Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jack Reacher

BobS761

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They just have to hire a bunch of shorter cast to make him look taller. Excellent books; especially the earlier ones. The latest (Wanted Man) is weak.

Are the munchkins still working? I like the books, except for the latest ones, but I wouldn't see a movie with Cruise as the lead.

Could dig a trench for Cruise like they did for Alan Ladd in some of his movies. (Probably not too clear - trench was for other actors, not for Ladd)

Seems a stretch when Reacher is 6'5" and 250 lbs.

I've read all of Lee Childs Reacher stories, reading the last one - Wanted Man - presently.

Edited by Steve RA

Just started reading the first book (thanks for pointing them out), and ya, it is funny, one of the descriptions is of a "Very large muscled man barely able to fit under the doorway, stood just slightly taller than me" You get the feeling that this should have been a Tom Selleck size part, but I have to agree, the shorter Tom can handle the action scenes pretty well.

Be interesting to see how much they follow the theme of the book in the Movie, either way, looks like a good book series.

• 3 weeks later...

Read some reviews of the movie. I have not seen it yet. But I fall into the category that Cruise is miscast as JR. Very much like he when he was to play the vampire Lestat.

The reviewers panned it also.

Cruise pretty much is playing the same character in all his movies, it is getting lame.

He did a good job in Collateral though. It was much grittier than his other stuff.

BTW: I started reading JR books way back when, so undoubtedly I am biased about who I envisioned what actor could play JR.

Edited by pjb45

I just went and saw it today. I have to say, the gun handling and stuff is pretty solid. And they use an OPEN rifle at the end of it! It clearly has a tactical scope and a 45' trijicon RMR on the side for close stuff. Not sure he uses it like that, but it is set up as an open gun, which is pretty sweet. All the snipers play HM and run a 308 socom M1A variant it looks like, too.

They do show a guy reloading ammo, but they make him out to be a nut. Oh well.

First, as a Reacher fan, the choice of Cruise was a disappointment.

I saw the movie today. It was good. Other than height and weight, Cruise nails Jack Reacher. Maybe no one else could get him like Cruise. For his dimunitive size, he got everything else about Reacher right imho. if i had my choice, I thought Liam Neeson would have given a good portrayal.

Strong enough on screen to pull it off anyway. In the end, I think they picked "screen presence" over everything else, and it's hard to argue that Cruise doesn't have that in abundance.

Again, I really liked it. I hated the typical Hollywood antigun/ gun people are nuts stuff. This attitude in any movie is standard fare nowadays. I guess I expected some of it.

In the end, go see it. It's good enough that 5'7" Cruise will make you forget he's actually a diminutive flake in real life.

I am on the third book now. had a chuckle when I read the "new" description of JR, He has been working doing day labor digging swimming pools by hand :"I dropped 20 pounds sweating, then put back on 30, all muscle", now stands at 6'5" 250lbs.

I thought that Jim Caviezel would have been good.

Going to see the movie this weekend, good to hear it did not totally suck.

Saw the Movie today, Wife and I both liked it.

Standing on its own it was a pretty good, if formulaic, action movie. Tom brought a good mix of humor and menace to the part. I know there will be a lot of fans from the book series that will not be pleased with the on-screen version of Jack Reacher, but, if you have not read the books the movie stands up pretty well.

If it does well they will have a lot of material to draw from, could be the next Die Hard franchise. (which we saw the trailer for the next installment for)

"Movie was great. Tom was good. Must have used a lot of short actors"

:cheers:

That right there is funny!

After Nicole and him divorced, the only comment she ever made was "At least I can wear heels again"

I liked it too, predictable, but good fun.