at Costco. They come in plastic containers (w/lids & very stackable) that hold about 1000 rounds +/- each depending on the caliber. Besides that their breath is so much better smelling. :)

I usually store 50 rounds in a sandwich bag with a label telling what the load is. I need some new ideas.

Coffee cans are your friend, as are clear plastic peanut/mixed nut jars. All my ammo goes into coffee or nut cans (search the forums for "Bean's Bullet Bucket") as it comes off the press. Once I've case gauged it and it's ready for matches, it goes into 100 round Berry ammo holders color coded by caliber.

• 3 weeks later...

I use the Sterilite Ultra+Latch 3.5 Cup Rectangle which will fit 200 40 cal rounds in each one. It's a lot quicker than putting rounds in and taking them out of the ammo boxes with individual dividers. They easily fit in a range bag and are very secure and rugged. I can tell how many rounds I have on the shelf with a quick glance, and I just print a little sheet with the load data on it to include in each box so I can tell what's in it!

http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct.html?id=752&ProductCategory=269&section=4

Mike

Edited by Croomrider

Another benefit of the Dillon boxes is that they are in rows\columns of 10. When loading a mag I don't have to count - I just start with a fresh column and use up the right amount. Some of my open mags have this nice secondary "salt shaker" feature if you load 1 more that the regular amount and this method keeps that from happening unless I want it to :closedeyes:

Another benefit of the Dillon boxes is that they are in rows\columns of 10. When loading a mag I don't have to count - I just start with a fresh column and use up the right amount. Some of my open mags have this nice secondary "salt shaker" feature if you load 1 more that the regular amount and this method keeps that from happening unless I want it to :closedeyes:

Same benefit using factory/factory type boxes. Slide out 2 rows and dump into your hand.

I really like the 100 round MTM boxes. The hinges are really nice and the latches are sturdy. No fear of them popping open. I prefer them over bags so I can see how many I have loaded etc. I also like that each row of 10 in the boxes fills a mag to capacity for IDPA and USPSA (in 9mm at least) :)

Edited by RightYouAreKen