Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147gr powder for less snap

JunotFranco

Hello guys, wonder if you could help me. I am using 147 gr JHP Winchester bullets with 3.7 gr Win 231B and although I am getting the speeds that I want I am still feeling a bit of a snap. Any other powder that you would recommend for this bullet? Thanks!!

Ive read big difference's in powder weight on here for 147g HP's. Anywhere from 3.0-3.8, saying they all make 130PF .......FOR THE SAME POWDERS Obviously I will be doing my own tests but I need a starting point. Im guessing the difference in powders is one must be shooting 147g lead plated or lead & one must be shooting jacketed ?? In my research I believe I read a jacketed bullet (of the same weight) will take more powder to make the same PF. Please correct my if Im misinformed. Most of my confusion comes when posters dont give alot of detail, like, "I shoot 147's with W231 & get 132PF".....ok great but what BULLET ........... is it Rainier, MG, Berry's ,Zero ???? What TYPE.......... is it RN, FN, HP, HBFN ????? what OAL ????? What gun ?????

So to the OP I will say (with very little experience)

147g Rainier Hollow point

3.1g HP-38/W231

OAL 1.155

CCI 500 spp

mixed brass

Glock 34 (stock)

1.9" group from 20 yds benched

This is the only 147 load Ive worked up yet but I have HP-38/W231 as well as Titegroup. If anyone has some more load data that has these specifics(It dosnt have to be out of a G34...but that helps :D ) please share.... Ive been reading/ searching for weeks and the closest thing to "all the info I need" that I could find was a post by Daryl..... Thanks !

The differences are the barrels and chambers. 1 barrel may have a tight chamber and loose bore and any combination of these. Can also be from different OAL's.

My PF is from a G17 that's 7 years old.

Edited by RePete

The key to the least recoil is to use a gunpowder that requires the smallest charge weight for the same velocity. The thing to watch for is that pressure does not get too high because using a fast burning gunpowder means that you might reach maximum pressure before you reach your desired velocity. This is explained at the website links below along with actual recoil/gunpowder data.

http://38super.net/Pages/Recoil.html

http://38super.net/Pages/Gunpowder.html

There are many on this forum who believe that Clays is not a good powder for what you are trying to achieve. However, with that being said, I have found that 3.3 grains Clays/147 Zero JHP's will easily make minor in my CZ85; produces the softest recoil imaginable; and, has given me absolutely no trouble. The burn rate of Clays is almost identical to Bullseye and very similar to VV320. (VV310 is even faster.) Any of these powders should produce the result for which you seek. Pay attention to what superdude cautioned.

There are many on this forum who believe that Clays is not a good powder for what you are trying to achieve.

Why is that? I use 3.2 universal clays /147gr lead and recoil in my glock 34 is like a duck fart.

0326 -

Clays is different than Universal Clays. I use both for different things.

Clays is a but temp sensitive and gets goofy in the cold. It also gets quirky at higher pressures. It works fine in 45 ACP and 12 gauge. Not so well in 9mm.

Universal is closer to Unique in burn rate. Better for higher pressure loads e.g., 9mm, 40 S&W, 20 gauge and 28 gauge.

I burn a lot of both powders, along with International Clays, in shotguns. The Clays designation causes a lot of confusion.

- John

There are many on this forum who believe that Clays is not a good powder for what you are trying to achieve.

Universal is closer to Unique in burn rate.

- John

Gotcha, I had read that somewhere but I didn't remember. I was half paying attention at the time lol.

I have recently started to use Ramshot's Competition powder, which is also designed for shotgun loads.

At 3.2gr with 147gr bear creek moly bullets, it works out to 135 PF shot out of a STI edge.

I was amazed the power factor was that high, it feels way softer than tight group at the same velocity.

Edited by CraigS.

What velocity are you wanting? Faster powders will produce your "snap" that you seem to dislike and slower powders will give you more of a push. TG, N310, N320, Solo, Clays are all faster powders. TG is especially snappy and hot, since it is a double-base powder.

In terms of felt recoil and velocities aside, I'd highly recommend WSF, N340, Unique, 7625 and others in that burn rate area for less "snap". My personal favorite is WSF. It is exceptionally accurate in all my pistols, gives me almost any velocity I want and is not "snappy" IMO. It also works very well with heavier 147 grain bullets.

With all that said, recoil is 99% individual perception. So, everyone is going to have a different opinion on it. But like others have said, powder is all but non-existent right now, so good luck on finding any to experiment with. If I were you, I'd stick with 231 for now; that is a great all-around powder; gives good velocities, not to snappy and not too pushy in either direction IMO. I really liked 231 in 9mm.

Good luck!

Just to be different...

I know it's not what most would recommend but I've had great results with this load using Power Pistol. Have to use Federal brass and a Lyman M Die to prevent case bulge. The larger diameter plated bullet shoots great out of my 17L and XDM9 5.25 (plated .355s sucked!) None of the muzzle flash and recoil Power Pistol is famous for.

Gun: Glock 17L (ISMI 13 lbs recoil spring and Jager Polymer Guide Rod)

Bullet: Bullet Works 147 gr. Plated RN (.357)

Powder: Alliant Power Pistol 4.3 grs.

Primer: Federal 100

Case: Federal

LOAL: 1.145

Average Velocity: 916.41 fps

ES: 30.58

SD: 10.04

Edited by pbcaster45

Ive read big difference's in powder weight on here for 147g HP's. Anywhere from 3.0-3.8, saying they all make 130PF .......FOR THE SAME POWDERS Obviously I will be doing my own tests but I need a starting point. Im guessing the difference in powders is one must be shooting 147g lead plated or lead & one must be shooting jacketed ?? In my research I believe I read a jacketed bullet (of the same weight) will take more powder to make the same PF. Please correct my if Im misinformed. Most of my confusion comes when posters dont give alot of detail, like, "I shoot 147's with W231 & get 132PF".....ok great but what BULLET ........... is it Rainier, MG, Berry's ,Zero ???? What TYPE.......... is it RN, FN, HP, HBFN ????? what OAL ????? What gun ?????

So to the OP I will say (with very little experience)

147g Rainier Hollow point

3.1g HP-38/W231

OAL 1.155

CCI 500 spp

mixed brass

Glock 34 (stock)

1.9" group from 20 yds benched

This is the only 147 load Ive worked up yet but I have HP-38/W231 as well as Titegroup. If anyone has some more load data that has these specifics(It dosnt have to be out of a G34...but that helps :D ) please share.... Ive been reading/ searching for weeks and the closest thing to "all the info I need" that I could find was a post by Daryl..... Thanks !

Finally got out to chrono this & to nobody's surprise ....it only produced a 119.1 PF.....testing TG loads tomorrow to add to my data base....

• 4 weeks later...

I have tried Clays, Titegroup and WSF with 147gr. bullets. My perception was that clays was the softest, titegroup was next and WSF had the strongest recoil impulse. These were all loaded to the same pf (~130). I was surprised that the titegroup felt pretty good to me as I really notice a big difference between clays and titegroup with 124gr. projectiles. At some point after the testing I shot up the extra loads for practice. I shot the WSF loads first and then went to the clays. Even though I had tested it before I was surprised at how much softer the clays felt. I think part of that perception may have to do with the report as the WSF also seemed louder to me.

3.1 gr universal its really soft, smoky with lead no problem with jacketed, both make minor and them some in my guns

3.6 WSF real nice also

All depends on what you have or can get yor hands on