Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just got my first competition revolver!

GTOGuy06

I just bought myself a Model 625-8 JM and plan on shooting USPSA with it. So of course there are some things I need to sort out.

Moon clips: To start out, I figured I would buy the 100 from 4Wheelguns.

Moon Clips holder: I am looking at the 4 long post by North Mountain from 4Wheelguns.

Holster: This is the part that I am least decided on. I really don't want to spend more than $100 on a holster. So I am very open on to suggestions.

Please make any suggestions on gear or other things that I need to know about the revolver game.

Thanks

230gr Precision Delta FMJ or any 230gr lead bullet moly coated. Billy Bullets are good. Run Clays at 3.5 to 3.8 on the moly coated lead and 3.8 to 4 on the FMJ's. Both should make major easy and they burn clean. Get cylinder reamed and chamfered a kydex holster and you are ready to go.

Congrats. Might I suggest some trigger work? Pro shop trigger is nice, but not as nice as a custom one.

(PS- I have a Safariland holster for my 625, probably more than you want to spend but nice.)

Edited by GuildSF4

Congrats. Might I suggest some trigger work? Pro shop trigger is nice, but not as nice as a custom one.

(PS- I have a Safariland holster for my 625, probably more than you want to spend but nice.)

Which model number exactly? I ordered a 002 that was supposed to fit a 625 and it was not even close.

2 different moon clip holders work really well, North Mountain or James Austin server. Both work really well it comes down to if you want to go post to post or one spot to get your reloads. Both cost about the same. Check out James Austin Moonclip Server on you tube.

You made a good choice with the North Mountain Products. I have found his moonclip holder is the best on the market. I use mine for USPSA with 6 rd 45 ACP moonclips and for ICORE with 8 rd 38 Super moonclips. It holds both very securely. Other brands will not hold both sizes. Anything you buy from Bob at NMP will be first quality. A Blade tech kydex holster will work fine for USPSA.

I use the James Austin moonclip server and love it. (Get the plastic spaces to go between moonclips) Ready tactical makes nice Kydex holsters. You might want to look into a BMT mooner-best way to load and unload moonclips.

I've been using James Austin's moonclip server for about a year now, works good.

What plastic spacers are you talking about? I just have to stagger the moonclips on top of each other so they dont get snagged when pulling out.

A Blade Tech is fine, I had a DOH and it worked good. I cut the front of mine down halfway to allow the 5" barrel to clear quicker.

Or if you have a CR Speed you can change the lock, with one from their included kit that's a bit slimmer, and make a new nose piece extension out of thin metal . With a little effort it works good.

I use the James Austin moonclip server and love it. (Get the plastic spaces to go between moonclips) Ready tactical makes nice Kydex holsters. You might want to look into a BMT mooner-best way to load and unload moonclips.

I've been using James Austin's moonclip server for about a year now, works good.

What plastic spacers are you talking about? I just have to stagger the moonclips on top of each other so they dont get snagged when pulling out.

Yes, inquiring minds would like to know about these spacers as I have the moonclip server as well.

Edited by BlueOvalBandit

Bob @ North Mountain makes a version of his "post" style moon clip holder that has inserts between the belt loops and the posts. Moves the posts about 7/8" off the belt and makes it easier for us full figured types to see the clip. Solid as a rock. Sold my original version and got the extended. It's a better choice than I made with my first wife. :goof: A little pricey but quality usually is. I also use it for my USPSA 625 45 and Steel Challenge 627 38.

Ron

I haven't figured out how to get my moonclips to set on top of the previous one in the server. Mine all lay in edge to edge.

I haven't figured out how to get my moonclips to set on top of the previous one in the server. Mine all lay in edge to edge.

I believe that is why they went to the spacers. It is a thin piece of plastic fit on the server that will go between each moonclip and take away the need to overlap each one for a smoother effort. No 343 has been using his maybe he will chime in. later rdd

I chose the North Mountain holder, and am quite pleased with it, but I have seen some guys using a version with 6 or 8 posts that have a magnet on the top to hold the moons in place. I'm not sure of the brand or manufacturer. I would think the down side is having to reach across your body to get to some of the moons. A Blade-Tech holster will work just fine, although the Race-Master is getting great reviews, but is out of your price range.

More info about the spacers? Do they permanently affix to the server?

Link?

Varminter, the spacers slide onto the rail where the moonclips fit and slide to the end as each moonclip is pulled into service. As to a link, you may wish to message No343 to see how he got his. Or he might just chime in. Later rdd