Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

^^^^ What he just said. Two identical (theoretically) shotguns may perform the same with different chokes depending on bore size. I pretty much only take the IC out for spinners and steel over 30 yards. Carlsons are fine, and less expensive than the Brileys.

Edited by openclassterror

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^^ What he just said. Two identical (theoretically) shotguns may perform the same with different chokes depending on bore size. I pretty much only take the IC out for spinners and steel over 30 yards. Carlsons are fine, and less expensive than the Brileys.

ok thanks I will check out Carlsons also which other chokes should I consider to have with me?

Edited by Oskino

I carry Skeet, Improved Cylinder, Light Mod, Mod, Improved Mod, and Full. I'm also going to get a diffuser choke for clays. If I was trying to keep it cheap, I'd say IC, Light Mod, and Mod will get you through just about anything. The cheapest chokes I have found (and they work just fine) are from cdnninvestments.com, they're about $13 each for the Mobil Chokes, which is what you need for the Stoeger.

I have most everything from IC to x-full. IC, LM, Mod, IM, Full, and Turkey. I really only use IC and Mod, but after talking to Jesse, I will try the diffuser on point-blank clays. I have been known to use the Turkey choke for a spinner, if there are no other close targets. One double-tap on the bottom paddle and it is done!

I carry Skeet, Improved Cylinder, Light Mod, Mod, Improved Mod, and Full. I'm also going to get a diffuser choke for clays. If I was trying to keep it cheap, I'd say IC, Light Mod, and Mod will get you through just about anything. The cheapest chokes I have found (and they work just fine) are from cdnninvestments.com, they're about $13 each for the Mobil Chokes, which is what you need for the Stoeger.

I bought one of their spreader chokes and it locked up in my barrel twice. Not sure if anyone else has used these or has had issues with them.

Sent from my SGH-T859 using Tapatalk

I have most everything from IC to x-full. IC, LM, Mod, IM, Full, and Turkey. I really only use IC and Mod, but after talking to Jesse, I will try the diffuser on point-blank clays. I have been known to use the Turkey choke for a spinner, if there are no other close targets. One double-tap on the bottom paddle and it is done!

Thanks guys i will check that out. Tom thanks for all your help and all the research you have done with the Stoeger I know I have personally benefited!!

are these the correct ones and these are cheap in price

http://www.cdnnsports.com/ber-ben-12ga-5-ck-pkg-4-18mm.html#.U2GPlFeNM9s

Edited by Oskino

I bought one of their spreader chokes and it locked up in my barrel twice. Not sure if anyone else has used these or has had issues with them.

Define locked up?

Define locked up?

Finger tightened the choke, shot a couple of boxes through and it worked great. Tried to change the choke and couldnt get it out. Took applying oil, heat and a huge cheater bar to get it out. Like an idiot i tried it again but only took five shots through it and made sure to put lube and only finget tighten again. Same results.

Has anyone shot the Estate Super Sport #8 2 3/4 dram 1145 fps shot through their gun? I mistakenly bought a bunch after using the same brand in #7.5 3 dram 1200 fps. I'll shoot the #8's before the next match but I'm curious on what to expect.

Lot-by-lot deal on the 1145 estates. Some will run. If you get malfs, they will generally be FTE (hangs up in the ej port) or it will eject but abandon the next round on the carrier. Not enough recoil for the bolt to move far enough to the rear to engage the lifter dog. I got them running most of the time by removing the plastic spacer behind the recoil spring in the fore end, but it still won't run 100% on the light batches

Lot-by-lot deal on the 1145 estates. Some will run. If you get malfs, they will generally be FTE (hangs up in the ej port) or it will eject but abandon the next round on the carrier. Not enough recoil for the bolt to move far enough to the rear to engage the lifter dog. I got them running most of the time by removing the plastic spacer behind the recoil spring in the fore end, but it still won't run 100% on the light batches

Hey Tom, have you found any reason not to shorten the plastic piece behind the recoil spring?

I had the same question as Ryan had and also was wondering if anyone has tried the federal top gun shells or are they equal to the Wally World bulk pack

Finally got to shoot mine this morning. Shot perfectly with Win Universals (1 1/8oz @ 1200, 3dr), Federal pink shells (1 1/8 @ 1200, 3dr), Federal paper shells (1 1/8 @ 1200, 3dr), Rio target loads (1 1/8 @ 1150, 2.75dr), Estate (1 1/8 @ 1200, 3dr), and Estate hunting loads (1 1/4 @ 1330, 3.75dr). All functioned perfectly in the bone stock gun. Also shot 5 Remington low recoil slugs which did fine as well.

The gun does kick quite a bit compared to the 930 but reliablity is worth it.

OK... Today's stupid question. Is there any reason I cant simply remove the factory recoil pad and replace it with a limbsaver pad? I see a lot of guys are cutting down the stock, redrilling, and putting back the factory pad then adding the limbsaver to keep the LOP relatively the same.... any info is appreciated. Also any thoughts on the reducers?

Dimensionally a Limbsaver 10008 looks like it fits up nice to the factory stock, but you will have to grind some on the inside lip of the pad to fit the stock right.

Anyone know which pad to use if you are going to shorten the LOP?

I'd like to shorten my stock down and put a buttpad with a rounded top on to make it quicker to shoulder and less likely to snag on my shirt.

I'm thinking of either the Kick-eez "Rocker" or "Sporting Clays".

Looks like I could just cut down the stock, maybe drill the screw holes deeper, and then mount and grind the new pad. Not sure I want to try and take that on, though, I don't have a stationary belt sander.

Edited by Chris1522

My friend who is just getting started in 3 gun was asking my opinion on shotguns. Due to this thread I recommended the Stoeger which he is enroute to buy. Also recommended MOA who he has already contacted and set up to have the competition package done on it. Can't wait to shoot it and compare it to my Benelli.

I'm hoping Choate or ATI jumps on the bandwagon, offering a shorter LOP stock. I'd sure like to knock mine back an inch. Don't care about a better pad; this thing doesn't hurt me. But it catches on my shirt, too.

But I may just have to bite the bullet and have a 'smith cut it down and fit another pad. Why all these shotguns don't come with short stocks and spacer pads, I'll never understand.

My friend who is just getting started in 3 gun was asking my opinion on shotguns. Due to this thread I recommended the Stoeger which he is enroute to buy. Also recommended MOA who he has already contacted and set up to have the competition package done on it. Can't wait to shoot it and compare it to my Benelli.

That awesome man, I am loving mine!!!

Just to do my part for all the help I received here in this post I gave Taran Tacticle a call I heard they sells (Trigger Spring Kits) they sent me a reduced weight Hammer Spring, and a reduced weight Trigger spring. If a 7.5 trigger ain't your thing, and would like a 4 lb. one instead, this worked for me.( Lastly) I would like to say THANK YOU to everyone who helped me out with Parts they Manufacture, mods they've done themselves, and the things they've learned, and also answered many questions. to make this one cooooool shot gun

Is the m3500's shell latch the same length as the m3000? I ask because I also have a versamax and it is a pain to unload without cycling the rounds through the chamber. The laych on the versamax is 3 1/2" long if the m3500 is the same length I think they would be interchangable.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I got my M3000 from MOA Precision last week but it has been sitting around :(

No time to take it out yet and give her a run. I ended up getting the 26" with the +6 Nordic and the MOA package.

I did order the choke 5 pack from CDNN. I did not get a rifled choke.

They sent me a Benelli extended Cylinder and Improved Modified.

The other 3 chokes were aftermarket benelli chokes IC, M, and F

I also have the chokes that came with the Stoeger the steel IC,M and a lead turkey choke.

I'd like to thank Tom for all his advice and help. I am looking forward to having a reliable semi. When I get a chance I will post a review and maybe some photos.