Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to see how loading quads goes with the stock port before I take a dremel to the first brand new shotgun I've ever bought lol

I thought the same thing. I went through a shotgun course with it and it was great, but we weren't running and gunning.

I shot my first 3gun a couple weeks ago and decided to open it up and WOW what a difference it makes. I really struggled with quads so I used load 2 during the 3 gun match so I knew I wasn't fumbling shells throughout the match. It took me about an hour and a half to two hours and am kicking myself for not doing it before. If you are at all mechanically inclined I would say go for it. You will not be able to load nearly as good with the stock opening, and mine is a new model M3K with the front of the loading port that dips down a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

After reading P.Kelley's article and reading a lot of post I decided to pick up a m3000 last week for my first competition shotgun. It was a compact stock version 26".

Gave it a cleaning and and took it out to the range with no mods.

Ran buck, bulk pack 1 1/8oz 3 dram fed and win. A few reduced recoil 1oz slugs and even some Win supertarget 2 3/4 dram, 1oz 7 1/2s at 1180fps for function before I started chopping up the receiver.

Ran everything without a hiccup, extraction very positive even with the mousefart supertarget loads.

Slugs hit center of a 10"x10" plate at 50 yards.

Very impressed to say the least.

My mag tube was free of any major rough spots, so maybe Stoeger started machining them smoother like J.Tischauser suggested.

Since the range trip I've read this entire thread for the wealth of information.

I polished the mag tube, ordered and installed a full size stock. Ordered a +6 nordic and began conservatively opening up the loading port last night.

Gonna place an order with MOA soon for a recoil pad, charging handle & follower.

Then I'll need to research and grab caddies for load 2 (or maybe quads)

Thanks everyone who posted helpful information, and Mr.Kelley for answering my questions before purchasing.

This is going to be fun!

Think I got most of the main cuts done on my port.

Think I'll set the Dremel and big Bastard file aside for a bit, and break out the sandpaper.

Not going real aggressive since I'm probably going to focus on twin loading for now.

KIMG0590_zpssqrvofsb.jpg

KIMG0598_zpsophyr1bo.jpg

Going to polish it up and funnel the trigger guard and practice loading for a while before I decide if I need to go deeper.

Got my order in tonite from MOA for 2 sided safety, follower, bolt handle and recoil pad.

After practicing some reloads and seeing where I was getting hung up, I decided to go bigger.

So dropped the cut down lower, extended the port another 1/8" or so forward until I could see the start of the tube's threads and deepened/lengthened the relief cut in front of the port.

Beveled, radiused everything then polished it up with 1500 grit sandpaper wrapped around the Dremel. Came out surprisingly nice for freehand Dremel and file work.

I'm not even gonna bother hand polishing it.

Next up, cutting a relief/shell guide in the trigger guard

KIMG0602_zpslcafdu27.jpg

KIMG0606_zpsngyb40ko.jpg

Quick question on ghost loading.

With a ghost loaded shell on the lifter, after the first shot, is another round ejected onto the lifter? In other words, if I ghost load, will I be able to load more without running the gun dry (minus last round in chamber)?

Edited by mikeor70

Well, I finally jumped on the M3K bandwagon. I opened up the loading port a little further, undercut the front of the trigger guard, added a Nordic +9 extension and follower, swapped out the front sight for a Hi-Viz, added a Cheek-EZ pad, and added a TTI safety and lifter. Still breaking it in, had an occasional FTF with Walmart bulk-pack Federal #8's, but no catastrophic malfunctions.

IMG_3031_zpse2mdbbyr.jpg

IMG_3034_zps56odqmim.jpg

IMG_3035_zpsupbibpe3.jpg

c8d3b6af-8a2a-4543-825d-cb4bdf58ba5a_zps

Edited by MedicAJ

Well, I finally jumped on the M3K bandwagon. I opened up the loading port a little further, undercut the front of the trigger guard, added a Nordic +9 extension and follower, swapped out the front sight for a Hi-Viz, added a Cheek-EZ pad, and added a TTI safety and lifter. Still breaking it in, had an occasional FTF with Walmart bulk-pack Federal #8's, but no catastrophic malfunctions.

Got any pics of the +9 extension? I just got my +7 in the mail today but haven't installed it yet.

I finally have my M3k on its way. Should be arriving on Thursday. before I have any work done to it I want to run it just as is. Who has a +5 tube in stock. that I can get shipped over night for a match this weekend?

Thank you for any help.

Edited by 1911vm