Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

Here is stage 5. Shotgun went well, pistol started well. Then I realized I had a good time going and tried to speed up on the plate rack. And missed.....and missed some more. By the time I was done it was an average time at best. Oh well.

Edited by openclassterror

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate you both sharing your videos. I've never shot a major 3GN match. It looks like fun.

Tom, that is awesome news about the KickEzz pad for the Steoger. That is a super nice job you did finishing it to your gun.

Received my MOA Precision Stoeger work yesterday. Put the shotgun back together and all I can say is that Tom and crew is money well spent. MOA is the "go too" for the Stoeger work , period. The turn around time is above average and the work is hidden so well, that a untrained eye will not notice. My shotgun was the turkey model, since that was what I came across at a good deal. What a sleeper !! The loading port work is very smooth and the trigger work is great. I can see some great splits in the future.

MOA Precision is a class act in the shooting world.

Thanks, Tommy Roupe

THR Technologies/Roupe Grips

Shot the Stoeger for the first time in a 3gun match.

On the 2nd stage I got what I thought was doubling (firing 2 rounds with 1 press of the trigger). It jammed the first double.

Then did it once more in the stage. Left me wondering. Then 2 stages later it doubled again.

Anyone have this happen?

Bought the gun used but I know I have not modifed the trigger but did weld up the lifter.

Some thought that maybe I was not releasing the trigger but a little and the recoil was causing it to bump fire?

Any thoughts on how to test or what if anything could be wrong with gun?

If it is me is there anything I can do or change with the gun to prevent?

Thanks,

Mike

Shot the Stoeger for the first time in a 3gun match.

On the 2nd stage I got what I thought was doubling (firing 2 rounds with 1 press of the trigger). It jammed the first double.

Then did it once more in the stage. Left me wondering. Then 2 stages later it doubled again.

Anyone have this happen?

Bought the gun used but I know I have not modifed the trigger but did weld up the lifter.

Some thought that maybe I was not releasing the trigger but a little and the recoil was causing it to bump fire?

Any thoughts on how to test or what if anything could be wrong with gun?

If it is me is there anything I can do or change with the gun to prevent?

Thanks,

Mike

I had posted earlier in the thread that my BIL was having the same problems with his. Since he has gotten more trigger time in, it hasn't happened again lately. I'm thinking now that it's probably bump-firing from riding the reset.

Mike sorry to hear that your having that problem, I have not experienced this myself. Just curious are you holding the shotgun tight to your body and if not that could possibly lead to a bump fire.

RigPig/Mike; Pull the trigger out spray it down with some gun scrub. Lock the trigger back . Holding the trigger see if the disconnectors working properly.

If it can be confirmed that it is bump-firing and reset is the issue, you can file the two little tabs that the disconnector stops against and advance it slightly. When the hammer is cocked and safety on, the disconnector should JUST rub the back hammer hook if you push hammer back by hand. If the disconnector catches the hammer with the safety on, you took too much off the stop tabs. Only thing to do at that point is grind a tiny amount off the rear hammer hook. Obviously you can only go too far and correct it once or twice before both parts are scrap. The one in this picture has too much clearance, and would be prone to bump-firing. You can just see the tabs on the trigger at the bottom of the picture and where the disconnector rests on them

post-48876-0-08999200-1401117582_thumb.j

Reset is ok .

Here is one weird thing it was doing. Hammer cocked, bolt would move back and forth smoothly, pull the trigger, then trying to pull back bolt was very difficult, and the hammer had a lot of slop movement. You could tilt the gun and the hammer would move. If you raised the barrell the bolt would then be easier to pull back.

I put everything back together and this situation went away???? What could cause this? Anything I could have done in a wrong assembly?

Also noticed if you put hammer down, put safety back on that you could not pull bolt back enough to cock the hammer, safety off the bolt comes back to cock hammer.

Thanks for any help you all can offer.

Mike

You should NEVER be able to run the bolt all the way back from hammer down if the safety is on. If the hammer can move the trigger far enough to engage with the safety on, it can move the trigger far enough to fire with the safety on. Not sure about the slop situation. Are you saying the hammer was just kinda swinging free, like the hammer spring wasn't following it all the way up?

Yes, hammer could move freely simply by raising or lowering the barrel. If it was forward against the bolt it was difficult to pull back, but if I raised the gun and allowed the hammer to swing to the rear the bolt could be pulled back. This condition is gone upon re-assy. Do you think there is any relation to my problem? Example, when fired the bolt rebounded against the hammer due to this jammed hammer?

I originally noticed the bolt issue during 3 gun practice. I usually store the gun with hammer down so I would dry fire and then try to pull bolt open enough to store a chamber flag. I found the bolt difficult to open to do this. Then the gun had this bump fire condition??

Glad to hear the safety issue is normal as I had not noticed this before.

Now I am wondering if I re-assemblied the trigger group wrong somehow? Do you have to install it with hammer cocked or decocked or does it matter? Is there anything else I could do to cause the problem?

Thanks for the ideas!

Mike

It is much easier to assemble with the hammer cocked if you push the carrier release button in. If the hammer is in the fired position the trip lever is up, which makes it possible to hook the tip of the lever on the wrong side of the carrier release bar if you don't depress it. You can't fully install the trigger group in that condition, but you CAN fight it for a few minutes until you figure out what it hung up on.......Or so I've heard :blush:. I am not aware of any assembly method leading to the problem you describe, but I will spend a few minutes in the shop tomorrow trying to duplicate the issue. I think we have 9 of them in the shop at the moment, so I can put my hands on one pretty much anywhere I am standing!

While running some drills today with the stoeger, I had 2 separate double feeds . I was like wtf when it first happened and I had to rack the bolt twice to get the trigger to reset. Has anybody else had that happen?

Hmm- That is a new one on me. The two are probably related, as the hammer spring plunger is what trips the shell release lever. Unmodified factory trigger/ hammer system? How many rounds through the gun? Did it function normally after or did you stop shooting it?

While running some drills today with the stoeger, I had 2 separate double feeds . I was like wtf when it first happened and I had to rack the bolt twice to get the trigger to reset. Has anybody else had that happen?

Double feeds??? Two shells don't fit onto one lifter. What happened and what ammo are you shooting?

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Are there any good pictures of the throating required to address the 'benelli jam'? I'm having occasional jams with the M3000 where the shell catches on the relief cut for the extractor and fails to feed. Winchester cheapies seem to be the biggest offender. Worst case is a slight cut into the plastic of the hull. Will pick up a couple other manufacturers shells and see if the problem follows the shells or follows the gun.

Are there any good pictures of the throating required to address the 'benelli jam'? I'm having occasional jams with the M3000 where the shell catches on the relief cut for the extractor and fails to feed. Winchester cheapies seem to be the biggest offender. Worst case is a slight cut into the plastic of the hull. Will pick up a couple other manufacturers shells and see if the problem follows the shells or follows the gun.

Break the edges and smooth things out.

I have it on video but not a close up of what happened I will post a link later today so you see the malfunction and it was Wally World Winchester. The stoeger did it twice on two seperate runs after the second time loaded the tube to 10 and just shot at the berm with no malfunctions after that it was smooth sailing. The hammer has been modified by rounding off the 90 where it pivots on besides that just graphite in the tube. Here is the link. I think the first malfunction is at 5:00 then again at 6:00 FYI the crazy guy with me is 60 and kicks some a$$ . Also if the guys that watch the video can you leave a positive comment for my buddy Chris he would really appreciate that . Jesse that means you I mention your name around him all the time and he knows who you are. If he sees a comment from you he would think he's TOP SHOT!!!!

Edited by Oskino

I have it on video but not a close up of what happened I will post a link later today so you see the malfunction and it was Wally World Winchester. The stoeger did it twice on two seperate runs after the second time loaded the tube to 10 and just shot at the berm with no malfunctions after that it was smooth sailing. The hammer has been modified by rounding off the 90 where it pivots on besides that just graphite in the tube. Here is the link. I think the first malfunction is at 5:00 then again at 6:00 FYI the crazy guy with me is 60 and kicks some a$$ . Also if the guys that watch the video can you leave a positive comment for my buddy Chris he would really appreciate that . Jesse that means you I mention your name around him all the time and he knows who you are. If he sees a comment from you he would think he's TOP SHOT!!!!

Wally World Winchester is the worst shotgun ammo I've found. Usually 1/25 fails to fire in my M2. I quit buying it. Wally federal is the only cheap ammo I buy and it still fails roughly 1/100 in my gun.

It looked like an empty failed to extract or you pulled the trigger and nothing fired?

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

In both cases I heard the hammer fall and the shell release onto the lifter. In the first case, you had a failure to eject ( common with Winchester junk ammo). Next shell in did not fire. Typically from failure to fully rotate into lockup (again, often from oversize base on Winchester ammo. Second malfunction- previous shell ejected, hammer fell on live round. Again, I HEARD THE SHELL RELEASE. So, 90+% odds in both malfunctions, the bolt head was not fully into battery. Make sure your bolt cam pin is greased or lubed to eliminate that as a possibility. Otherwise, I would assume cause to be ammunition. If it ever happens again, note the position of the bolt head BEFORE EJECTING FAILURE! (extractor should be at about 2:00) If extractor is 3-4:00, bolt head is not fully closed and hammer could not reach the primer. Indicates dirty chamber or oversize shells.

ok, thanks guys for your feedback, so no more winchester than. Also glad to know that my Stoeger shoots slugs straight, we zeroed at 50 and I was hitting a 8 paper plate so I am happy with that.