Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your favorite 40 caliber load (major)

Zerwas

Open

SJC Converted G35

Work in progress.

Developing TiteGroup and Longshot loads based

on Rainiers 135gr FP to start with. Stayed tuned.

Jim M

Jim,

If you want a resonable amount of gas to work the comp, you may want to go to a slower powder than TG. Dunno about LS. I have had good results with both N-340 and Silhouette. N-350 left some unburnt powder. I used ~8.5 gr of N-340 and about 9.2 gr of Sil for major open loads with Rainier 135's in a Tribrid II and a EGW-Comped Kart barrel.

Later,

Chuck

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I now have my New practice, and club match load. took alot of testing, and alot of components, but I believe this is perfect.

SV sight tracker, schuemann AET barrel 5"

180 Grain master blaster Moly, Soon to be precisions

4.3 grains Solo 1000

Fed SP primers

Mixed brass

1.175 oal.

This load is as light as VVN320, but ALOT less smokey, cheaper, and easier to find. The only issue it has at all, is if it is increased to 4.5 - 4.7 Then there is a little bit of primer flow. I am anxious to see how it does when it gets hot out.

This load chrono's very consistant with only about 10-12 SD With 4.3 I am Right at 165 PF. I doubt I will use this as a Match load, since it gets a little spooky when you get over 170 pf. I will probably go back to zero, or berry Bullets, and VVN 320, or Tightgroup.

• 3 weeks later...

Used to be:

Home built Para Open gun

155gr Hornady XTP

7.3gr Winchester Super Field

Win or Fed Small pistol primer

178 PF, very accurate out of Centaur unramped(!?) 6" barrel and old EGW comp

Substituted 7.0 WAP when it was available, same PF, same accuracy

Currently have some WSF that I haven't tried yet, and 4+ lbs of WAP left. My friend Ray says Ramshot Silhouette is equivalent of WAP though haven't tried that either, yet.

Currently loading:

Dawson 5" Edge

200gr lead truncated cone flatpoint (Bull X)

5.0gr SR7625

Fed Small pistol primer

Have always loaded long - 1.18 (XTP load), 1.20 (200 gr Edge load), only became a problem when I tried 155gr lead RNWC that were sized on the larger end of supposedly .401...more like .402.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

180gr BBI or Bear Creek

4.7gr SOLO 1000

OAL 1.125

Shoots soft in my TS, and is pretty clean. Very little lead, or moly residue at all. I just love this load.

I'm shooting something similar.

170gr Precision Moly

5.0gr SOLO 1K

OAL 1.185

Six inch Schuemann Barrel.

I haven't chrono'd yet but I think that it will make PF with a point or two to spare.

Very accurate and not a lot of smoke.

• 2 weeks later...

hmm tightgroup seems to be a very popular powder. i've never used it.

i run a 180 jhp mg pushed by win srp and i think about 5.7gr of winchester super field.

very soft shooting.

lynn

Lynn VV & Titegroup is very popular. Titegroup is more economical by far.

Brazo's built my EDGE and this is their data they gave me and I just made 181.2 PF at the Indiana State Championships.

I chose Titegroup for Economics.

For optimal performance, following are load recommendations for your Edge:

OAL - Length of the cartridge should be 1.22 inches

Powder - 4.8 grains Hodgdon Tite Group - 5.0 grains of Vihta Vuori N320 or

Primers - Winchester small rifle primers or small pistol primers

Brass - Remington (40 S&W)

Bullets - 180 grain Zero JHP (40 S&W)or Montana Gold (I used MG/JHP)

These loads should make a 168 to 170 power factor. However, when determining the load that will work best for your gun, begin by using about 10% less than the specified amount of powder. Check for pressure and check for velocity using a chronograph. Work your way up until the load meets the desired power factor without showing pressure signs.

Brazos Custom Gunworks

Ingi Londrigan

I searched and didn't find much on WST so here goes:

My favorite 185gr Precision with 4.8gr WST set at 1.185 about 172pf 5" Edge. FSP, WSP, or CCI SP

For jacketed bullets. 180gr Zero JHP with 5.1gr of WST set .1.85 172pf 5" Edge. FSP, WSP, or CCI SP

WST is clean and temp sensative don't put it on a hot dash and cook it, you will minor out. TiteGroup is reverse temp sensative, dirty, and burns extra hot.

Para 1640 limited

Precision 180 gr tc

5.1 gr U. Clays

oal 1.180

WSP

misc brass

pf 175 give or take

I am being told Clays is not a good powder for the 40 is this true? Is it just not good for the Glock 35?

Thanks

Chris

Para 1640 limited

Precision 180 gr tc

5.1 gr U. Clays

oal 1.180

WSP

misc brass

pf 175 give or take

I am being told Clays is not a good powder for the 40 is this true? Is it just not good for the Glock 35?

Thanks

Chris

I can't speak from expierence because I have not blown up a gun with it and I don't want to. There are enough independent reports on it that I'm not taking the chance. Clays is awesome in 45. My smith shot clays in his 40 limited and told me not to try it, when I asked he told me it shot soft with 200gr but he kept blowing the tops off brass and the cases would split and that was loaded out to 1.200 and he ran a 9# recoil spring. If you do use it be sure to carry a pair of right angle needle nose pliers in your pocket so you can get the cases out and finish the stage those DNF's hurt.

Try the 180's or 185 precisions with some WST or N320 and you will forget all about Clays. Probably about 4.5 of WST in a glock and maybe 4.3 of N320 for a start. I run 4.8 and 4.5 but out at 1.185. I prefer the WST to N320 its just a touch softer. Use good brass with these powders when loaded short.

Edited by CocoBolo

• 3 weeks later...

Para 1640 limited

Precision 180 gr tc

5.1 gr U. Clays

oal 1.180

WSP

misc brass

pf 175 give or take

Thanks

Chris

The recipe above, I believe, is calling out for UNIVERSAL Clays.... that's not the same powder as 'Clays'. Hodgdon offers Universal Clays, International Clays, and Clays. They're three totally different powders. I've used Universal Clays in .40, and it worked, but I didn't care for the feel of it.

I usually use Titegroup, but mostly because of it's economy. My major .40 load is 4.35 gr Titegroup under a 185gr Precision, 1.190", WSP primer. I've not noticed it to be reverse temperature sensitive, as some have noted, but I hibernate when the temp goes much below 60 degrees. I do agree that it burns a little dirty, and if you shoot indoors, you might find it smokes too much. But it's not so dirty that it affects function.

• 2 weeks later...

I searched and didn't find much on WST so here goes:

My favorite 185gr Precision with 4.8gr WST set at 1.185 about 172pf 5" Edge. FSP, WSP, or CCI SP

For jacketed bullets. 180gr Zero JHP with 5.1gr of WST set .1.85 172pf 5" Edge. FSP, WSP, or CCI SP

WST is clean and temp sensative don't put it on a hot dash and cook it, you will minor out. TiteGroup is reverse temp sensative, dirty, and burns extra hot.

Thanks for posting this. I'm going to be working up loads for a new Caspian soon and I am a fan of WST.

I'm going to give these loads a try.

Edited by Shadowrider

175 gr swc from S&S Casting over 5.0 gr of WST works for us,1.185 oal, mixed brass and any small rifle or small pistol primer.

WST is temp sensitive (the hotter the tempeture outside the slower the bullet travels) so make sure you crono with your load at temps above 80 degrees so you know your fps. 80 or lower is pretty consistant but 80 on up it starts running slower.

WST is clean burning, best for no smoke with lead and cost is low.

S&S cast bullets are about $70.00 a thousand for 175swc's and he has 140gr 180gr and 220gr also...great cast bullets.

Edited by 2 para's

• 2 weeks later...

*QUOTE*

i would stay away from major clays loads in a glock.

even at 1.200 length, pressure was up there.

In a new G27 (better supported barrel) I've shot 4.0 Clays/MG 180CMJ OAL 1.125 it was a soft load w/no indication of pressure. Also 4.9 N320 and the all time blaster 5.0 TG all a OAL 1.125. Primer corners still rounded and cases look OK.

At what point will I get into trouble w/Clays?