Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mobile 1Grease - surprised by performance should I worry?

mumzer

Gang...In a pinch at a remote range I was forced to improvise with a tube of mobile one heavy synthetic shockproof grease on an Ar. Performance, cleanup and reliability were stellar. In fact, better than any of the so called specialty lubes marketed to gun owners. I suppose it's not surprising given that the stuff is nsn'd for aerospace use in shit like aircraft wheel bearings but I was a little surprised.

I have been running it for the about 5k rounds in a sig 1911 and am stunned by the results. I did up spring the gun slightly to address the drag of the more viscous lube, but never had a stoppage. All bearing surfaces look new. Is this the lube, the sig finish or both?

Any one else played around with this stuff?

I've always said that there are better lubes and grease out there then what is being sold to gun owners. Just look at the money involved in cars or jets. They have many reasons to design better lubes while firearms manufacturers dont. The typical gun owner goes out and shoots maybe a few hundred rounds per lubing session. Just one lap around a track or takeoff landing in a jet subjects the parts to more use then an average gun will see in a year maybe its lifetime.

I've always said that there are better lubes and grease out there then what is being sold to gun owners. Just look at the money involved in cars or jets. They have many reasons to design better lubes while firearms manufacturers dont. The typical gun owner goes out and shoots maybe a few hundred rounds per lubing session. Just one lap around a track or takeoff landing in a jet subjects the parts to more use then an average gun will see in a year maybe its lifetime.

There is no way anything I shoot semi auto approaches the temps in a disc brake wheel bearing. I guess my only remaining concern is about particle entrapment and abrasion. Clearly the aerospace world spends more money on engineering lubricants. I'm inclined to keep using the stuff.

For the life of me I don't get "gun lubes" guns are just another piece of mechanical gear with moving parts.

Not particularly high temp, don't operate in high shear conditions.

Just lube them with something and get back to shooting things!

Edited by P.E. Kelley

Just lubed my 1911 again with my mad scientist mix- 50-50 Mobil One 20w-50 race oil and Mobil One Synthetic Transmission fluid. I hear the high dollar oil guys say a lot about "specially formulated for enhanced whatever" but nobody has adequately explained to me why something that can protect the cylinder walls of an LS7 at redline is inadequate for my single stack. Haven't tried the grease though.

Maybe I can get Royal Purple or Mobil One to sponsor me. If they sent me a quart I could probably make it through 2 years of everything I shoot.

I have been using Royal Purple for 6 years and would not use anything else. I was told to use it by a top name gunsmith that built my Open, Limited, and SS. He said he has been using it since it came out.

I just bought a can of Caster Bean oil.. i use to use it in my race motorcyles... even put a few capfulls in my tank.. i loved the smell.. i will try using it on my guns.. its real slick and high temp resistant..

Gang...In a pinch at a remote range I was forced to improvise with a tube of mobile one heavy synthetic shockproof grease on an Ar. Performance, cleanup and reliability were stellar. In fact, better than any of the so called specialty lubes marketed to gun owners. I suppose it's not surprising given that the stuff is nsn'd for aerospace use in shit like aircraft wheel bearings but I was a little surprised.

I have been running it for the about 5k rounds in a sig 1911 and am stunned by the results. I did up spring the gun slightly to address the drag of the more viscous lube, but never had a stoppage. All bearing surfaces look new. Is this the lube, the sig finish or both?

Any one else played around with this stuff?

I use synthetic wheelbearing grease on all my firearms... when they get hot, it's one of the few things that will prevent wear. Long after traditional oils have turned to varnish, grease hangs on and keeps at it's job. And powder fouling is not a concern given that grease is formulated to encapsulate contaminants.

Just be cautious using grease in cold temperatures because it will really slow the slide up and cause reliability issues.

True. When shooting my M46 S&W or 2011 or Ruger MkII 10" at 10 below, I will "cut" the grease with 20% synthetic oil.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been using Mobil 1, 5w-30 oil in all my guns. It won't accumulate dirt like the grease would. And when temps are near freezing in some of our winter matches here in NY, the guns actions won't slow down. And even in extreme heat in summer, the Mobil 1 does not fling off or evaporate.

And as an added bonus, if you swab your guns bore with a very light coating of Mobil 1, you'll find you get less fouling buildup and an easier to clean gun bore. That oil is like magic.

I stumbled across this thread, and now have a question--I shoot in the St Louis area, so we see a wide range of temps during the shooting season (generally March thru November). Is there a weight of oil/grease you find works well across the spectrum of 30-ish to 100-ish? I'd like to use only one type of oil or grease.

Although I do have a lot of cash invested in gun-specific lubes . . . . :surprise:

OK, I guess one more question--what are you using to clean your guns? Are you using Hoppes or something similar?

frag316, I think you would be just fine starting out with 5W30 , any Synthetic oil of your choice ie, Mobil One etc. and then work up from there with thicker oils until you get to grease, if you want to try that. ( a little goes a long way. )

As for cleaning the guns, your going to get alot of different replies here. For me, when it gets really bad and caked on, I end up using brake clean, I shoot the whole gun down, and let it dry. But thats not a good idea for polymer guns, mine is all steel.

Best of luck.