Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good powder for 3 gun loads

Akkid17

I am just starting to get into handloading 223 and I was wondering what powder would lend itself well to standard 50-55 gr hoser loads and longer range 69-77gr match loads. Not too worried about matching zeros (if it happens, bonus, but not necessary) just 2ish moa max in the hoser load and sub moa in the longer bullets. I know both guns are capable of this with xm193 getting .8-1 moa without too much trouble. I have some bl-c2 that a friend gave me from his 62gr steel core clone loads so I figured I'd start with that. Or, am I too optimistic about being able to get two with one powder and it would be better to go with a different powder for each load?

If you could put your load data in with the powder recommendation I'd appreciate it. And I am planning on using either 50 gr JHP or 55 gr FMJ Montana golds for the bulk loads and I haven't decided on the long range bullet yet, I like the capabilities of the 77's out there but I'm up for suggestions.

Thanks for helping out!

For load data, check out the different manufacturers websites, they have more load data than you will want.

Next, get a crono. Do not do load developing without one.

For the lighter, cheaper hoser bullets try 335, 2230, or use the bl-c2.,

For long range precision loads, varget, tac, or rl15.

Welcome to 3gun!

jj

Lots of choices but I settled on Ramshot TAC and didnt look back. Its good for heavy stuff and also suggested as one of the powders for duplicating the M193 55gr load. I am planning on doing the 55 gr stuff along with the 69 gr I already do.

I've been using WC844 surplus military powder that I buy from http://www.hi-techammo.com/hitech.zkb?root&method&object-menu0

Loads like H335 and cost like $80 for 8 lbs keg. I've had very good results with functioning. Haven't really sit down and benched my 3 gun rifle but I did bench my open sighted A2 AR yesterday and it was holding 2" at 100 yards...so good enough for hoser loads. You have to pay hazmat fee but I order primers at the same time and it's still a lot cheaper than what I can get around home.

I use Varget for my long range rifle and I just bought a 8 pounder for $145 so saved me bunches.

The WC 844 meters well and I just bought a powder funnel for .223 so I can use my Dillon 550B. Should work pretty well.

Thanks for the input,

I already have a chrono (rcbs bullet seems alright for pistol speeds not sure how it will fair for the rifle especially with the winter cold killing the battery ) for gettin my pistol loads all set up I just started delving into the rifle reloading because my previous ammo place finally passed my price per bullet ceiling. I have the Lyman 49th edition hand loader book, are there any other must haves out there? I've found that it covers just enough to get started but the bullet selection in there can be a bit constrained at times especially with the vast amounts of available bullets and the limited powders i can get my hands on here in alaska especially with the outrageous costs associated with purchasing on the Internet and having it shipped up.

Also, just as an observation, it seems there is a lot more humility and reservation in giving recommendations for rifle reloading than with pistol. I remember when I started looking through the enoverse for pistol data and talking with people there was a lot of hard line opinions saying that here is only one powder and one bullet type for every caliber. Kind of amusing to see the difference

Thanks again for the help

Hello: BL-C(2), Varget,H335 and Benchmark should work for you. You will have to do some testing to see what works best for your rifle and press. I am in that process right now also. Thanks, Eric

So far, i've had the best luck with Benchmark and 75 grain loads. It also did really well with 60 grain vmax loads. 8208 did well, but i lost alot of velocity when i switched over. I'm consistantly playing with loads, but for now 23.5 grains of benchmark over a 75 BTHP gets me 2730 fps and hammers larue targets at 300.

Shot a little bit of the bl-c(2) that I have and had pretty decent groups about 2" at 50yd for a relatively quick 10-shot group. Decent impulse on my 14.5" carbine. Didn't have my 16" mids with me that day. But I figure since the 14.5 is the most sensitive to cold weather cycling it would only get better with the other two. Unfortunately my chrono didn't want to work with the cold temps and took a dump on me just as I was about to fire the first string

Load:

55gr JHP Sierra (nice bullet but a little spendy for bulk)

24gr bl-c(2) (Lyman middle load to keep away from any potential high pressure issues)

2.260" oal (a little long for pmags might shorten with chrono to test, to avoid potential feed/mag issues)

Very light crimp (maybe .002 -.004" change in neck size)

post-40105-0-20406800-1355893102_thumb.j

I selected 2230 to start, and have been happy with it loading an 8# jug under 62 gr & 68 gr pills. I am considering TAC as an alternative, it seems like it has a better profile for heavier tips. I just hate starting all over, it's a real PITA to get out & chrono & accuracy/fxn test before loading a batch.... :angry:

For sure, especially when it's not nearly as pleasant outside for shooting. Haha.

Another guy I shoot with regularly shoots 2230 and pretty much said its the only way to go for bulk. He loads it with 55gr Montana golds. FWIW, With his firebird precision AR he's been getting steady sub moa groups, but this is with a full on match custom gun. Which none of my blaster are near.

For sure, especially when it's not nearly as pleasant outside for shooting. Haha.

Another guy I shoot with regularly shoots 2230 and pretty much said its the only way to go for bulk. He loads it with 55gr Montana golds. FWIW, With his firebird precision AR he's been getting steady sub moa groups, but this is with a full on match custom gun. Which none of my blaster are near.

What's his charge weight with AA2230?

I just picked up 8 lbs. to try.

I've been using WC844 surplus military powder that I buy from http://www.hi-techammo.com/hitech.zkb?root&method&object-menu0

Loads like H335 and cost like $80 for 8 lbs keg. I've had very good results with functioning. Haven't really sit down and benched my 3 gun rifle but I did bench my open sighted A2 AR yesterday and it was holding 2" at 100 yards...so good enough for hoser loads. You have to pay hazmat fee but I order primers at the same time and it's still a lot cheaper than what I can get around home.

I use Varget for my long range rifle and I just bought a 8 pounder for $145 so saved me bunches.

The WC 844 meters well and I just bought a powder funnel for .223 so I can use my Dillon 550B. Should work pretty well.

Out of stock. Just like pretty much all supplies at the moment.

Edited by Kent Grewe

I use TAC in my 69gr and 55gr loads. Its the cleanest powder I have tried and I have tried several. Varget is one I have not tried but one of the manuals I have recommends it as the most accurate powder for 223. I know lots of guys who would agree, I would recommend either.

For blaster 55gr loads I use the hornady FMJBT with 23.8 grains of X-terminator, and for long range loans I use 23.7 grains of TAC with a 77gr SMK.

Both shoot and work flawless, if you wanted to just use one powder TAC would be a good choice

What's his charge weight with AA2230?

I just picked up 8 lbs. to try.

He's running 24 grains @ 2.230" I can't remember the exact fps but it was around 26-2700 out of a jp 18" barrel

• 3 months later...

For AR loads, I use a variety of powder, but have my best luck with Winchester 748, TAC and H335, I also shoot 4895 and Varget once in a while. I just did a basic work up for my new barrel and 69gr Sierra BTHP and the 748 surprisingly gave me the best 100 yard group. i didnt tune it for days to get it perfect, I just didnt have the time, put together 6 loads, 2 each of varget, 748 and tac and went and shot. Extreme spreads were closer with the 748 and groups were noticeably better at 24.5gr of 748, which averaged 2640fps. So I just cranked out 500 of them for 3gun. I also loaded up another 400 of the 55fmj at 25 gr of TAC

• 2 weeks later...