Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I WANT A 1911 AS RELIABLE AS GLOCK! WHICH BRAND?

I'm not sure what the indented purpose of the gun is and that is going to make a huge difference. I agree with what others have said about not messing with it, but the biggest issue that I see is ammo. Always running factory ammo is going to increase the probability of having your gun run more than any other factor.

I can't shoot a factory glock nearly as accurately as a 1911/2011. If I am carrying for SD then a Glock is plenty accurate enough and I know that it will run. If it is for competition, the trigger is a big enough factor for me to go with the 1911/2011. I can keep them in a 8" group at 50 yards offhand with my 2011. With the glock at 50, I can't guarantee that they will all be on the paper. I know, I know, the grass is greener where you water it. I have a Bedell Custom 9mm open gun (which is notoriously hard to tune for reliability) that has never missed a lick in 10000 rounds if you take out two times where a round with a mashed sideways primer made it into the mags. An open gun isn't a very good carry option, but I wouldn't hesitate to carry a 1911 that Dan built.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the OP bro,

I think a fair consensus is this....

If you get to choose a gun... any gun you want in the whole world, you get to load it, then pull the trigger for one full mag...

If it goes bang every time,empties the mag ,you win

If it doesn't YOU DIE

WHAT WOULD YOU CHOOSE?

As far as the OP bro,

If you get to choose a gun... any gun you want in the whole world, you get to load it, then pull the trigger for one full mag...

If it doesn't YOU DIE

WHAT WOULD YOU CHOOSE?

One that works , that I can shoot accurately, and has stopping power.

An awful lot of top tier guys have made that decision time and again and went with a 1911 platform in .45

If you throw in "easy to use" along with "I don't get to shoot it a lot", then maybe the answer is something different

As far as the OP bro,

If it doesn't YOU DIE

WHAT WOULD YOU CHOOSE?

If those are the conditions, I assume that you are using the gun as a carry piece. In that case, Glock. or J frame.

I say again though, if we are talking about a competition gun (since this is basically a competition forum) the vast improvements of the 1911/2011 platform over a glock or a j-frame make it an easy winner.

I think that 1911 is much more reliable than a glock, I have one that I have been carrying since 1982, I have shoot uspsa with it carryed it on conoe trips down rivers in Alaska, back packing in both alaska and the rocky mountians. I have shoot game with it pratice till I could shoot 5.3 El Presidents back when I was 100 pounds lighter and 25 years younger.I have always shoot 200 grain lswc with a 190 power factor this gun started out as a series 70 that i have shoot and shoot. I have shoot grouse from the seat of a conoe in alaska to eat, shoot pissed off bagers that I have come acrosted while horse back riding in Idaho. The gun is on its second berrel and I still can make all my hits on a ipsc in the a Zone slow fire off hand. I have both M&P's and Glock's but they are much more ammo sensitive then the 1911. I know it will always go bang, it is much more reliable then any other gun I have.

You are right that this is a competition forum. And I sure wouldn't want to run a USPSA field course with my every day carry J frame!

I've done that with my ruger scandium/polymer 38sp. It ain't fun, and that cylinder gets HOT!

I've had a lot of 1911's and the one that I would go with is a les baer...

I've had good luck with nighthawk and sti, but if I were to do a new 1911, I would try to get my hands on a baer.

Edited by Mike21STI

The benchmark is that it must RUN! Les Baer makes good guns, must break in. Will they run after that? How about the Dan Wessons, do they run?

Why are more custom guns built on STI stuff, do they run? What to buy?

No one mentioned the Colt's guns, opinions?

IT MUST RUN!! WHOSE TO BUY?

My Les Baer Premier II in .45ACP has been flawless, and I run 200 grain SWC's. It will keep up with any Glock as far as reliability, and is far more accurate. Break in is nothing more than getting out and running a couple hundred rounds of factory ammunition through it....

When I got my LBC Concept V and worked the slide, it was so tight that I thought “How is this ever going to cycle?”. My concern was groundless. Not one failure, even during the “break in” period. I wouldn’t think twice about buying another...hmmmmmm........ :0)

First of all do not watch any video with yeager in it... no matter what he says. Second ignore yeager. C: if Yeager says something do the opposite. Glocks are a lot like AKs, very simple with very loose tolerances. 1911s tend to have very tight tolerances, the more expensive the tighter. All that means is that you have to have perfect or near perfect ammo and magazines because there is no slop to allow out of spec ammo etc. If you feed it well and take care of your magazines most 1911s will not let you down. If you use banged up mags and long out of spc ammo your Glock will choke.

Then watch the second one with Yeager and Wilson Combat. They say pretty much what you are saying in a more detailed fashion. If you can't trust Wilson Combat to know a little bit about 1911's who can you trust? Plus, we pretty much already know it's true. Factory 1911's are a crap shoot. No rhyme or reason to them. They just kinda are.

My Les Baer Premier II in .45ACP has been flawless, and I run 200 grain SWC's. It will keep up with any Glock as far as reliability, and is far more accurate. Break in is nothing more than getting out and running a couple hundred rounds of factory ammunition through it....

When I got my LBC Concept V and worked the slide, it was so tight that I thought “How is this ever going to cycle?”. My concern was groundless. Not one failure, even during the “break in” period. I wouldn’t think twice about buying another...hmmmmmm........ :0)

I wish I could get a Les Baer in 40S&W because I'd give that some serious consideration as my USPSA Single Stack pistol. I don't know all that much about 1911s, but I know enough to know that Les Baer puts out a quality product. If I were in the market for a .45 for Single Stack, I'd be all over a Les Baer option.

Baer's are some of the tightest guns, after years and years of shooting, still tight. But you should get what you think is best for you. This is just my opinion. Thanks

My recommendation would be to cozy up to some folks who shoot 1911s and ask them what they're shooting and why. Then ask them if you can give their guns a run.

I've been shooting 1911s since 2006. I bought a Predator Tactical Iron Shrike and have fallen in love with the gun. If she could cook, I'd probably ask my wife if she'd be ok with me becoming a polygamist. The gun is tight, it's comfortable, has great checkering, excellent grip, and the magwell is highly unique and works like a champ.

Oh, and I bought one BEFORE I became a member of the team. www.predatortactical.com Give it a look.

I think that 1911 is much more reliable than a glock, I have one that I have been carrying since 1982, I have shoot uspsa with it carryed it on conoe trips down rivers in Alaska, back packing in both alaska and the rocky mountians. I have shoot game with it pratice till I could shoot 5.3 El Presidents back when I was 100 pounds lighter and 25 years younger.I have always shoot 200 grain lswc with a 190 power factor this gun started out as a series 70 that i have shoot and shoot. I have shoot grouse from the seat of a conoe in alaska to eat, shoot pissed off bagers that I have come acrosted while horse back riding in Idaho. The gun is on its second berrel and I still can make all my hits on a ipsc in the a Zone slow fire off hand. I have both M&P's and Glock's but they are much more ammo sensitive then the 1911. I know it will always go bang, it is much more reliable then any other gun I have.

More ammo sensitive than a 1911. That pretty much flies in the experience of pretty much everyone. I like both guns but 1911's generally are much more ammo sensitive than Glocks or other modern designs.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I can vouch for a Les Baer. I've had a least 4k rounds downrange on my premiere II without a hiccup. This is with factory ball loads, hollow points and home grown swc loads. Now, I clean my guns and I've never tried firing the les Baer after dunking it in mud, freezing it in a block of ice, or running over it with my car. So I guess I can't say for certain if it's as reliable as a glock. ;) Someone else can run that experiment with their own Baer.

Had a Glock 17 at one time,

Now have a Springfield Mil Spec.

The glock served well, but needed quite a few parts, during the five years I used it.

The Springfield hasn't required a single one, so far.

About the same amount of rounds through them both, 20K or so.

And the 1911 is far less picky about ammunition.

More accurate at distances past 10 yds, too.

I just started shooting a 1911. It is a bone stock Rock Island armory Tactical ll FS. I have put more than 1500 rounds down the tube and it has not had one FTF or FTE yet. I have fed it factory 230 stuff all the way to my reloads which include 200 gr RN Bayou Bullets, 200gr Berry's FP and 200 gr LSWC.

My two .45 Springfield pistols just keep running on 200 gr LSWC or lead or jacketed 230 ball or hollowpoints. My Dan Wesson CBOB doesn't like lead reloads, but runs jacketed ball and hollow points with monotony.