Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I WANT A 1911 AS RELIABLE AS GLOCK! WHICH BRAND?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found out the hard way that 1911's are very mag dependent and that if you get a good quality 1911 from any manufacturer and the mag malfunctions then the 1911 in question will malfunction. My Springfield Range Officer has run with no issues that were not induced by the mags since I received it. I bought some used 47D mags from a friend and found out why they malfed in his 1911... the springs were bad.... I replaced the springs and then found out he had beaten up the sides of the mags and that was causing them to not drop free. i spen several hours and time with a vice and a rubber mallet and knocked them back into shape but I know that over time they will go out of spec again because they were out of spec at one point. I bought three Wilson ETM mags and had Zero issues out of the mags since going to the Wilson ETM's

I have no complaints about my Springfield RO at all and the gun itself has functioned flawlessly.

this has been my experiance as well.... finding good quality mags that run with you your gun is always a factor.. my springfield armory guns HATE wilson ETM mags.. but love CM Power Mags.. my stri trojan, has ran 10mm trip cobra mags from day one..

1911 are not glocks, and glocks are not 1911's..

they both have strengths and weaknesses..

Edited by carlosa

After watching many glocks puke at the CMMG match, I will take my reliable 2011's I build.

Are ya just promoting your product or are you going to share what goes into making a realiable 1911?

Roger that Flex!

If built right and good mags, the 2011 platform is hard to beat for reliability. There are a few good smiths out there building them. I was only observing the glock failures I saw, but hey, maybe someone tried to do to much to them and like any gun over engineered they puked. I have a stock glock I love.

All these so called experts on the 1911, :angry2: crapp gets a might old after a while. I started IPSC in 1984 raising kids limited my gun money big time. I bought a used auto ordnance 1911 with 6 gi mags 250 buck from local loan south pawnshop in Wichita kansas. loaded a 200 LRN with 5.2 grains red dot and shot it for over a year it ran great. saved up some cash traded it for a Springfield armory GI shot it for a couple years till I could buy a nice used Colt series 70 gov model (mostly for the name, this was what the bigs boy ran :rolleyes: ) Even the old raddle trap I had in the corp in 75 ran good. but now everybody needs a 2000- 3000 dollars 1911. I like 1911 guns but I don't need to put down other gun companys to say it.

Edited by usmc1974

Even the old raddle trap I had in the corp in 75 ran good.

Back in 1775... My Marine Corps came alive... sorry, I couldn't resist. Seriously though if there was any way I could swing a 2011 from a good smith without depriving my babies I would. I think people get defensive about what is good natured ribbing since this is a message board and you can't tell when people are joking. Even if people are serious and saying brand X is worthless then there is no reason to get upset. People have opinions and sometimes people think if they state their opinion as an absolute it makes them appear like an expert instead of an a_-hole. They are usually wrong. I and slowly moving up the polymer food chain as I can. Once I have an incredible S_I then I will mock all those with plastic guns... its how the world works.

Even the old raddle trap I had in the corp in 75 ran good.

Back in 1775... My Marine Corps came alive... sorry, I couldn't resist. Seriously though if there was any way I could swing a 2011 from a good smith without depriving my babies I would. I think people get defensive about what is good natured ribbing since this is a message board and you can't tell when people are joking. Even if people are serious and saying brand X is worthless then there is no reason to get upset. People have opinions and sometimes people think if they state their opinion as an absolute it makes them appear like an expert instead of an a_-hole. They are usually wrong. I and slowly moving up the polymer food chain as I can. Once I have an incredible S_I then I will mock all those with plastic guns... its how the world works.

LOL yea well some times it feels like 1775. S_I makes really nice guns. I have a super nice slicked up Spartan 5" 9mm I got off, M. Carmoney here on BEF that is just awsome. I run it with Tripp cobra 10 round mags, I gave him I think 700 I use it for IPSC and IDPA. You are right about alot of things like, know it alls opinions. It just gets old like 1775 lol some times. thanks B

No matter what you choose, once in awhile you'll get one that doesn't work quite correctly. Flip side - no matter what you choose you can get one that runs without a flaw virtually forever.

This applies from a $250.00 pawn shop special to a 5 grand one from a well known gunsmith.

No matter what you choose, once in awhile you'll get one that doesn't work quite correctly. Flip side - no matter what you choose you can get one that runs without a flaw virtually forever.

This applies from a $250.00 pawn shop special to a 5 grand one from a well known gunsmith.

yep, Like I always say ALL guns fail, shooters have good days and bad days. It is just the nature of the beast.

That just ROCKS!!! I love it. I bet it doesn't have enough Import Points to be sold here in the U.S.... LOL

Cool, Is this real ? I think I would buy one. long as the price was right.

Photoshopped... I guess. I just found the pic in the "interwebs". :)

A handgun is a tool, which should you use?

answer some questions;

What is the purpose of the pistol?

If reliability is the only requirement, find one that hasn't been redesigned, one that has John Browning's original

tolerances for reliability, use factory ball ammo, use brand name magazines.

Competition?

Well, that's a whole 'nother can of worms,...what game are you going to play? Be prepared to tweak periodically, reload

your own ammo. Expect some issues from time to time, competition guns are like tires, there is one for virtually every

driving condition.

self defense?

Get a Glock, use quality ammo, and don't mess with it!

Any gun that works is worth it...the most expensive gun in the world that doesn't isn't worth anything.

Buy whatever gun you want and quality mags. Have it tuned to run...forget all the cosmetic stuff. Spend the cash saved on ammo and range time.

The guns that I shot a lot and did very well with looked like hell.

Any gun that works is worth it...the most expensive gun in the world that doesn't isn't worth anything.

Buy whatever gun you want and quality mags. Have it tuned to run...forget all the cosmetic stuff. Spend the cash saved on ammo and range time.

The guns that I shot a lot and did very well with looked like hell.

That is it, buy what you want. If you do not you will regret it later on. If you do not like what you bought you will not enjoy shooting it!

I use to own a Rolex Gmt II and I bought it because I had always wanted one since reading the old National Geographics in the 70s - was it ten times better than my Seiko ? Not at all but i really enjoyed seeing what the time was.

Too me 1911's are the same.