Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your favorite 40 caliber load (major)

Zerwas

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank god some one else uses super field I was feeling kind of out dated

No reason to feel out dated. I used WSF and WST with good results. I moved to N320 and it burns cleaner than the Winchester powders. Not to mention, if you use a JHP or a CMJ bullet then you can use a little less powder to get the same velocity.

Current Load:

4.9 g N320

180g MG CMJ

WSR primers

1.200" oal

Mixed Brass

I've only tried about 4 loads, with Titegroup and WST, and 175 and 200 gr lead bullets as the variables.

The one I like best is:

175 grain lead SWC

4.6gr WST

1.175" OAL

WSP primers

0.419" crimp

mixed brass

Makes 169 PF in my 6" STI (972 FPS)

It's very cheap (less than $50/k)

DogmaDog

• 1 year later...
P16 Limited. 180 gr. Zero JHP. 4.7 grs. of Tight Group seated to 1.180

G35 180 gr. Zero JHP 4.5 Tight Group seated to 1.125

Federal small rifle primers in both. Lee Factory Crimp Die to finish them off.

TXAG

Why do you seat the Para loads to 1.180?

Seems a little long.

Edited by 45gunner

Custom SV with Nowlin barrel , 5 in standard dust cover, tungsten guide rod . 4.2 grs Clays with 200 FMJ Zero bullets. Very clean and soft recoil . WSP primers. OVL 1.25. 12 lb recoil spring. For practice loads I use 3.6 grs. Clays with 210 round nose lead bullets. (Caution)This works in my gun . Work your loads carefully.

Edited by Squishy

Nothing at all wrong with WSF...or other powders in the same burn rate class, if you want major. I compared WSF, 540, and Universal. Ultimately, I settled on Universal. About the same data as the previous post on Universal, except that I use 165 gr. Rainier FP bullets exclusively.

Noticed that a couple folks running similar N320 loads are using small rifle primers. Are you guys really seeing flattening with the wsp primers? I thought it was detrimental to run wsr as the harder cup doesn't seal and you get erosion.

I run:

180gr MG JHP

5.1gr N320

WSP

Federal brass

1.200 OAL

5" Schuemann Ultimatch barrel

168-170pf

If something is to be gained running wsr, let me know.

Noticed that a couple folks running similar N320 loads are using small rifle primers. Are you guys really seeing flattening with the wsp primers? I thought it was detrimental to run wsr as the harder cup doesn't seal and you get erosion.

I run:

180gr MG JHP

5.1gr N320

WSP

Federal brass

1.200 OAL

5" Schuemann Ultimatch barrel

168-170pf

If something is to be gained running wsr, let me know.

+1, I just bought 1000 WSR. I use Universal for my open loads and wanted to see if I get a smaller fps spread.

Flyin40

I think you see a lot of people using WSR primers because they can buy a lot of one type instead of using both WSP and WSR for different loads. I know that I use WSR because I can just buy one type for loading .223, 38super and .40. Erosion is something I have not run into yet.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(PistolPete @ Jan 14 2006, 09:58 PM)

SV Limited gun. .40 S&W Schueman AET barrel. 5" long dustcover etc.

5.4 grains N320

1.20 O.A.L.

Montana Gold 180 grain JHP.

Sweet load!!!

What PF are you getting wih this?

I am getting around a 174 PF. It's a great shooting round and I've been using it for a while now. I wonder if I should lower the charge a little?

My Bad, I thought you were using 200 grains. My load is quite similar for 180s MG, 5.3 Grains VV 320 173- 174 PF.

QUOTE(PistolPete @ Jan 14 2006, 09:58 PM)

SV Limited gun. .40 S&W Schueman AET barrel. 5" long dustcover etc.

5.4 grains N320

1.20 O.A.L.

Montana Gold 180 grain JHP.

Sweet load!!!

What PF are you getting wih this?

I am getting around a 174 PF. It's a great shooting round and I've been using it for a while now. I wonder if I should lower the charge a little?

Agree, it is sweet load. I was comtemplating about reducing mine but it works, so I am not going to mess with mine.

Edited by bulm540

Ok guys, somebody give me a clue to this one:

- 40 S&W

- MG 180 gr

- V V N-320 4.5 grains

- P16-40 with 5 inch KKM bull barrell

This load made a MINOR last year at Area 6 with a 150.6 pf. :blink:

So the rest of the year I use it for practice ammo and shoot Remington 180 gr factory loads for matches which make major easily.

This year, I'm shooting Brazos SC Limited and I can barely tell the difference between the Remington factory stuff and my reloads. I havent chronoed it yet but from what I read here it sould make major, which will make me happy since I really like this load. Does the KKM V. the STI barrell really make that much difference? Should I just get with my relaoder and start all over from scratch?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Ok guys, somebody give me a clue to this one:

- 40 S&W

- MG 180 gr

- V V N-320 4.5 grains

- P16-40 with 5 inch KKM bull barrell

This load made a MINOR last year at Area 6 with a 150.6 pf. :blink:

So the rest of the year I use it for practice ammo and shoot Remington 180 gr factory loads for matches which make major easily.

This year, I'm shooting Brazos SC Limited and I can barely tell the difference between the Remington factory stuff and my reloads. I havent chronoed it yet but from what I read here it sould make major, which will make me happy since I really like this load. Does the KKM V. the STI barrell really make that much difference? Should I just get with my relaoder and start all over from scratch?

Thanks in advance for the info.

What's your OAL?