Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cage Brass Picker-Upper...as seen in the Dillion Blue Press

I saw this gizmo in the Blue Press and other online stores. Anyone use one of these and do they work? I mean, how many things can you carry out to the range? But then again, it beats getting on your knees scrounging around for spent cartridges I suppose. No hamster jokes on this product, it may actually work pretty good - if it does, I'd buy one.

post-44288-0-42582900-1363390112_thumb.j

Dog

Got one and it works well. It is well suited for sandy conditions because the sand will fall out and leave the brass behind. It has problems with rocky and tall grassy areas. Rocks stay in with the brass and tall grass can make it hard for the brass to enter the basket.

WEll, if you do like the guys I see at IPSC and USPSA shoot meets you lug along a giant 4 wheel cart or a two wheeler hand cart tricked out to hold your cooler,

ammo, chair, guns, umbrella, and endless other duffery.

I've seen those used at the local range. I do not have one.

They seem to work okay, they pick up typical hand gun ammo okay anyway but doubt they work great on brass below 380 and 380 might slip out. But, having 380

slip out would be considered a bonus by a 45 ACP bigot ,er fan, like me.

Can't comment on how well they work on rifle brass like 5.56 NATO for example. I suspect 5.56 sized brass might pick up alright but anything larger might not. Dunno really.

Downside I suppose is the things are not selective in the crap they scoop up. If some yo-yo (my inner bigot is showing) is shooting steel case ammo nearby that

doo-hicky will snag that crap up too.

I wasn't overly impressed but the guys that had them seemed to like them. I suspect, and this is just my own theory now, that they feel good about it because

it cost so much. I could be wrong, I did not proffer this idea to anyone I saw with such a device.

I myself use a thing you often see at the local drug store. A pickup tong doohicky sold to people who either dont' like to bend over or maybe are stuck in a

wheelchair.

They come in various designs some with rubber cups others with what is more or less big giant plastic tweezers. Of the onnes I've used they all work good enough

for picking up brass when I dont' feel like stooping. Up side, I can be selective. Down side it is slower than that sucks everything up roller (ASSUMING DENSITY

of ammo your rolling tht thing over, variable unable to compute. )

WEll, if you do like the guys I see at IPSC and USPSA shoot meets you lug along a giant 4 wheel cart or a two wheeler hand cart tricked out to hold your cooler,

They seem to work okay, they pick up typical hand gun ammo okay anyway but doubt they work great on brass below 380 and 380 might slip out. But, having 380

slip out would be considered a bonus by a 45 ACP bigot ,er fan, like me.

Can't comment on how well they work on rifle brass like 5.56 NATO for example. I suspect 5.56 sized brass might pick up alright but anything larger might not. Dunno really.

Downside I suppose is the things are not selective in the crap they scoop up. If some yo-yo (my inner bigot is showing) is shooting steel case ammo nearby that

doo-hicky will snag that crap up too.

I wasn't overly impressed but the guys that had them seemed to like them. I suspect, and this is just my own theory now, that they feel good about it because

it cost so much. I could be wrong, I did not proffer this idea to anyone I saw with such a device.

I myself use a thing you often see at the local drug store. A pickup tong doohicky sold to people who either dont' like to bend over or maybe are stuck in a

wheelchair.

They come in various designs some with rubber cups others with what is more or less big giant plastic tweezers. Of the onnes I've used they all work good enough

for picking up brass when I dont' feel like stooping. Up side, I can be selective. Down side it is slower than that sucks everything up roller (ASSUMING DENSITY

of ammo your rolling tht thing over, variable unable to compute. )

You're on a roll tonight, keep'em coming ... :cheers:

I see them all the time. They do seem to work great. It's always that guy that is rushing out to pick up brass before it cools while everybody else pastes targets. So. get the brass picker upper and don't be "that guy". hmmm. maybe I should start a new topic lol

LOL. I wish the guys at the local meets I;'ve been to at a range I won't mention, would go pick up more brass. Too many just leave it sit .

Matches I used to attend out on the west side of Houston back in the mid 90's .. it was sort of a informal match rule. Tape and help pick up brass. If your not taping, help pick up brass and

if it belongs to person x and they have to have that brass hand it to em, else we would dump it in a bucket and people would get what they thought they shot at end of that stage/match.

Current bunch at range I've shot at dont' do that.

I hate seeing brass on the grass.

Snag it quick , before it some clod afoot

grinds it into the graven earth

to let it rot unto its green

I want to vent my bloody spleen.

LOL. I wish the guys at the local meets I;'ve been to at a range I won't mention, would go pick up more brass. Too many just leave it sit .

Matches I used to attend out on the west side of Houston back in the mid 90's .. it was sort of a informal match rule. Tape and help pick up brass. If your not taping, help pick up brass and

if it belongs to person x and they have to have that brass hand it to em, else we would dump it in a bucket and people would get what they thought they shot at end of that stage/match.

Current bunch at range I've shot at dont' do that.

I hate seeing brass on the grass.

Snag it quick , before it some clod afoot

grinds it into the graven earth

to let it rot unto its green

I want to vent my bloody spleen.

Hold on to that day job Buzi. :D

One of the new (ok, relocated) clubs here in SE Michigan has bays that are mostly sand. They bought a bunch (like 5-6) of these pecan nut pickers. They worked great in the sand so I thought I'd get one. We don't have sand in our bays but mostly hardpack. They work pretty well and you don't have to bend over to get your brass.

As stated, once you get into rocks or dense grass, now that's another story....

BC

Edited by BillChunn

Ever see folks vacuuming carpet and have trouble picking up a bit of paper or a stuck down thread? They'll bend over, pick it up and reposition it, and then run the vacuum over it again.

I thought we shooters were an intelligent bunch, but ive seen folks with the nut rollers/hamster wheels do the same thing with a stubborn case - roll over it this way, then that way, then poke the cage on top, then finally bend over, turn the case just so, and roll over it again.

And yes, I've done it too. :cheers: