Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good .22LR Steel Challenge Ammo

Bunchies95

What is good .22LR ammo to use for Steel Challenge? I have a Beretta 87T. Lately I have been using Winchester in the bulk box. It is no where near reliable enough for me to take to a match, but hey it's cheap. For my match ammo I won't balk at price too much, I'll just find cheap practice ammo.

All I ever shoot is Blazer. 40g and High Velocity. It runs in all my guns. (The stuff out now is not the older type that was so dirty.) It is as cheap as anything, bulk. (500 @ $16 around here...last year, anyway)

Here is a picture of a group (10-shots) from my off-the-rack Marlin...with a crappy trigger and terrible sights. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=124550&hl=+marlin#entry1407258

I run Blazer in my Colt Match Target (Steel Challenge, bowling pins, and some Bullseye) and in my Advantage Arms (AA) conversion for my Glock. The AA kit specifies using 40g High Velocity.

Anderson runs an 87T. Not sure what he feeds it.

Down here it's kind of "whatever you can find" right now.

When the craziness subsides I would suggest the CCI minimags, I prefer the 36gn HP.

Lately I've been using the ridiculously branded "choot-em" bulk packs, no annoying plastic cases to mess with and minor cost savings.

Federal bulk makes a good practice substitute.

I like the Federal Automatch as well, it just didn't go as many rounds between failures for me as the CCI did. I don't know if it was bullet lube, powder, both but it was noticeably dirtier than the CCI.

I usually use Federal bulk packs, but I've used CCI Mini Mags and CCI SV as well. My 10/22 runs anything I feed it. My 22/45 is finicky, but I cant figure out of it's magazine or ammo related.

You want the most reliable ammo for matches that are important to you.

CCI has the best QC and mainstream priming available at reasonable prices if you buy in bulk. Anything Eley primed also tops, like the Wolf and SK ammo, which is damn close to the Lapua cartridges, since they are made or at least were in the same plant.....hint hint....

Federal Automatch is really good, but pricey for what it is.

That info is correct now, but until the panic is over you will have to get what you can get..... :goof:

Good luck,

DougC

CCI-MM for my pistols. My open BM had a run of 49 straight matches with no duds or malfunctions from 2011 to well past the RR WC in 2012. I will use Fed AM if I can't find any MM. As for my rifles shooting speed events, either my .CMMG .22 conversion in either AR or my 2 M&P AR15-22s work 100% with CCI -Tactical. Whether the differently shaped nose realy does improve feeding I have no clue. It is slightly more reliable than Win M-22. I use the M-22 for rifle practice and Fed 550 bulk for pistol when I can get it.

• 6 months later...

Remington 37gr "Golden Bullet" bulk produces groups out of my 10/22 that are half the size of Federal Auto-Match, which is also far less reliable... out of my 10/22. And the price is right from Wally World. Fact is, every rimfire is different, and you just have to experiment. CCI Standard Velocity shoots the best out of my rifle, but it's a little pricey and shoots so quietly it runs the risk of not being picked up on a shot timer, so I don't use it anymore just for the shot timer reason. Would like to try CCI high velocity (non-minimag) but haven't been able to find any yet due to the craziness. IMHO, for steel, you don't need to spend a fortune on super-accurate ammo, especially if you're shooting a rifle. Reliability needs to be concern #1. After that, if a lower price allows for more practice, then "very good" accuracy rather than "excellent" accuracy is good enough in this game.

I like Wolf and SK for my Volquartsen V10X. I won the steel match last Saturday with it. For my Kimber 1911and Ruger 22/45 I like the CCI mini mags and the Federal auto match as it is higher velocity which is needed for the Kimber. The standard velocity is more accurate and recommended for the Volquartsen. The Captain

• 5 weeks later...

I have been using Gemtech Silencer Subsonic this year in both my Volquartsen rifle and pistol. I was encountering too many fail to fire rounds with the bulk ammos. I understand the Gemtech ammo is made by CCI and uses a 42 grain bullet at an advertised 1020 feet per second. The ammo was suggested by a shooter that is more focused on accuracy (whatever that is). It's more expensive than the bulk stuff, but the reliability is worth it to me and if I ever get a suppressor, woohoo!!

RimfireIdaho

• 2 months later...

CCI AR Tactical works in all of my rifles, CZ-512, 10/22's, AR style 22's, pumps, bolts and levers. Federal Automatch works in all of the pistols, Sig 1911-22, Buckmarks, Model 41, S&W M&P22 and 2213, Revolvers. Gemtech works in everything. All three of these rimfire loads produce good to great accuracy when I take my time and shot groups.

The CCI AR Tactical stuff runs my trusty Smith and Wesson 22A as well as it turns my Smith and Wesson 15-22. I went with Lapua OSP Pistol Ammo for the same Smith and Wesson 22A during the 2013 Steel Challenge in Frostproof without any issues.

• 3 weeks later...