Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What was the first hicap 1911 used in USPSA competition?

Krag

I know George Huening built a gun for Barnhardt/Wilson that was a 1911 frame that took hi-cap mags. I'm pretty sure that one off gun was built in response to Springfield importing the P9. That was all long before my time in the sport, so I look forward to hearing from some of the guys who were active back then.

Yes, in 1985 or 1986 i saw a custom built at the Kansas City Indoor match. A 1911 frame was split and fillers put in and it used some magazine from Europe. It was in .38 super. I remember the builder's first name was Otto (Otto Comp Gunsmith) and his last name was something like Mytuskya.

I'd say the first commercial was the Para Ordnance. Then maybe the McCormick (which was the Strayer/Tripp) as Chip sold them for awhile before sales taken in house. I had one of those.

Course in the early days you had the Browning HP, which won a lot of the very early IPSC matches. It predated the previously mentioned ones.

The PF was the hinderance to the HiPower pistols. If SA pistols were allowed in production they would probably be very competitive. The first I remember seeing was the Para pistols. I thought though that originally didn't they come as a kit?

Company was founded in 1985. I had Pegram build me a 45 in 1986 or 87. Was told by a local MD that I couldn't shoot it at the match because it held "more bullets" than anyone else there.

LOL

Yes, in 1985 or 1986 i saw a custom built at the Kansas City Indoor match. A 1911 frame was split and fillers put in and it used some magazine from Europe. It was in .38 super. I remember the builder's first name was Otto (Otto Comp Gunsmith) and his last name was something like Mytuskya.

Otto Matyska IIRC. Built great guns. Is he still in the business? In addition to Barnhart's custom job that, IIRC, he used to win the first nationals with a doublestack (and maybe the first nationals with a red dot) back in 1990, Jim Boland also built a doublestack in the mid-late 1980s that was featured in American Handgunner. IIRC, he had cut the bottom off a 1911 and fit another grip frame on that allowed it to accept some sort of doublestack mag (HK P7?). On the same gun he had also cut off and rewelded the slide and frame rails so they were reversed like a CZ or Tanfoglio. That man was a genius!

The first commercial effort was Para-Ordnance producing frame kits around 1989. Then Chip McCormick selling what later became known ad the S_I kits under his name around 1990-1991. Caspian came around about the same time as Chip's. For a while, there was a company named Entreprise Arms that made frame kits that were similar to Paras but had squared triggerguards shortly after Chip's and Caspian's.

Besides Barnhart's one-off, Doug Koenig and TGO started using Tanfoglios in 9x21 to get around the 9x19 major ban. Meanwhile, Michael Plaxico, Tommy Campbell, and Brian Enos were using modified S&W doublestacks (5906?) shooting .356TSW which was like 9x21.5.

Edited by mpolans

The PF was the hinderance to the HiPower pistols. If SA pistols were allowed in production they would probably be very competitive. The first I remember seeing was the Para pistols. I thought though that originally didn't they come as a kit?

Remember a late '80's Area 3 match in St. Louis that had a 16 round stand and shoot, and Mytisku had the only Hi Cap there, it was quite the talk.

A very good local shooter tried a HP with major loads and it beat it to death in just a few rounds.

The problem with the Hi Caps was always getting a good magazine, one that would function reliably.

The S&W they were using, including Todd Jarret he even had a 9TJ round named after him, were SA special project guns.

Edited by pskys2

Had a Caspian about '92 and loved it, had a Para in '90 and never could get it up and running right. Went to a Nationals in the early ;90's and used a 1911 Open Gun rather than the Para even. Now have an STI and like it as well as the Caspian.

Wasn't USPSA then. IPSC USA.

The Para frames were definitely around in the middish 80's. John Dixon had one very early on. Made out of beryllium copper.

Jerry's gun was built by George Heuning as I remember, I'll ask him.

Jim Boland gun that Jim Zubiena 1st shot used P7 M13 mags.

P9's were in 89 I think. Doug won WS in Australia in 90 with scoped P9 in 9x21.

Georgino built one for DK and I had 2. Mine were first. George needs to tell you how they all came together.

Tommy Campbell was shooting prototype M59 in the 80, maybe earlier. 9 minor.

There's more....

The Para frames were definitely around in the middish 80's. John Dixon had one very early on. Made out of beryllium copper.

Georgino built one for DK and I had 2. Mine were first. George needs to tell you how they all came together.

There's more....

"Georgino" is currently building me a single stack. I'll have to talk to him about this next time I see him. He's still got the skills...

Otto Matyska shot the first Hi-Cap at a USPSA Nationals in 1988 or 1989 at PASA. I think it was 1989. It was a prototype gun in .38 Super and he cast the frame himself. The magazines came from Europe and held 19 rounds. The gun had a semi-profile compensator with multiple chambers and ports. The mag funnel was integrated into the frame and was huge. The gun also had a pivot trigger. The frame is at Otto's shop now with a few cracks in it. The gun had easily 100k through it at a 180 or better power factor as major was 175 at the time. I personally shot around 500 rounds out of the gun. The frame has a striking resembalance to a Caspian Hi Cap...... Which is the brand of Hi-Cap Otto built for me in 1993 and I continue to shoot.

Otto is still in business and is as busy as ever. I'm proud to call him a friend!

Marty

A-7424

Edited by martyg00

Otto Matyska shot the first Hi-Cap at a USPSA Nationals in 1988 or 1989 at PASA. I think it was 1989. It was a prototype gun in .38 Super and he cast the frame himself. The magazines came from Europe and held 19 rounds. The gun had a semi-profile compensator with multiple chambers and ports. The mag funnel was integrated into the frame and was huge. The gun also had a pivot trigger. The frame is at Otto's shop now with a few cracks in it. The gun had easily 100k through it at a 180 or better power factor as major was 175 at the time. I personally shot around 500 rounds out of the gun. The frame has a striking resembalance to a Caspian Hi Cap...... Which is the brand of Hi-Cap Otto built for me in 1993 and I continue to shoot.

Otto is still in business and is as busy as ever. I'm proud to call him a friend!

Marty

A-7424

John Dixon's Para framed hi cap was a little ahead of this I think. Someone oughta ask him. Those frames were kinda crappy at the time and no one else wanted one, but they did improve them dramatically very soon after. They had a second generation model that was much thinner and better recieved. I'm thinking Dixon's was a .45 around 1985-86. Not real sure.

From Rob's post:

John Dixon's Para framed hi cap was a little ahead of this I think. Someone oughta ask him. Those frames were kinda crappy at the time and no one else wanted one, but they did improve them dramatically very soon after. They had a second generation model that was much thinner and better recieved. I'm thinking Dixon's was a .45 around 1985-86. Not real sure.

My post

I watched John Dixon shoot the copper berylllium framed Para in the 1986 ( I think) Texas Challenge near Austin Texas. It was in .45acp and he had received the frame about a week before the match. He slapped it together and probably beat everybody there. He dominated our area back then although Chip McCormick would occasionally show up at that match and a guy named Jeff ? would give him a run for his money. Not long after that guys were building .38 supers on the Para frames and having magazines handmade at $125 a copy in 1987-1988 money.

From Rob's post:

My post

I watched John Dixon shoot the copper berylllium framed Para in the 1986 ( I think) Texas Challenge near Austin Texas. It was in .45acp and he had received the frame about a week before the match. He slapped it together and probably beat everybody there. He dominated our area back then although Chip McCormick would occasionally show up at that match and a guy named Jeff ? would give him a run for his money. Not long after that guys were building .38 supers on the Para frames and having magazines handmade at $125 a copy in 1987-1988 money.

that would be jeff wassum.

From Rob's post:

My post

that would be jeff wassum.

Don't know about Jeff, But do know about John Dixon.

There's more....

I remember '92 I had just ordered a custom P9 9x21 because that's what you guys had been using. Then you all showed up at the '92 North Americans with the Caspian Hi caps....I was devastated...lol