Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't mind a little bit of overhang get the Limbsaver brand pad part number 10001.

This is mine with about one inch cut off the stock.

20151110_095203_zpsrdyfizlo.jpg

This is a $600 shotgun, no one at the range is even going to bother looking at it when there is 2k+ Benalli's laying next to it so I really don't care how it looks just as long as it performs as good as the Benalli's... Witch it does...

The Kick-eez #KZ-111 pad has the correct screw spacing for a cut-down Stoeger stock. There is basically no extra material on the toe end of the pad, all grinding is on the sides and the top. Sorbothane is tricky to grind. Requires basically a brand new disc on the disc sander to keep from smearing or chunking. Hand blending is done with abrasive strips and WD40 as a wetting agent. We tried the Limbsaver for P3K, and it showed promise at first. They do soak up a lot of recoil, and let the gun move enough for the inertia spring to store energy even if you use a tighter hold. BUT, durability isn't good (they tear easily), they don't make one with the correct screw spacing (so filler blocks are necessary), and they never look good if you grind them. Eventually we went back to the factory pad with kick-eez offered as an upgrade. I really wanted to Limbsaver to work. The 10001 is the right shape(ish) for an uncut stock. But there just isn't a way to make it look professional on a cut down stock.

The rocker is a cool shape and it won't get hung up when you mount the shotgun. The only reason we went with the 111 is for cost-effectiveness and ease of installation. The rocker needs blocks fit into the stock because the screw holes don't line up. This is beyond the abilities of the majority of home gunsmiths.

Both my M3000's wear a Kick Ezz and they are worth every penny IMO. I have had excellent result using a belt sander(pedistal type not hand held). Works best when you lay it on the table and work it, but you cannot see the line you scribed. However, laying it down isn't always possible when doing the final blending. You have to be cautious, one wrong move and that thing will grab and rip it out of your hands. I used the 111 pad that Tom sells on my 2nd gun and even though I shortend the SG 1.25 ", grinding was minimal compared to a non- pre-ground pad. Heck, on my first Kick Ezz fitment, I went to the band saw before I began grinding. :surprise: The 111 pad Tom carries is likely the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Roughed up the inside and epoxied in a couple of oak blocks.

I have also used a piece of 0.125" aluminum plate cut and fit just flush and screwed

it to what's left of the original mounting holes. The drill and tap the plate for the new pad.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

The aluminum idea sounds good. I snow goose hunt with my m3k since there is no mag restriction for them in NE so my gun gets pretty wet. I had thought about oak blocks or maybe HDPE blocks but i like the aluminum idea.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Considering the fact that a weakened (worn-out) lifter spring can cause loading malfunctions on guns with this type of lifter setup ( Benelli, Versamax, Stoeger, Franchi, etc), I do not ever deliberately trim this spring, even at customer request. The minimal gain in loading effort is more than offset by potential reliability issues. I have seen guns run with the spring cut, but I have seen many more need a replacement spring.

Tom You say using your safety that you cut one coil off the safety spring. Question wont the safety bounce around more do to lack of pressure, I'd like to try this myself mine is stiff, but doable.